280 West Jefferson Street, Louisville, Kentucky, 40202, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Louisville

TV/Microwave/Fridge (inside cabinet)TV/Microwave/Fridge (inside cabinet)

Weapons of the English Civil WarWeapons of the English Civil War

Earthen Walls of the FortEarthen Walls of the Fort

Our Brenner paintingOur Brenner painting

Jim Beam Tour

by PinkFloydActuary

Seems like they've been revamping this tour recently, so I don't know what I'd get if we stopped. We have two smaller kids, and if there is still a self-guided tour around the grounds, I'd stop to let the family stretch their legs. If it is still "hustle into a room to watch a video" or a full blown tour only, I'll give this one a pass. Can anyone give me insight into what I could truly expect? Thanks!

by riorich55

John, Hope you get can answer for this one. Not too many people get onto the out of the way destinations like Louisville. I spent some time there on business last June, but never got on the tour. If you don't get an answer try emailing VT member Dester who lives in Kentucky.

by SAMRetired

My cousin who lives near there said they are not doing the tour right now. I checked their website and it says this to. Not sure why or for how long the tours are cancelled.

Website: http://www.jimbeam.com/visit-the-bourbon-distillery

by Agraichen

Can't speak for Jim Beam, but I'd head over to Woodford Reserve. While they do have a "formal tour" you can wander the grounds and take in the scenery.

by karen_mo

We did the Bourbon Trail in October 2010. The Jim Beam tour involved a video in the old cottage, followed by a short tour of the historic buildings then into the tasting room. We didn't get to see any of the actual working distillery.

Wild Turkey was a bit odd. The guide was great but we went round the old distillery which is derelict now. They are in the process of moving to a new one up the road.

My favourite tour of the six distilleries was Maker's Mark, some lovely historic buildings, a smaller scale distillery where you can get very close to the process (including tasting the "beer"!!) and a very funky tasting area. You can hand dip your own souvenir wax edged glasses and bottles. (at a price)

Woodford Reserve was very nice too with a pretty environment and old buildings. You do have to pay to do this one, and I think it was around $5 each - but check that out.

Hope that helps! Karen

by valerie7277

I've done all of the distillery tours in the area (I have family in Louisville and visit often), and I think Woodford Reserve is the best. There is a small fee, but I think it's worth it.
Do you have to go to one of the distilleries, or are you looking for other child-friendly activities to do in Louisville? I'm not sure how old your children are, but the Louisville Slugger Museum and the Science Center/IMAX are all great options as well. Good luck!

by riorich55

Here's another activity you might want to try with kids. I wanted to give it a try on my last visit, but alas no time.

by PinkFloydActuary

Thanks all. This isn't a must-do - we'll be traveling between Louisville and Mammoth Cave, and since it wasn't too far out of the way, I was considering it. While still young enough that I'm not concerned about the influences of underage drinking, they'd be bored to death on an actual tour. I'll look for something else to stop at along the way!

Travel Tips for Louisville

The Greatest Race

by grandmaR

We went in and saw the movie which is a 360 degrees around you. You are supposed to stand in the middle and the movie surrounds you - different pictures come on at different places in the circular screen. I was able to get some pictures of the presentation.

The first photo shows the theatre from above. Photos three, four and five are very wide panoramas. The museum website describes the movie as follows:

The Kentucky Derby Museum is a premier tourist attraction, featuring an award-winning, High Definition Kentucky Derby film entitled "The Greatest Race". Displayed on a 360-degree screen, "The Greatest Race" places the viewer in the center of Derby Day action.

BARDSTOWN; Kentucky Bourbon...

by gkitzmil

BARDSTOWN; Kentucky Bourbon Festival Time
September 12-16, 2001
A celebration of America's Authentic Spirit
Join us here in Bardstown, Kentucky for lots of good bourbon country fun. There will be arts & crafts, bourbon-related cooking and contests, not to mention plenty of good music for everyone. Don't miss this event! Contact us for a schedule of events. for more information click here

Bluegrass Brewing Company. Ok,...

by John195123

Bluegrass Brewing Company. Ok, food, I take it is good, real brewery food. Prices aren't too bad, about $6.00 for a burger... too much for me. But the Summer Wheat beer is pretty good, with a slice of lemon, and I don't like beer at all. Guinness is, of course, better, but they have no Guinness here. Nice atmosphere, bar area, eating area with live music ($5 cover after 10pm), and an outdoor part with darts. Great for cool summer evenings!

Fifth Quarter

by dzni about Fifth Quarter

I haven't been here in awhile, as the one by me closed down recently. However, I always liked their steaks here with the big mushrooms on the side. And when I was younger, the salad bar was a fun adventure, whereby I would load ridiculous different ingredients on it! :) (I still do)... don't be fooled with the presence of a salad bar, though.. it's still a nice, casual place to dine.

Bluegrass Music

by penguinhunter

Kentucky is famous for it's bluegrass music and once a year in October Louisville holds the annual Internation Bluegrass Music Association's convention and awards show. Held at The Gault house the IBMA convention and shocase is something that every bluegrass fan should make an all out effort to get to.

Comments