Edgewater Resort

1238 Settlers Trace Road, Taylorsville, Kentucky, 40071, United States
Enter dates for best prices
Compare best prices from top travel partners


Satisfaction Excellent
Very Good


Value Score No Data

Good For Couples
  • Families80
  • Couples90
  • Solo0
  • Business0

More about Taylorsville


Double cheeseburgerDouble cheeseburger

Menu BoardMenu Board

Restaurant from the sideRestaurant from the side


Travel Tips for Taylorsville

Taylorsville Lake

by John195123

Taking our Sea Doo and Waverunner out on Taylorsville Lake. It was fun, except for the cops who were rude, mean, not in the least professional, and they really didn't deserve to wear a badge. I bite my thumb at them! Anyway, it's crowded here, but closer to Louisville than Cumberland.

Between Louisville and Frankfurt

by grandmaR

I'm tired of traveling and want to go home. So I didn't have all that much enthusiasm for seeing another museum or an old house.

But I did have several goals for this area - I wanted to go to the Lexington Horse Park, because when we were there before, the truck was being used for camping and I didn't have any way to get anywhere except by walking, and I have no pictures except for the competition. I wanted to see the different breeds of horses, and also see a little of Lexington.

I remembered that Robert Carson Hewett (Bob's great great grandfather) was buried in Louisville, and thought I would look at his grave. I looked the grave site up on the internet and found the locations. I wanted to visit Churchill Downs (I would have liked to go to the races, but the museum would be next best) and I wanted to see if I could see a Carl Brenner painting like we have in person.

And as long as I was here, I thought I'd go see Frankfort, the capitol. I understand it was made the capitol because it was midway between Lexington and Louisville and they couldn't decide between those two. And I thought we might explore the area around the dam which is responsible for the big lake.

So the tentative schedule was to go to Louisville Saturday because the cemetery office was not open on Sunday, and the museums were not open on Monday. Then Sunday or Monday we would go to Bardstown and take a trolley tour, Tuesday we would go to Frankfort and Wednesday we would go to Lexington.

The lady at the condo gave us directions so we wouldn't have to go all the way into Taylorville but she was concerned about us getting in after dark because of the danger of hitting a deer. Hitting a pothole seems more of a problem. We checked into the condo about 4, and I discovered that the phone system doesn't allow internet usage, so I have to come down to the office to log onto the internet.

I came down Friday afternoon to use the computer and she had me put in on one of those computer desks pull out trays. Then when I plugged it in, the plug did not have any electricity to it. She put her hand on the tray that the computer was on, and the whole thing fell off and onto the floor. I thought it had been broken.

We have two bedrooms - one a king bed, and one a regular double or a queen. There's only one bathroom, and only one TV and that's in the living room, and there is a full kitchen. The unit backs up onto a golf course. It is on the second floor (14 steps) but the hill rises steeply so that we can walk right out the back

I got my power strip out and plugged it into a plug on the other side of the room. The computer still worked. It is a dial-up which is pretty slow, and there is only one line for the office and the guests, so if I use the computer, the lady in the office has to be offline. I was afraid to chance the computer desk, so I worked on a table.

Taylorsville is a very small town. There are very few restaurant, a drive in tobacco shop, a couple of little boat places (places for little outboard fishing type boats), a small hardware store, and the town hall. We wanted to go somewhere to sit down for dinner, and our choices were Dairy Queen, a Chinese buffet, the little restaurant on the corner or a place called Moby Dick (A Whale of a Sandwich). We ate at Moby Dick. I got the fried clam dinner, and Bob got chicken strips which looked so much like fish fillets that he went and got tartar sauce for them. They came with fries, cole slaw and hush puppies and were too much to eat, so we brought them home.

"Saturday March 4th"

I painstakingly looked up all the names I had that I thought might be buried at Cave Hill, and found that the Andersons (Robert Carson Hewett's wife was an Anderson) were buried in the next plot. They were Section M Plot 230 and 228. I talked to the cemetery people on the phone and got directions, and then we didn't go that way. We stopped about 12 for lunch, and then went to the cemetery.

After we got the map (it is a VERY large place), we drove up to that section and discovered that there were some graves there that we didn't expect. Both the mother and father of J. Sidney Anderson Hewett were there along with several of her siblings and their spouses and children. R.C. Hewett had a large obelisk in the center of his plot which not only had his name and J. Sidney's names on two of the sides, but also Mary Hewett Beasley's brother (Edward Anderson Hewett) and his wife Ida Ainslie, and the brother's son (Ainslie Hewett) and his wife are buried there.

The Speed Museum where the Brenner painting is was closed for a big dinner that night, so we went on to Churchill Downs and went into the museum as there is no racing there at the moment. We took the tour (included in the admission price) and saw the movie which is a 360 degrees around you.

We got back about 3:30 and ate our leftovers for dinner. I spend a lot of time in the office doing the internet as the office is not open on Sunday.

"Sunday March 5."

This was Bob's 70th birthday, but I haven't been able to figure out what to give him as a present, and he keeps saying not to bother.

This was a cold raw day, and my objective was to take the trolley tour of the town. When we got there at 1:20, the trolley was sitting there with blinking lights and there was a piece of paper sticking out of the door that said next tour 1:30. The driver never came. We wandered around , but the old courthouse which was now the visitor's center in the center of the square was locked up tight. Someone let me and another couple in. She suggested that the driver might be watching the UK vs Miami basketball game.

Bob did not want to take a carriage tour - it was too cold.

So we drove out to My Old Kentucky Home State Park. This was the home of John Rowan who was a cousin of Stephen Fosters and where he was supposed to be staying when he wrote "My Old Kentucky Home". The house was being renovated but the tours were going on anyway. No pictures inside of course, and they wouldn't even let you take a picture of the painting in the visitor's center. So I wandered around outside and took some pictures, and then we went back to the condo. We decided to go to the little restaurant on the corner and we had quite good orange chicken and rice with a side salad for $6.95. The sheriff and several other law officers were eating there too.

"Monday March 6th"

A cold, wet, dreary day, and I just did not feel like doing anything. I had planned to go to a park near Elizabethtown, but we just did not do it. I did call the cemetery about some graves that I could not read the stones, and found that there were 5 or 6 people buried there that had no stones. When we went to the On The Way Cafe (that was the little restaurant on the corner near the condo association) on Sunday, I saw that there were specials each day. On Monday it was spaghetti and meatballs, so that is what both Bob and I ate on Monday

When I went to go to the office to do the internet, the outside door was locked. I called the number on the door, and it turned out that the brother of the girl that works the front desk was renovating the apartments in this unit and the previous week someone had stolen all his tools (plus the TVs and VCRs etc). He stays in one of the ground floor apartments during the week (his sister gives him a ride) and then she gives him a ride home on the weekend. So he came and let me in, and then moved his tools downstairs into the locked area.

"Tuesday, March 7th"

First we stopped at the Salato Wildlife Education Center. This had a very nice natural history type of museum including some aquaria - one of the tanks had a HUGE antediluvian looking turtle. There were also some mating toads, and live specimens of the three types of venomous snakes of the region (Please do not tap on the glass) - Copperhead, Cottonmouth and Rattlesnake. Outside of one of the center's windows there were some bird feeders where I saw cardinals, blue jays, red winged blackbirds and a dove, plus a squirrel and a chipmunk on the ground.

On the paths outside were some 'non-releasable animals, like a bald eagle with only one wing, including bison, elk, deer, bobcat/lynx, and wild turkey. We saw all of them except the turkeys.

When we drove on toward Frankfort, we stopped at an overlook and I took some pictures of the capitol. I heard music being played over the loudspeaker, but didn't know exactly why. When we drove down into the town, we found out. There was a march from the old capitol to the new capitol by the AFL-CIO who were demonstrating about (I don't know whether they were for or against) a Right To Work law that was being proposed or voted on.

There were bands and the whole bit. But that meant that we couldn't drive to the capitol or go across the bridge. So we went back and went across another bridge and eventually came to another place where the parade was blocking us off. So about 12:33, we parked in a free lot next to Frankfort's Union Station. The last passenger train ran
in 1971.

We cross the apparently unused RR tracks to the Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky History Museum, which was something I had intended to visit anyway. After we went around the exhibits, we walked down the street to Gibby's and had lunch. I had a small apple waldorf salad ($1.95) and a three cheese sandwich ($4.50). I also got a small drink, thinking that I would get root beer. But they were out of root beer and also out of unsweetened tea, so I had a mixture of lemonade and sweet tea. Bob got a 1/4 lb. chili dog and fries.

Then we went back to the museum which also had a research library. I could bring my computer in to the library (I had it in the trunk of the car), but I could not bring in my camera, and had to leave any jackets or pens (because of the problem of marking up the hard copies), or any packages in a locker. So we put the computer case and my jacket in the locker. It was 25 cents, but there was a quarter in the slot already and when I unlocked the locker to get the case out, the quarter went back into the slot for the next person.

I wanted to get a better copy of Robert Carson Hewett's obituary from the Courier Journal, but they did not have the years 1880 to 1900, and RC Hewett died in 1891. I did find a copy of his will however, and also the will of Mary Anderson (his wife's mother). According to the list of wills, there was a will for R.C. Hewett's wife, but they did not have that roll of microfilm. It was 30 cents a copy to copy it and I had to buy a copy card for $1, which would do 3 copies - they charged 10 cents for the card. I put in $2, and after I copied both wills, I had 10 cents left on the card.

Meanwhile, Bob walked around Lexington, and took my camera (which I left in the trunk of the car because I couldn't use it in the library) and took a photo of the hand dug
railroad tunnel which was next to the station, and also the sign about it. He also went into a couple of art galleries, but he didn't tour the Old Capitol (which was included in the museum price) or the military museum.

The library closed at 4, and I barely made it after copying the two wills. We drove out via the capitol, to go by the floral clock, but that is completely dead and out of commission this time of year.

Then we went back to the On The Way Cafe and had the special of meat loaf. with mashed potatoes and gravy and vegetables for $5.95. I had a root beer float for $2.25 to make up for not having any root beer this afternoon, and Bob had a hot fudge sundae - also $2.25

"Wednesday March 8"

Today we drove to Lexington. It was a cold grey day, threatening rain with a little spitting sometimes. First we went to the Horse Park. I tried very hard to book a tour of the horse farms and historic Lexington, but they all said they had to have a least 4 people. It was off season of course which meant that there wasn't much going on, but I thought I could go up and look in the breed barn.

So when we got there, there was no one taking admissions outdoors and no one seemed to care where we went, so at my distracted direction, Bob drove all over the grounds - past the statue of Man O War, past the Pony Club Headquarters (which was closed), past the USEF offices (which was not but we didn't go in), past the National Saddlebred
Museum, past the dressage rings, past the Big Barn, past the long lines of stabling, past the steeplechase course, in the middle of which I could see people working on the cross country jumps presumably for next May's three day event, past the Grill on the Hill (closed), past the building for officials, past the riding stable, all around a race course on the outside and past the Clubhouse restaurant. No one challenged us at all.

So when I got to the International Museum of the Horse, which had workers in the lobby and ladders etc, I was disinclined to pay $8 to go in - I'd seen most of what I wanted to anyway. They would have someone up at the breed barn at 1:30 she said, but I didn't want to wait that long. So we left to drive into Lexington, and to try to find a place to eat. First we stopped at a Subway in a gas station, but there was no place to eat inside, so we left.

I had a detailed map of the town which had eating places on it, so we first tried to find a place there near the Un of KY, but there was no place to park. Finally found another Subway where there was some parking. I had a cheese steak sub and two chocolate chip cookies. Bob had tuna salad and chips.

Next on the list was to go to the Un of KY to see if there was a Carl Brenner painting. We parked in a lot near the Student Union at a meter - max time 75 cents for 45 minutes. We walked to the Art Museum, and after some wrong turns, we found the museum, but they had no Carl Brenner there. Then we walked up to the M.I.K Library (which is NOT named for Martin Luther King, but Margaret Isadora King the first librarian). They said they had microfiche of the newspapers, but I had called the Courier Journal and while it would be $12 for each obituary from them, the main library in Louisville had all the copies that I could search myself and they also had death certificate lists. So since we were parked in such an expensive spot, we decided to wait for that.

Just on a whim, I decided to go by Transylvania University, and see what was there. We found a parking spot right away, and went into the library. There the archives person said that I couldn't come and look myself, but that she would look for and send me R.C. Hewett's thesis.

So we took some pictures of the buildings and signs (other Transylvania alumni include Jefferson Davis, John Hunt Morgan, Stephen F. Austin, Cassius M. Clay, John Fox Jr., 2 vice presidents, 50 U.S. Senators, 101 Representatives, three House Speakers, 36 Governors and 34 Ambassadors) and drove back to the condo unit via Versailles and Lawrencetown, and past the Wild Turkey plant. We had dinner in the Dairy Queen. I had a double cheeseburger, a salad and a mint Oreo blizzard, and Bob had two hamburgers and a milkshake.

"Thursday March 9th"

This is our last day, and it is a rainy nasty day but not as cold. Our goal was to track down and view the painting by Carl Brenner that was in the Speed Museum. There is another one at Filson, but they apparently don't have it on display and there is supposed to be one in an art gallery mall but that would be a tremendous amount of trouble especially since we have no intention of buying it.

So we parked in the parking garage (the museum was open today) and went in. We asked at the desk if they had a catalogue of the collection, but they did not. Completely clueless as to where the painting might be. Had I not seen it on the website in the Kentucky section, I would not have known where to look.

They gave me a 'camera pass' (which no one asked about) and told me I could not take photos on the first floor. We went to the Kentucky room and found the Carl Brenner, plus a couple of sketches by his son, and a similar but muddier looking painting by someone called Hewett Green. There was a presentation pitcher similar to the one that was given to R. C. Hewett, which they said had been made by Tiffany but sold under a local silversmith's name. We looked for anything for sale in the shop, but no luck.

We paid for parking and left the parking garage and drove to the library. It was about lunch time, but we saw no place to eat, so we just skipped lunch. The library was supposed to have wi-fi, but I couldn't make it do anything. They had a list of what birth, marriage and death certificates they had. Nothing official in the way of death certificates was available before 1911, but I did find that Joanna Sidney Anderson Hewett's mother's maiden name was Wigglesworth. I made $2.60 worth of copies at 20 cents each, including another better copy of R.C. Hewett's obituary, and several death certificates.

Bob meanwhile kept feeding the parking meter and looked up Carl Brenner. He found a little booklet with no illustrations for an exhibition that had been held about 15 years ago, and copied it. He also found a little bit on his son. We left the library about 3:30 We had dinner at the Dairy Queen. And then I went and used the computer in the main office for a bit.

Tomorrow we are going to Charleston WV


Popular Hotels in Taylorsville

Edgewater Resort

1238 Settlers Trace Road, Taylorsville

View all Taylorsville hotels

View all Taylorsville hotels

 Edgewater Resort

We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:

Edgewater Hotel Taylorsville

Address: 1238 Settlers Trace Road, Taylorsville, Kentucky, 40071, United States