Union Park Guest House

807 South 7th Street, Leavenworth, Kansas, 66048, United States

More about Leavenworth

Typical cannon display with flagTypical cannon display with flag

Rows of monument stone markersRows of monument stone markers

Close up view of the main prison areaClose up view of the main prison area

Burt home on 5th Ave next to Carroll MansionBurt home on 5th Ave next to Carroll Mansion

Travel Tips for Leavenworth

Leavenworth, the first city of Kansas

by Maria250

In 1854 the City became known as the very "First City of Kansas". Col. Henry Leavenworth has founded Ft. Leavenworth in 1827 when many settlers headed West. Thousands of wagons on their way to OR and CA passed through Ft. Leavenworth.
And while my OK-ladies and me were rolling from MO to KS Leavenworth, I dreamed our drive was a hayride - through a marvelous land without fancy landmarks. Who needs fancy landmarks anyway..
If you love endless pastures the road to Leavenworth is pure pleasure. Not to mention the joy when meeting with great friends again.

Yes, "heartland" does refer do KS and its ppl! Their generosity and kindness are possibly "an holdover from the days when homesteaders showed up with hammers and hampers of food to help a neighbor raise a barn".
Now our drive wasn't a hayride and Leavenworth offers more than romantic dreams of the good ol'days. The city has a few Cultur and Arts Center (such as the Carnegie that is housed in the oldest library building of KS), museums, theaters, parks and a Performing Art Center, many occasions for sport activities, and recreation places, restaurants, pubs, a crazy club, and a restored antique Parker carousel. C.W.Parker was the Carnival King, and "made Leavenworth the carousel capital of the world by producing more carousels in Leavenworth than any other city in the US".

Melissa Etheridge was born in Leavenworth May 1961. "She now is not in Kansas anymore! Melissa Etheridge, the gutsy Midwest girl who grew up to be the heartland's gift to rock & roll..in her memoir she sets the record straight about her life on and off the stage..and the stories behind her songs."

and tomorrow be 1.000 miles away
I will be with you tonight
I will be with you as long as you say stay

One little piece of my soul
One little piece of my whole life
I give to you
Take it now..

I will be with you 1.000 miles away
Inside of you a piece of me will stay

One little piece of my soul