Kansas Hotels

• Astrobuck profile photo Astrobuck
  • Reviews: 507

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dodge House Inn and Convention Center: Best Accomodations in Dodge

I stayed here once in 1990....I returned 18 years later and discovered some minor changes....there have been many updates to the Inn; but it still retains the memory of when I was there years ago. It has a pool, hot tub, fitness center, and a restaurant/saloon.

The great thing is, you can get a voucher for breakfast if you stay there. The staff is very professional and very helpful.

The motel lobby is decorated entirely rustic.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Singles, Seniors, Family Travel
  • Written July 27, 2008

• ScubaCat profile photo ScubaCat
  • Reviews: 70

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel at Old Town: Wichita's Newest Hotel

Old Town Hotel is what many consider to be the best hotel Wichita has to offer. It is centrally located in Old Town, Downtown. The service is impecible and they do aim to please. Whatever your desire, the hotel will try to accomidate in any way possible, even if that means running down to the grocery store to get you toothpaste. The rooms have high ceilings and are fashioned in an old type bed and breakfast decor. The suites have the same decor with an extra bonus of a fully stocked kitchen area, complete with popcorn, tea, coffee & granola bars.

Among it's fantastic service and wonderful rooms, the hotel is packed full of history. On each of it's five floors you can stroll the halls looking at many of the exhibits from old machinery parts to history that has occured over the years in Wichita.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Historical Travel, Business Travel
  • Written November 27, 2005

Hotel at Old Town

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Best Western - Fort Scott: As the Trains Rumble By

By about 4 PM, I had decided that was enough driving for one day and pulled into the small town of Fort Scott at its first intersection. The helpful lady at the tourist office, handily located there, told me that the Best Western, within walking distance, was one of the two best places to stay in town. I decided to take her advice and stay there since it would allow me to just leave the car and walk up into the restaurant area later on when I felt like eating.

The staff was friendly and the room was basic but clean. I was given one on the lower level at the back of the hotel, facing Highway 69 and its parallel railroad tracks. As I sat there working away on my laptop, one of the many extemely long freight trains passed-by with quite a sequence of blasts on its horn. I thought that I was going to have trouble sleeping overnight, because the trains seemed to rumble by just about every hour. However, a couple of cold Wheat Beers by Boulevard Brewing must have dulled my senses, because I had a good sleep in the end.

The room cost US$52 (with tax it was $58).

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Business Travel
  • Written November 19, 2004

Alone With My Car

• Stephen-KarenConn profile photo Stephen-KarenConn
  • Reviews: 2608

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Glen Elder State Park and Reservoir: Lakefront Camping

My grandchildren, Alexandria, Nicholas and I, stopped for the night here on our road trip from Colorado to Ohio, on a VERY hot July afternoon. Shortly after popping up our camper we were pleased to see a thunderstorm brewing across the lake. We watched the lightning, heard the thunder, and could see the distant rain pouring from dark brooding clouds, but the skies directly above our campsite remained blue. It was wierd. Still the cooling winds from the storm came gusting across the lake for which we were very thankful.

After the storm we did a bit of hiking, then settled down for the night. The children begged me to tell them stories of the Seersucker, a creature who lives at the bottom of the lake and comes out at night to seek his prey. I've never seen a Seersucker, but my Daddy used to tell me about the mysterious creature, and he had heard the tales from his own father, and perhaps his father's father way back in North Georgia long ago. The lapping of the waves on the shore enhanced the effect of the story. We couldn't see the Seersucker that evening, but Alexandria definitely thought she heard him. It was a wonderful and fun night that we will long remember.

Glen Elder State Park is on the shores of 12,500 acre Waconda Lake, one of the largest reservoirs in Kansas, and reportedly also one of the best fishing spots in the state. Campgrounds in the Park offer both electric/water and primitive sites. We went for the primitive because we would rather be right on the lake than to have electricity. Potable water was nearby, as was a modern bath house and shower facilities. This is a sparsely populated part of Kansas; we saw only a couple of other people camping there that night.

There is a daily $6.50 vehicle fee at Kansas State Parks, and an $8.00 camping fee.

• Related to: Camping, National/State Park, Road Trip
  • Written July 30, 2004

Nick and Alex in Front of Our Camper

• KaiM profile photo KaiM
  • Reviews: 375

Motel 6: Cheap and clean

Road trips through the States? Where to stay? If you have visited some of my other VT pages you should take the right guess about what my lodging recommendation will be. Yeah, it´s Motel 6. And that´s where I stayed at Salina, Kansas. Actually it was hard to find a room, because of a basketball tournament in town.

• Written September 12, 2002

• brdwtchr profile photo brdwtchr
  • Reviews: 1398

Kansas has plenty of hotels...

Kansas has plenty of hotels for all those people passing through. If you get on the internet and search for bed and breakfast places at http://www.kbba.com/ you will find there are quite a few. Certainly the most unique 'bed and breakfast' is called Hedrick's Bed & Breakfast Inn. The night I stayed at Hedrick's I got a tour of their exotic animal farm after breakfast. We got to meet zebras, giraffes, and in the picture my wife is with some friendly kangaroos.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written August 25, 2002

• Raxxillion profile photo Raxxillion
  • Reviews: 46

The Starlight motel in...

The Starlight motel in Junction City next to I-70. That is the one that Timothy 'I am such a loser' McVeigh stayed in before he tried to get back at the world for getting beat up in gym class. (Note to visitors: Timothy McVeigh bombed a Federal Building in Oklahoma. He is extremly hated in America.)
I talked the owner down to about $25 for a night after convincing him that my date was underage and deserved a discounted rate. She looked all of her actual 21 years, but me being a soldier I guess he took my word for it. Wait, is that a good thing or a bad thing???

You will see it from I-70. It is kind of reddish-pink.

• Written August 25, 2002