Cook Hotel at LSU

3848 West Lakeshore Drive, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70803, United States
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

More about Baton Rouge

governor huey p. longgovernor huey p. long

louisiana state capitollouisiana state capitol

View of Baton Rouge and the Capital groundsView of Baton Rouge and the Capital grounds

Looking up from the front stepsLooking up from the front steps

Travel Tips for Baton Rouge

Packing List

by ABL1958

I arrived November 9th just after a cold front had moved through the southern part of the State. Even coming from the chilly northeast I found the wind to be somewhat uncomfortable although a sweater would have been adequate. This time of year one can go from wearing sundresses or shorts to wearing long pants and sweaters, but a coat isn't really necessary. Summer weather is another story altogether I hear. This is a subtropical zone so keep that in mind. I am told that constant breezes are very common throughout the year due to the proximity of the city to the Gulf. This helps move the humidity and makes the summer heat less intense.

Casinos

by cynthi about There are 2 Riverboat Casinos in Baton Rouge

One is called The Argosy Casino and the other is Hollywood Casino (old Casino Rouge). They are both pretty easy to find (big signs) and since they are boats, they dock by the River. Docking is really a misnomer... when Edwin Edwards was governor, he really laid the path for gambling in Louisiana. In trying to look like he was pleasing everyone while lining his own pockets, Baton Rouge ended up with the non-land based casinos, that were supposed to sail on the river, but after a short time, everyone just gave up on the whole sailing thing. Too bad, because I think that would be the best part of going.
I'm not really a good judge of which one to go to (lack of gambling experience) although I can say that The Argosy has live music in its Pavillion (before you enter the boat). Casino Rouge has live music too... in the "Rythems Lounge". They've got a pretty decent dance area too, perfect for when Stormy (my favorite dance band in Baton Rouge) plays there - usually once per month. Wear whatever you want.

For the More Upscale...

by Jmill42 about Juban's

This is where me and my entire family had my graduation dinner. This follows after I had eaten there for my friends graduation dinner the semester before. Both times I was floored by the food. Absolutely amazing dishes. Be prepared to spend $25-35 on your food (with appetizers). Throw in wine and you could be looking at a heafty bill, but once again, if you can it is worth it! The smoked chicken, duck , and andouille gumbo is the best "appetizer" I have ever had. I normally follow the credo of eating the type of food the restaurant is know for, i.e. eat fish in a seafood place. But, I tasted the steak at my friend's dinner, and when it came time to my celebration, I was salivating weeks prior to the meal with the thoughts of the New York Strip steak. It did not disappoint! The veal is also one of their great dishes. Itruely think you cannot go wrong ordering at this place.

Louisiana Art and Science Museum

by grandmaR

I have not been to this museum (it isn't open on Monday so we couldn't have gone even if we wanted to), but we parked next to it to take photos of the Old State Capital. Probably we could only park BECAUSE it was closed.

LSM galleries will be open:
Tuesday-Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.*
Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday Closed

Irene W. Pennington Planetarium will be open:

Tuesday-Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday Closed

Admission Museum + Planetarium Show
Adults $6 $8

Children(2-12),
Seniors (65+) $5 $7

The website says: "Housed in a historic railroad depot on the banks of the Mississippi River, the Louisiana Art & Science Museum offers educational and entertainment opportunities for visitors of all ages. Featured are changing fine art exhibitions, interactive art and science galleries for children, and the Ancient Egypt Gallery. In addition, the center offers lectures, workshops, and classes. LASM is also home to the Irene W. Pennington Planetarium and ExxonMobil Space Theater, which offers planetarium shows and large-format films.

LSU Tiger football

by DJMist

The predominant religion in Louisiana - LSU football. Tiger Stadium holds close to 100,000 rabid lunatic fans. It's the fifth largest on-campus college football stadium in the nation. Perenially high ranking team and always entertaining. You can usually scalp tickets out in front on game day. If you have a chance to experience a SEC game here - do it!

Comments