Richmond Knights Inn

My nieceMy niece

Eastern KY UniversityEastern KY University

Acres of Land WineryAcres of Land Winery

Christmas at the Bennett HouseChristmas at the Bennett House

What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by suewags23

Hi,
My husband is retiring from the Air Force next Nov. and I really want to move to kentucky. I found a house that I just love in Richmond but he doesn't think he will be able to find a job in Kentucky. He does networking (not real sure of what that is) just know it has something to do with computers. Can anyone tell me what the job situation is there. Also what is Richmond like. I am having a hard time finding pictures of the area except for some historic buildings but I want to see more of the whole town and area.
Thanks for any help.

RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by Krumlovgirl

You can check out my page on Richmond for some restaurant and shopping tips. I love Richmond myself. It's a nice, quiet, medium sized town with Lexington, Lousiville, and Cincinatti close by. There is some beautiful countryside there and it's a fairly peaceful place to live. He would probably have more luck finding work in Lexington than in Richmond. A lot of people in Richmond have to commute out. Last year I worked in Berea, another beautiful town about 10 miles down the road. The local newspaper is the Richmond Register and you can check it out at www.richmondregister.com If you have anymore questions then please feel free to send me an email. Good luck!

RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by Little_Lou_Lou

I know that they are hiring at the Kentucky Army Depot and with his military history, that should be a cake walk. At Bluegrass Community and Technical college, they are always hiring for IT people and they have a flexible schedule with great benefits. There are also Lexmark and Toyota that pay well and always need computer people in different areas of the factories and in their main offices.

You are welcome to check out my travel pages for pictures of Richmond and the surrounding areas. The town is OK, not my favorite place that I have lived but by far not the worst. They have great schools here and there are several private schools if you don't like the public ones. As far as culture goes, there isn't a whole lot here unless you like the college performances. Lexington is just a 20-30 minute drive, though, so that helps. The social scene is a bit dry unless you are a college student, but that gets better with time and as you get to know the harder to find stuff.

My dad is retired Air Force and I wish you both the best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions or would just like a guide or someone to talk to :)

RE: RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by Krumlovgirl

After I posted that about the Richmond Register I got on the site and a big picture of my mother loomed in front of me. I guess she was on the front page. It was kind of surreal. (She works for the justice department.)The website won't give you everything that's in the paper but it will give you a general idea of what's in it. Good luck! I don't live there anymore but have lived there for on and off for the past 21 years so I can still answer questions. Mostly. :-)

RE: RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by wenterskye

As someone who recently moved to the area, I really like it. Richmond is a small town with progressive ideas. There is much more to the area than the college scene. There is an excellent social scene here and I did not find it difficult to fit in. There is a variety of clubs and organizations you might find interesting. The community shows a lot of diversity. The school system appears to be progressive in their technology area and academically sound. I think you would enjoy living here and being involved with a diverse and progressive community. I would recommend that you do more job research before coming; jobs are tough to find all over. Check both the Richmond Register and the Lexington Herald newspapers for jobs. Good luck.

Travel Tips for Richmond

Local Author Keven McQueen

by Krumlovgirl

Keven is one of my good friends and has written several good books about the area. He teaches English at EKU and we were tour guides together at White Hall. He is known right now for his book entitled “Legends to Lunatics: Offbeat Kentuckians.” He has a thing for the strange and unusual and like me loves trivia and history. He also wrote a really good biography on Cassius Clay. It’s probably the best one out there. I know for a fact that he has a great love of the area and is very knowledgeable not just about Richmond but Madison County in general. IF you’re down here and you know he’s going to be doing an event then it’s worth checking him out. If you plan on coming to the area and are interested in learning a little more then you can find his books either online or in any of the local bookstores.

Church Baby Sales

by Krumlovgirl

Twice a year, in the spring and in the summer, local churches hold consignment sales where they resale baby and children’s items. You can find anything from playpens to toys and clothes for very reasonable prices. Eastside Baptist and the First United Methodist Church have the biggest and best sales. To get the best selection you have to get there early the first day although on the last day they usually mark things down half price. We got some terrific deals this year, mostly on clothes and blankets. If you decide to sell something of your own then you’re allowed to go in the night before the sale starts and get to do some early bird shopping.

Christmas Markets

by Krumlovgirl

My favorite way to kick off the holiday season is to go to the Christmas markets in Richmond. They usually occur on the first Saturday in December and everyone gets into it. The Parks and Recreation Center has a bazaar and gives free horse and carriage rides around downtown. The First Christian Church always has 4-H’ers set up selling their wares. (And it’s so hard not to buy from everyone because they’re just so darn cute!) St. Mark’s has a huge one and you really have to get there early to get the good stuff. Irvine McDowell does things as well, as do some of the other local churches. It’s a lot of fun and very festive and a good way to get out in the community. They’re very similar to the Christmas markets I’ve been to in Germany and Austria, although on a smaller scale. At least smaller than the one at the Schonbrunn in Vienna. But I digress…You can buy anything from tins of homemade cookies and pies to decorations and crafts. I usually go for the food myself. With the Christmas music playing and everyone in good moods it’s really easy to get caught up in the small town Christmas spirit.

New Earth Festival

by Krumlovgirl

Four times a year Lexington hosts the New Earth Festival at the Continental Inn. I just call it what it is-the psychic fair. Oh yes, there are other things besides the psychics, but they’re the most fun. You have a bevy of options when it comes to the kind of psychics you want to see, too. You can choose one that reads tarot cards, or one that reads minds, or one that is strictly astrology oriented. You can even have a photo taken of your aura if you want to! (I’ve never done it. But it’s there.) Readings cost $25 for 15 minutes, which isn’t a great deal but if they’re not busy sometimes you can stay longer than 15.

If you don’t want to get a reading, you can go shopping. All of your Wicca, Pagan, and Druid needs can be met from the vendors. They sell everything from stones to herbs to pendants to books. And bumper stickers. I love the bumper stickers.

They also have little seminars that go on throughout the weekend. You can attend one on dream analysis, ghost watching, or increasing your psychic powers.

The cost of the fair is $10 per person, although if you bring a canned good it drops to $5. Admission is good for the whole weekend. Check their website for specific dates. They usually run in May, July, October, and February.

Poosey Ridge

by Krumlovgirl

One of my favorite things to do is to take drives out in the country. Poosey Ridge is still my favorite drive in Madison County. Although driving on the road can be like dodging bullets (cars go fast and it’s curvy) you get some of the best panorama views of Richmond and the surrounding areas. You won’t see any subdivisions or many new houses, but you will see lots of rolling hills, valleys, farms, and tobacco fields. The road ends in the Kentucky River (almost literally) and they’ve now set up a little picnic area. The Acres of Land vineyard is located at the beginning of the ridge.

Directions: Follow Barnes Mill Road all the way out of town. At one point the road divides. Take the road on the right, across the little bridge. From there you’ll go up a large steep hill. The ridge begins at the top.

Comments