Alexis Park Inn And Suites

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

• KyttiKaht's Profile Photo

Aviationist's Dream

Oh wow. When the web site says that it will take 10 minutes to explain all of your options, they mean it! The options and choices were incredible--even down to picking out what I wanted for breakfast. I strongly recommend finding an aviation suite that suits your preferences, anything from bi-planes to races is available.

I always try to stay someplace unique whereever I end up--no cookie cutter "hotel smell" rooms for this traveler! And this was certainly one of the most unexpected gems of a stay. The room was "move-in" comfortable, the owners--and yes, I got to talk with them--were helpful and more accomodating than any consierge I've ever dealt with, and the theme kept me wandering around looking at pictures, fully entertained. There was a tub the size of most hotel bathrooms, and the convenience of ... every single aspect... was amazing.

I certainly WOULD recommend that someone--everyone--stay here. Even if you're just passing through Iowa City on I-80, and need to crash for the night. It's that "pick me up" that makes the trip about the journey, not the destination. I seriously wanted to delay my next stop. ...And I'm not even the airplane-nut-type that they successfully cater to.

Unique Quality: The facilities, oh boy. There's a pool, and that's always great; there's a fitness room, and it's more convenient than those "gym-rat" hole-in-the-walll kind you see as an after thought at some places. THERE IS AN ON-SITE MASSAGE THERAPIST. Need I say more?

Actually, yes, I do. I mentioned that I got choices for breakfast. I meant that I ordered food--down to the type of muffin--and it showed up at my door in the morning. With a paper. There's a whole GUIDE to the city in the room, and not one of those cut and paste deals that's out of date, either. The kitchen area made it feel like the whole deal was a lot better than my days in the dorms, or even my first two apartments!

There was a leather couch. I love that. None of the crappy "hotels don't trust you not to muss the furniture" treatment here. I had a bedroom; in fact every room is a suite, which is just lovely. There was another television in the bedroom, something you can't always count on when you're lucky (and paying) enough to get a bedroom. There was a great view from the balcony--where I watched the planes at the airport.

The tub, the breakfast, the massage, the ambiance, the theme--everything was incredible. And it's incredible by design; talking with the owners is about as close to "intelligent design" as you get--everything is done from the perspective of knowing what you want when you stay somewhere--and they made it happen. Big time.

Directions: Right by the Iowa City Airport--you can WATCH the planes--very fun. It's not even noisy or inconvenient--just a great source of entertainment while looking out your balcony.

• icywngs's Profile Photo

Most unique hotel in town

The Alexis Park inn is a very unique place to stay because the rooms are actually suites, each themed to a discrete part of aviation history. They have the Wright Brothers Suite, the Memphis Belle Suite, the Lindberg Suite, etc., and each one is decorated beautifully with period theming, and lots of aviation stuff. The hotel is right near the historic Iowa City Airport, so if you're flying in they'll pick you up. They have a pilot's lounge with wireless high speed internet access (which you can access from your room too) and all the weather information you would want. Definitely a must see!

Unique Quality: The suites have jacuzzi bathtubs and full kitchens. This really isn't your average hotel!

The owners are absolute aviation addicts, and those kind of people are fun! They can arrange a sightseeing flight for you - you're within spitting distance of Iowa City municipal airport.

They serve breakfast baskets in the morning to your room! The hotel is also within 1 mile of 50 restaurants, so plenty of grub is available close.

Check out their car rentals - $25/Day.

Highly recommended

Directions: Right near Hwy 6 and Hwy 1 intersection, on the edge of the Iowa City Municipal Airport.

Comments