The Brown Hotel

335 W. Broadway, (formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel), Louisville, Kentucky, 40202, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• bmiller39's Profile Photo

We have many hotels and bed...

We have many hotels and bed and breakfasts in the area,,Unquestionably, the two land mark hotels are the Seelbach on Muhamed Ali and 4th street and the
    Brown on Broadway and 4th..They are both great ! The Brown is now known as the Camberlee-Brown and has an award winning restaurant (the English Grill). Chef Joe Castro is one of the city culinary giants and a really great person who is fast becoming a city landmark himself.
    Sort of pricey, but like most city hotels they often offer week end specials. Ask for a deal and you will probably get one. The hotel hasn't changed much in appearance since this picture was taken almost 75 years ago.

Unique Quality: The history of the hotel is fantastic and well worth a stay or a visit if you are in town.

Directions: Easy to find ask anyone or just go to Broadway and 4th streets, it dominates the corner of both streets

• John195123's Profile Photo

The Brown Hotel is one of...

The Brown Hotel is one of Louisville's finest. This is a beautiful property, with a truly grand ballroom, the finest of service (I would expect) and some beautiful rooms.
    From $99 USD to $362 (under $400) per person per night. Kids under 18 stay free in the same room.

Directions: The Camberley Brown
    335 West Broadway
    Louisville, KY 40202

More about The Brown Hotel

Louisville has two great old...

by Ky_Happy_Dad

Louisville has two great old historic hotels located downtown. The Seelbach Hilton, located at 500 South Fourth Street and the Camberly Brown hotel located on Broadway (pictured below). The Galt House on the river (a 70's era hotel) has some great views from top of its revolving resturant overlooking downtown and the river, but be warned that it hosts many conventions. If I were staying in Louisville, my choice would be the Brown or Seelbach because they don't built hotels like these anymore.

two words: Hot Brown

by mcferreri about The Brown Hotel

The Hot Brown one of the original late night drunken snack. Conceptualized in the 1920s as nourishment after a hard night of jitterbugging at the Brown Camberley Hotel in Louisville, KY, the Hot Brown was to take the munchies to a different level.

Imagine an open faced turkey sandwich with a rich Mornay sauce covering it and topped with cheese, pimentos and bacon. Now that's a nightcap!

You can have this original taste of history at it's place of origin, the beautifully restored Brown Hotel in Louisville. If you decide to go for lunch, reserve time for a nap afterward.

Liked the hotel and loved the food and the gift shop

We stayed at the Brown Hotel on business and we were really impressed with the service. Our rooms were pretty nice but the service English Dining Room was the best. This hotel also has a really nice gift shop. There were plenty of gifts for our children and also a last minute gift for some friends who hosted a dinner for us. The staff was also extremely helpful.
Overall, this was a very good experience.

The Place to Stay in Louisville

by TripAdvisor Member feldtd

I was in Louisville for business and chose the Brown because of its proximity to the government building I needed to visit. I also liked that it was affordable, and yet, is an historic hotel. From the web site, it looked like a really nice place. The web site was right. Not only was the interior and exterior of the hotel nice, the service was excellent and the rooms were quiet. My room faced a busy street, but the traffic noise could barely be heard. I also like the proximity to several restaurants and shops just down the street. The downtown location near I-64 and I-65 allowed me to take a couple nice drives to the touristy spots such as Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger Museum, and out to Bardsville for some Bourbon tasting. I would really recommend this hotel for tourists and business people alike.

OK, but nothing special

I stay at this hotel frequently as it's convenient for my business travel. Pluses include large rooms, good quality bed and pillows and great dinner options. Most times I stay, there are some minor issues. The hotel has free wireless internet, but it works well only in some of the rooms. On my most recent stay, the room had no toilet paper -- but that showed up within one minute of requesting it. I've also had problems getting a taxi to show up within a reasonable amount of time.

An excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member LLindaC

We won a night here at a charity silent auction. We failed to notice that the offer expired in 6 months, not a year. However, the manager kindly sent us an extension and we booked a week later. We were given a room on the concierge level and a free breakfast in the casual first floor restaurant.
The lobby is beautiful with many sofas, chairs and gorgeous antiques. One thing missing at 9pm on Friday night was live music. Perhaps someone had played earlier, but they had a locked piano with a disklavier providing the music. As a musician, I hate those things! We were checked in quickly by a warm and friendly staff.The entire staff from doormen to waiters to desk personnel could not have been friendlier or more efficient.
Our room was quite spacious, much larger than those at the Seelbach, Louisville's other vintage hotel. The bed was comfortable, and the down comforter was a great touch. There's no coffee pot in the room, but there is a nice writing desk, books, a jar of candy, iron, and robes in closet.There was also a telephone by the toilet! The bathroom toiletries were from Gilchrist and Soames. We had a great view of downtown Louisville and the room was very quiet. Once you exit the elevator on the Concierge level, there's a lobby with snacks, drinks and reading materials. In the morning, there were cereals, delicious cheeses, muffins and a few other items.
We enjoyed our breakfast at the cafe. We were given a chance to order from the menu or enjoy the buffet and chose the latter. They brought us yummy coffee in HUGE mugs- loved it. The buffet was good- eggs were excellent with chunks of onions and tomato. The only thing I can complain about is that there was not one piece of fruit anywhere.Very strange for a buffet! Service was excellent.
Parking at the garage next door cost $12, which is a bit steep for this city. We enjoyed walking from the hotel to various places in town, the trolley also runs in front of the hotel and takes guests all the way to the river for free. A nice thing for visitors. I'm sorry that we didn't get to review the Oak Room restaurant, but chose to dine at Vincenzo's (another gift certificate). I have dined there in the past and it was splendid.

Stunning main areas, but Club level not a good value

by TripAdvisor Member Pamgoes

The main areas of the hotel are stunning! Truly a renovated jewel of architecture. A beautiful, intimate sitting/bar area in the lobby. We opted "up" to the club level. The evening appetizers/wine/beer were limited to cheese and crackers, one white, one red wine and a couple of beers and bottled water/soft drinks. The morning "continental" was limited fruit, under-ripe...bagels and sweet rolls. We were not on the 'main' concierge floor, so coffee/tea service on our floor was from the night before (we were told. Concierge service should really be more than just a free drink and snack..it should be refined and special. The concierge on duty that night was cleaning out the closets and never offered any service of any type. Fortunately, her partner was a gentleman.

Comments