Super 8 Motel - Pella

Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Pella

A windmill in PellaA windmill in Pella

The restaurant in the backThe restaurant in the back

Pella Street ScenePella Street Scene

Tulip Time MonumentTulip Time Monument

Travel Tips for Pella

Is it local or is it dutch ?

by mafootje

In the many shops in Pella you can find "delfts blue" and dutch treats....

They have windmills, tiles, Amsterdam Canal houses wooden shoes and more....

Beside that you can even buy "korrels", chocolate and more dutch imported food.

But can we say that these are local customs ? I think for Pella they are maybe not everyone eats "Boerenkool met worst" but i bet there are a few that really do that.

I wouldn't know it sure seems like it, this town has taken on the dutch customs as if they were their own.

Picture taken june 10, 2004

Pella

by where2next

I stopped in Pella on my way from Des Moines to Cedar Rapids. It was about an hour detour. I stopped as I had read in a AAA guide that it was settled by Dutch, and so I thought I would check it out. Here is a link I found on Pella.

Pella - All You Need to Know!

I will admit one of my reasons for stopping was to try some Dutch food...and I found it at two local bakeries that are located a few stores apart. They make somethings called Dutch Letters which is baked dough shaped in a letter S filled with almond paste. Hm, Hm, Good! Although remote, Pella, sure knows how to market. I found this web site. Almost tempted to order up some Dutch Letters. Maybe for my sisters for the Holidays.

Dutch Bakery

Each year in May they have a Tulip Fest....from what I saw in brochures it looks like a big event.

So, if your are driving across Iowa on I-80, perhaps take a detour towards towards Pella.

Comments