Cambria Suites Baton Rouge 1-10/College park

4964 Constitution Avenue, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70808, United States
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Baton Rouge
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Baton Rouge

st. joseph cathedralst. joseph cathedral

Driving through the cityDriving through the city

Entrance to the graveyardEntrance to the graveyard

Entrance marker of the Pentagon BarracksEntrance marker of the Pentagon Barracks

Baton Rouge/New Orleans

by al_mary

Greetings from Massachsetts,

We are going to take a long weekend in
December, the 20th thru the 23rd to visit the
Baton Rouge / New Orleans Area ...

What is the weather like during that time
period in that area ?

Is there anything special going on for the
Christmas season in that area ?

Any suggestions for a good B&B in the
New Orleans area ?

We will be renting a car, so getting around
will be no problem ...

Any help appreciated ... :o)

Mary and Al - Massachusetts

Re: Baton Rouge/New Orleans

by Robachu1

During my 4 years in New Orleans (during college), I remember the winters as being wet and cold but that was usually January and February. Decembers were never really too bad, as I recall.

My wife and I visited New Orleans during December about 4 years ago and were greeted with beautiful sunny weather the entire time we were there. We did have to wear light jacktets during the daytime hours and a little bit heavier coats after dark though.

Here is a list of things going on in NOLA and vicinity during December:

DECEMBER

Christmas-New Orleans Style: Dec. 1-31, New Orleans. Tours of historic homes, candlelight caroling, madrigal dinners, chefs' demonstrations. 522-5730.

A Bayou Christmas: Dec. 5-6, Larose, Larose Regional Park. Evening boat parade, children's events, snowfield, music, Cajun food and more. (985) 693-7355.

Christmas Extravaganza Arts & Crafts Expo: Dec. 5-7, St. Tammany Parish Fair Grounds, 1304 N. Columbia St. Hundreds of craft booths, food and a Christmas village. (985) 796-5853.

Plaquemines Parish Fair and Orange Festival: Dec. 6-7, Buras, historic Fort Jackson. Cajun music, arts and crafts, citrus displays, orange-peeling and -eating contests. (985) 564-2951.

St. Lucy Festival of Lights: Dec. 14, St. Martinville, St. Martin d'Tours Church Square. Holiday light displays, crafts, food, children's games, music, street and boat parades. (337) 394-2233.

Festival of the Bonfires: Dec. 12-14, Lutcher/Gramercy, Knights of Columbus Home and on the levee. Cajun food, music, jambalaya cook-off, crafts and nightly bonfires. 800-367-7852/www.festivalofthebonfires.org.

Once Upon a Cajun Christmas: Dec. 6, Houma, downtown. Christmas parade with Papa Noel, caroling, entertainment, tree lighting and more. 800-688-2732.

Bonfest: Dec. 23, Port Allen, Court Street at the levee. Seasonal bonfires, food, appearance by Santa Claus, children's activities, live music, fireworks, a Christmas Village and more. 800-654-9701.

Re: Baton Rouge/New Orleans

Hi Mary and Al,
I'm a recent transplant from Connecticut to Baton Rouge (only been here 5 months). I'm just discovering what Christmas in a warm climate is like and I am loving it, so far! One thing I've been told not to miss is the downtown areas of NO and BR with the lights and nightly festivities, especially in NO. There are websites that I should be able to find for you.

There are a few members here who live in the NO area and have mentioned a B7B or two, although I don't think they're as popular down here as they are in New England. I'll try look some up for you.

What part of MA are you from? I lived near the Berkshires.

Have fun,
Angie

Re: Re: Baton Rouge/New Orleans

by ABL1958

I should learn to read all the replies before me---the person posting first gave you lots of good info! If there is anything else you'd like to know that I might be able to find out for you locally, let me know!

Travel Tips for Baton Rouge

Bayous

by ABL1958

There are many swamps (bayous) in this area, some of which are developed so that visitors can walk through them on raised walkways and enjoy the flora and fauna there. I saw lizards up close and birds unlike ones I've seen up north. People think "alligators" when they think Louisiana but I have only seen one in the wild over the 12 times I've visited---and that was a small one (with plenty of teeth!).

Nottoway-White Castle La

by BruceDunning

It was completed in 1859 by John Randolph. The home has 53,000 Sf and once had 7,000 acres of land growing sugar. The decline was traumatic for Randolph who died during the war and the family all were broke afterword; 11 children.

Worth the trip

by MJA78 about Charle's

The food is fantastic. The seafood is excellent. The steaks are more than a mere mortal can consume. What else can I say.

There is a large selection of fried and broiled Louisiana seafood as well as steaks and specialty dishes. Everything is great. My wife loves the crab cakes covered in crab augratin and I have to agree with her. The catfish is tender and juicy as are the shrimp and oysters. I have not personally had a steak, but I have been told by many that the they are great. Fried catfish, oysters and shrimp. Crab cakes with crab augratin.

Huey Long's Grave

by grandmaR

The 1949 movie "All the King's Men", piqued my interest in Huey Long aka "The Kingfish". In 1960 when we lived in Louisiana, I read the book "Louisiana Hayride".

Huey Long built 2,300 more paved roads, plus 6,000 miles of gravel roads and 12 bridges across Louisiana rivers. He provided free schoolbooks for children, free night schools for adults, a new medical school and a new system of charity hospitals and he eliminated the poll tax. That's what people remember about him.

I was fascinated to find that old Huey was buried on the grounds of the new capital.

Long was critically wounded on September 8, 1935 while he was a U.S. Senator and died two days later. At the time, it was assumed that Dr. Carl Weiss was the assassin. Long was heavily guarded with submachine gun toting bodyguards and it was never determined whose bullets entered Long's body. There is speculation that bullets from his bodyguards provided the mortal wounds after richocheting. There has been some conjecture that one of Long's bodyguards may have killed Long under the influence of supporters of President Franklin Roosevelt, who perceived Long as a threat in the 1936 election. Dr. Weiss was killed at the same time. Bullet holes are still visible in the hall of the Louisiana State Capital where Long was shot.

Huey Long's body is under a large statue of him which faces the capital.

Engraving on the back of Long statue:

HUEY PIERCE LONG

Friend of the Poor Who Dreamed Of
The Day When the Wealth of the Land
Would Be Spread Among All the People

I Know the Hearts of the People
Because I Have Not Colored My Own.
I Know When I Am Right In My Own
Conscience I Have One Language.
Its Simplicity Gains Pardon For
My Lack of Letters. Fear Will Not
Change It. Persecution Will Not
Change It. It Cannot Be Changed
While People Suffer.

Erected By The State Of Louisiana 1940

Minor League Hockey...in the SOUTH??

by ABL1958

Minor League Hockey! Can you believe that the very first 'live' ice hockey game I see is in the warm Deep South? And I come from the North, near the birthplace of hockey! :) Paul and I took in a game of the Baton Rouge Kingfish vs the (help! I can't remember)----it was so much fun: lively, loud, entertaining, exciting! I've watched plenty of hockey on TV, but this was great, being right behind the glass and seeing the sweat and almost feeling the hits. Thanks Paul, I had a blast! (The Kingfish won, by the way.)

Comments