Value Place Alexandria

1000 MacArthur Drive, Alexandria, Louisiana, 71303, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Alexandria

traced reproduction page colored by William age 3traced reproduction page colored by William age 3

Travel Tips for Alexandria

BuickMackane's Alexandria, Louisiana Page

by BuickMackane

"(We lived in this area for over two years!)"

Wow, this has been a surprise. I got more mail about Alexandria than any other page I have created on VT. Thanks to everyone who has written on this subject!

What's so controversial about this place, you might wonder? It seems that VT members who live in Alexandria take great exception to my reporting what happened during our first visit to their city in March 2002. Several people we met, including our own family members, told us that Alexandria was a high crime area and to be very careful. We took it at face value because of all the stories about murders and shootouts reported by the local paper, The Town Talk.

We traveled to Alexandria because my daughter and I have cousins who moved from Southern California to settle out in the bayou in Deville, Louisiana, about half an hour east of Alexandria. (I decided Deville needs a VT page of its own; my cousins have been there 14 years and are still considered newcomers!) My relatives are very happy in Louisiana, and they wanted us to come down and check it out for ourselves, maybe even consider moving down to join them. The nearest cities to Deville are Alexandria-Pineville, LA. Alexandria has the best hotels, a convention center, an international airport, a smaller airfield, a former US Air Force base, and the Greyhound bus terminal. For this reason, we stayed at a lovely old landmark in Alexandria called the Hotel Bentley (see picture above; they actually had a throne in the lobby!).

You can click on the small images of little Nathalie to see much larger photos which will enable you to read the historic signs. Here's a livecam shot of current conditions from KALB Channel 5 in Alexandria:

(Oops: With the new VT codes, if you can't see this photo link any more, its address is http://media.mgbg.com/kalb/images/weather/towercam.jpg )

Update: We had such a great time in Louisiana that we actually did move down from Massachusetts. First we stayed with our cousins in Deville, but then we went over to Alexandria for a couple of weeks until we could move into our own place in Pineville. And guess what? Somebody kept trying to break into the apartment where we were staying, and we had to call 911 in the middle of the night! So, there you have it; it's just reporting from personal experience, that's all.

We really loved living in Louisiana, but after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, it was too difficult for us to stay there and we sadly returned to Massachusetts in November 2005.

Comments