201 South Linn Street, Iowa City, Iowa, 52240, United States

hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• leics's Profile Photo

Very modern....

I wouldn't normally stay in a 'studio suite' but on this rare occasion I was sharing with a family member, and thought initially (I was wrong) that it might be good if we could cater for ourselves.

The Hotel Vetro (pronounced 'Veeetro', by the way) is a modern building right in the middle of Iowa City, on the corner of the 'Pedmall' so is perfectly located for everything. There's a multi-storey car park (ok, a 'parking ramp') almost next door, which is extremely convenient and the hotel will validate your ticket at a reduced daily rate, which is also helpful. The hotel has long-term residential accommodation as well as guest rooms; residents have their own lift (elevator). Two other lifts served guests, and I never had to wait for more than a minute or so for one to arrive.

My room, on the fifth floor, was huge by UK standards: two queen-sized beds (pillow-topped and incredibly comfortable), a vast TV, two huge wardrobes, big bathroom and kitchen area equipped with fridge, dishwasher, sink, microwave and far more cupboards and drawers than one could possibly use as a hotel guest. An ironing board and iron were also in the room, something which proved very useful.

I had to ask for a 'kitchen box' (no charge) and it arrived promptly, with crockery, cutlery,l chopping board, sharp knife, frying pan and implements. But I didn't need to use it after all!

Water and Starbucks coffee pods were replaced daily, with sugar/sweetener and small milk cartons.

The bathroom had a deep tub and a good shower, with hairdryer, toiletries and ample towels provided. I personally didn't like the smell of the shower gel/shampoo very much, but that's a personal preference. One potential drawback is that the side of the bathtub were high: I am 5ft, and I could not step straight in. I had to sit on the side and swivel. This might cause problems for those who are less agile.

Staff were all very pleasant, very friendly and very helpful. They soon got to know who I was (I stayed for a week) and always engaged in general chit-chat as I passed through the lobby. The hotel is locked after 11pm, although you can gain access using your keycard (staff are still on duty), which was reassuring although I thought IC was an incredibly safe place to stay.

Air con was very efficient.

The Vetro has polished 'granite' (??) floors an clean, spare furnishings. The lobby has two Macs for guest use, with printing facilities, rooms have free and very efficient wifi and there are safe deposit boxes available at no charge (big enough for a netbook, not sure if they have any big enough for a laptop).

If you choose not to have your room cleaned you get a 5USD voucher, which you can set against a meal at 'Share', the restaurant attached to the Sheraton (which seems to be a sort of sister hotel, and is more-or-less next door) or set against your final bill.

Vetro guests can also use the Sheraton pool.

Iowa City does not have a vast choice of central hotels (just the Vetro and the Sheraton, to be honest). The Vetro was absolutely fine for my purposes on this trip, but I think I'd like to try the Sheraton to compare. Rates are much the same.

Directions: Take Highway 1 into the town. South Linn street meets E Burlington Street (Highway 1) and takes traffic in both directions. Park in the ramp on the corner of E Burlington and S Dubuque (can also be accessed from South Linn).

• Iowa City's Biggest Rip Off

The Hotel Vetro is all style and no service. An attempt at trendy, minimalist furnishings, complete with monochromatic employee uniforms straight out of the late 80's. There was no doorman to help us unload our bags, or to help us get in the door; no bellhops to bring the bags to the room; no valet (or at least there was none anywhere in sight), even though parking is in a city lot on the corner (that the hotel at least will validate); the hot water broke in our room (and apparently in many others in the hotel) and we were told that we could go down the block to use a vacant room at The Sheraton "if we wanted to take a shower"; 1 of only 2 elevators available to guests was broken, the other's floor was covered with muddy footprints, that were never cleaned up in the 24 hrs that we were there. The hotel has sealed concrete floors in the guest rooms and the hallways, which look great, but echo and amplify every sound; as a result, the rooms are anything but quiet. The restaurant, Formosa, continued the same condescending attitude. We witnessed several unhappy potential patrons leave before being seated (as did we) when a wait time of "15 to 20 minutes" progressed into more than an hour with no end in sight and a bad attitude to go with it. This hotel is trying VERY hard to be a scene, unfortunately at the expense of it's clientele. Someone needs to remind the management that this is IOWA City not NEW YORK City. The Hotel Vetro is certainly not worth the money.

Directions: Downtown Iowa City