US 77 at Quail Ridge, , Winfield, KS 67156

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Winfield

Stage 5 PerformersStage 5 Performers

Misty River on Stage 1Misty River on Stage 1

David Munnelly, on button accordion, with fiddlerDavid Munnelly, on button accordion, with fiddler

The Greencards on Stage 2, 2007 Walnut Valley FestThe Greencards on Stage 2, 2007 Walnut Valley Fest

Travel Tips for Winfield

Walking Tour

by basstbn

Near Winfield's downtown district is a several square block area of older residences, many of which are tastefully restored and in wonderful condition. My favorite from among these is the house shown in the accompanying photo, a beautiful rock home built in 1886 by the wild and colorful frontier lawyer and political figure, William Patrick Hackney, my great-great uncle. I have not had the privilege of touring the home, but I understand it contains a large number of antiques. The local Chamber of Commerce can provide a pamphlet for a walking tour of the historic district.

One interesting thing to do in...

by brdwtchr

One interesting thing to do in Winfield that you can do from your car is see the historic homes. The Winfield historic homes brochure has a map and information about some of the historic homes of the city. Pictured is an 1885 Limestone Georgian Vernacular house. It is #17 in the brochure. Get the brochure at any tourist stop and take a driving tour of the great homes. We incorporated the homes tour in to our quest for Prairiefest.

This is the historical museum...

by brdwtchr

This is the historical museum in Winfield. We were there on a Saturday morning and it was not open until Saturday afternoon. On highway 160 there is a brown sign telling where to turn for the museum. It is about two blocks off of the business route through Winfield for 160.

Winfield, Kansas

by basstbn

Both of my most recent visits to Winfield have been to attend the Walnut Valley Festival and National Flatpickin' Championship. Due to the enjoyable nature of this festival, my wife, friends, and I have stayed on the festival grounds to the point of not seeing much else of Winfield.

While growing up in Wellington, about 20 miles to the west, I often visited Winfield for school sports events, shopping etc. Some of my ancestors on the Hackney (maternal) side were early settlers during the rough and tumble early days, one being a well-known lawman, lawyer, then politician and developer. His fine home still stands (see my off the beaten track tip), and nearby Hackney, Kansas, is named in his honor.

Please Don't Rate This Page.

by brdwtchr

Photo shows downtown Winfield. We went to Winfield looking for the Prairiefest. We saw Prairiefest banners in downtown Winfield but we learned most of the festival activities were 14 miles further south in Arkansas City. Once we found that out we did not stay long in Winfield. This page is not very good because were were not there long. It has a few photos we took while we drove around Winfield trying to find the Prairiefest.

Comments