2975 North Webb Road, Wichita, Kansas, 67226, United States

More about Wichita

ALONG INTERSTATE 135 IN WICHITAALONG INTERSTATE 135 IN WICHITA

kansas vacation

by jackcd

we are going to wichita in august for vacation. what are the cultural highlights? we like hiking in the mountains. are there any nearby?

RE: kansas vacation

by YVRDave

Just curious, is this a trick question?

by jackcd

why would you think that? i have heard great things about wichita

by worldtravlr

Hello jackcd,

Kansas is pretty flat (no mountains). The Wichita Mountains are located in Oklahoma. I haven't been back for a while, but the Old Town area is pretty nice. There are shops, theater, and dining.

There is a website that has a fair amount of information on what is available in town.

Have fun on your trip,

-Brian

by ScubaCat

Hey, I live in Wichita & Jack gave you a fantastic website for research. If you want more info on Wichita and things to do here, email me. I'd be happy to fill you in on the good stuff. A must see while in Wichita is the Sedgwick County Zoo! You can't miss that, one of the best in the Country. You also might want to visit the Botanical Gardens or Musuem of the America's. Want good food? Let me know what your preferences are & I'll point you in the right direction. Oh, & definately visit Old Town like Jack mentioned, there's lots of things to do & see & eat. :-)

by ScubaCat

Oops, I meant World Traveler, when giving credit. Sorry!!! Just woke up from a nap, lol.

RE: kansas vacation

by candc

There are no mountains to hike however if you are interested in a side trip, and like History, you will be only about 25 miles south of Newton KS (where I grew up)and if you continue 15 more miles north on state road 215 you will come to Goessel, Alexanderwohl Church, and the Mennonite Heritage Center, which has a small museum, and a small "village" of original buildings. The original settlers of this area were part of the great Mennonite immigration in the 1870's who came here from Prussia in part to gain total religeous freedom. Their ancestors were Flemish, migrating from Holland thru Germany, and eventually ending up in Molotschna, South Russia. They began to incorporate the German language into the church in about 1775. The majority spoke what is referred to as Low German. About 15 miles north and east is Hillsboro, nothing to see there, but at a place called Olde Town Restaurant, I had the best German Mennonite meal I've had since on my Grandmother's farm. Might check to see if it's still in business. 620-947-5446.

Travel Tips for Wichita

Wichita Tip

by Carnation

My brother-in-law decided to treat us to a day out, so off we bundled into the car again and away we went. It was a surprise trip and we had to guess where we were going. Now me being from England how should I know where we were going! My family were definitely at an advantage. I wracked my brains and scraped out some of the history that one collects subconciously, watching movies etc. Then it came into view.
A cowboy town. Well, I thought, this has got to be.....................'DODGE CITY AHEAD!!!' yells my brother-in-law, as he blasts out all train of thought from my brains! My ears started ringing and I went deaf for a moment. And there it was, THE Dodge City. You know, the one in the movies, or was it? Well, we parked the car and got out. Darn it! This heat, it's another 92F, humidity 95%. It would take me years to get acclimatised! Anyway, I saw a booming, modern city to my left and to my right was a lil ole place, with wooden buildings built along a promenade. There was a saloon, jail, bank, foodstore, and other small commodities. I couldn't wait to get over and be a part of this history. I explored every crevice, every nook and cranny and could almost believe I was back in the good old wild west. All I needed now was a stetson, pants, shirt and boots and the stage would have been complete. Oh, I forgot my horse! (A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse! ahem!) As you go through the buildings you will enter an inner court. Just follow some of the guide signs and you will come across Boot Hill Cemetary. It is said that THE Wyatt Earp is buried here. It's a very small patch of land and I was amazed how teeny weeny it was. I seem to remember Boot Hill Cemetary as quite a big place in the western movies I've seen. But I believe this is the last remnant of the original.

Bella Luna

by AcornMan about Bella Luna

Bella Luna is a casual cafe-style restaurant serving excellent upscale food one might expect to find at a more formal and expensive establishment. It's difficult to pigeon-hole the kind of food they serve because, while the emphasis seems to be on Mediterranean-influenced dishes, there is plenty more than that on the menu. Bella Luna is a great place for a casual but tasty meal for lunch or dinner. Beware that it's not a very big place though, so there can be a substantial wait if it gets busy.

Lucchesi Bronze Sculpture

by grayfo

“After Shopping” was sculptured by Bruno Lucchesi (1926-current) in 1979, and shows a mother and her young daughter, tired from shopping and resting in a chair. The mother, whose shoes have slipped off, holds her barefoot daughter asleep in her lap. A shopping bag of food and other items hangs on the back of the chair.

May 2009