Where's the Green?
Bowling Green has several tourist attractions including the National Corvette Museum, and Aviation Heritage Park. But the main reason that I picked Bowling Green was that I thought I could do a day trip to Mammoth Cave from there.
When we had car trouble, that meant I had to cut short the Bowling Green visit, so I did not visit any Bowling Green attractions at all.
Bowling Green is a small city with a opulation (year 2000) of 49,296. Estimated population in July 2005: 52,272 (+6.0% change)
Males: 23,841 (48.4%), Females: 25,455 (51.6%)
It is in Warren County- Zip codes: 42101, 42103, 42104.
One thing that I did not know is that Bowling Green-area historical tornado activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 63% greater than the overall U.S. average.
Colleges/Universities in Bowling Green:
* WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 12,806; Location: 1 BIG RED WAY; Public; Website: www.wku.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
* BOWLING GREEN TECHNICAL COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 591; Location: 1845 LOOP DR; Public; Website: www.bgtc.net)
* DRAUGHONS JUNIOR COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 236; Location: 2424 AIRWAY DR AT LOVERS LN; Private, for-profit)
* PJ'S COLLEGE OF COSMETOLOGY (FT enrollment: 185; Location: 1901 RUSSELLVILLE ROAD; Private, for-profit)
* BOWLING GREEN HEALTH CARE TRAINING SCHOOL (Location: 1725 ASHLEY CIR; Private, for-profit)
* UNIVERSAL SCHOOL OF HAIR TECHNOLOGY (Location: 332 COLLEGE ST; Private, for-profit)
Bowling Green compared to Kentucky state average:
Median resident age: 28.6 years
Median household income: $29,047 (year 2000)
Median house value: $104,200 (year 2000)
* Median household income below state average.
* Median house value below state average.
* Unemployed percentage above state average.
* Black race population percentage above state average.
* Median age significantly below state average.
* Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
* House age significantly below state average.
* Number of college students above state average.
* Population density below state average for cities.