Louisville Days Inn East

4621 Shelbyville Road, US Highway 60, Louisville, Kentucky, 40207, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Louisville

University of KY - note the Wildcat paw prints!University of KY - note the Wildcat paw prints!

The Speed Art MuseumThe Speed Art Museum

The Coronel & MeThe Coronel & Me

Noel, Daffy Duck and Tiffany having fun at parkNoel, Daffy Duck and Tiffany having fun at park

Travel Tips for Louisville

Louisville Water Works

by Tom_Fields

Built in the 19th century as a standpipe to deliver water to Louisville residents, the Louisville Water Tower is now a National Historic Landmark. Resting on the banks of the Ohio River, the spacious facility also is home to one of Louisville's best known contemporary art centers, the Louisville Visual Arts Association. In the photo, the white line in front marks the high-water mark of the 1937 flood.

Irish Rover. Been there now....

by John195123

Irish Rover. Been there now. The atmosphere isn't as good as Jack Quinn's, but the food is as good if not better. the fish and chips isn't as greasy, but it doesn't have the yellow sauce. See my Colorado Springs page for more on Jack Quinn's. Anyway, for $6.95 USD you get a filling plate of fish and chips, which isn't a bad deal. The chips are good! And the fish also seems fresher than Jack Quinn's. They also have salads, soups, sandwiches, and other food like Fried Black Pudding for $4.95 USD. The have what looks like very good desserts, and, of course, Guinness on tap. Oh yeah. $4.50 for two 10oz glasses of Guinness.
Good atmosphere and food, full bar!
Party room available upstairs. Fish and Chips, with Guinness.

Smoothies for You

by dzni about Smoothies for You

I do love smoothies, and that's what they have here. I think I went on their opening day, and there weren't too many people here (not that they had really advertised or anything). The smoothies was excellent, I must admit, and they have all sorts of combinations and power boosters and such. However, even though this is much closer to me than Thatsa Wrapp, I think I'll stick with the latter as my hands-down favorite!

Louisville Slugger Museum

by last_train

The Louisville Slugger museum is a great place for baseball fans of all ages.

The factory tour provides a fascinating insight into how baseball bats are manufactured. Unfortunately, photographs cannot be taken inside the factory, but you are able to see how the different models of bats are created. There is one process for the lower quality bats and another process for the major league bats. Bats are made from both ash and maple.

The museum itself has a number of bats from famous players throughout the history of major league baseball. It also features a demonstration of a 100 mph pitch. There are a number of exhibits that provide lots of information on baseball history.

There is also a batting cage where you try out some Louisville Slugger bats yourself.

Each visitor on the factory tour receives a miniature bat as a souvenir and you can purchase personalized bats as well.

We Made It to the Derby!

by frannie01

"Kentucky Derby - 136"

Attending the Kentucky Derby was a dream of a lifetime. This year that dream came true. We made it to the 136 Run for the Roses. We chose to drive. Well, the "we" did not include me - I don't drive Interstates. John's sister Ray shared the driving with him. We started out Friday morning from Ray's home in Abita Springs, LA. The weather was perfect, a bit cooler than usual which made it comfortable. With the forested areas and hills as a backdrop to the blooming wild flowers, we drove through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and southern Kentucky. Before we left home, we loaded the car with snacks, so we actually ate our way to Kentucky. Along the way, we made the usual stops at service stations and even found a Starbucks. After a drive of about twelve hours, we arrived at the Edgewater Resort in Taylorsville, KY.

"The Edgewater Resort"

We chose the Edgewater because it offered two bedroom cottages and a shuttle to Louisville. We attended the Edgewater's Friday night BBQ and Low Country Shrimp Boil. The pulled pork sandwiches and the Derby pie were delicious. The shrimp were tasty, but didn’t compare to what we're accustomed to in south Louisiana. After our meal and some recreation that included a bean bag toss game and lively banter with other guests, we headed back to our cottage and had a soak in our private hot tub. The hot tub was what we needed to unwind after such a long day.

"Derby Day"

Yesterday’s beautiful weather lured us into ignoring the reports of rain for the 1st of May. When we woke up, the reality that a wet day was ahead became obvious. We didn’t let it deter us. We had ponchos and plastic bags to protect out Derby outfits. I attached a red rose to the hood of my poncho. While I carried my hat under my poncho, Ray simply covered hers in plastic. The Edgewater shuttle brought us to the city shuttle. This shuttle got us to Gate 17 of Churchill Downs. We were interviewed by a local radio station as we entered the track. The reported gave a detailed description of our rainy day outfits. After a visit to the gift shop, we went to our Grandstand seats. No races were cancelled so we had a full day of wagering – winning some, losing most. We drank Mint Juleps as we waited for “the most exciting two minutes in sports.” While most of day was cloudy, wet, and windy, the clouds parted and the sun smiled on the track as the horses approached the starting gate for the Derby. The thrill of being at Churchill Downs as Super Saver and Calvin Borel sped past us was electrifying. Another trip to the Derby will be in our future!

Comments