Corporate Inn

More about Baton Rouge

farm buidingfarm buiding

evergree plantationevergree plantation

Sign about Baton Rouge in FrenchSign about Baton Rouge in French

Another picture of the bus rounding a cornerAnother picture of the bus rounding a corner

Travel Tips for Baton Rouge

Rural Life Museum at LSU

by grandmaR

Our admission as seniors was $6.00 each. There was a film, which they accidentally showed to us in French (it is in four languages). I could kind of understand it but not in time to translate for Bob. The admissions person (who was an LSU student from Poland) mentioned that we could walk to a nearby plantation and I asked if there were wheelchairs. He said there were motorized wheelchairs and a scooter, so I opted for the scooter, which I thought looked like fun (and was)

First we looked at the actual museum part which included some funeral carriages with a couple of cast iron coffins.

After that I scooted on my scooter out into the outdoor part of the museum which was mostly various types of buildings brought from other places. A schoolhouse, store, dove cote, slave cabins, overseer's house, church, etc.

At one point, I got stuck on the gravel path and was spinning my wheels and had to get off an push. I also was not sure the scooter would fit on a little wooden bridge, so I went around the other way.

I met Bob in the graveyard (which was just markers from other places kind of scattered around) and he said "I might have known I would find you in the cemetery".

There are many GREAT...

by bethgarn

There are many GREAT restaurants in Baton Rouge, but if you want really good Cajun food, try Brunet's Cajun Restaurant. It is owned and operated by a real 'Cajun Family'. You can't make a bad choice from the menu. The poboys are heaped full of shrimp, oysters, catfish, etc. They also have platters with all your favorites. During crawfish season you have to have a platter of boiled crawfish. They are the best in town. They even have Cajun bands come in to play. If you are there in the daytime, tell the bartender 'Tootie' that Beth says Hi.
The prices are quite reasonable and the people are friendly. Don't forget the Cajun music too. This is a hard one. Everything is great. I guess I would have to say the Crab Platter. There are many different flavors to this because crab is fixed about five different ways.

Raising Cane's

by cynthi about Raising Cane's

Famous around Baton Rouge, Rasin' Cane's is a local fast food joint pioneered by some (at the time) LSU students. The perfect for after you go out... but if you eat here, you will have consumed enough fat grams to last through the winter! Really, I can't eat there anymore... I overdid it when I was a freshman in college. Chicken... Fried. It's all they have. ask for, the box... replace the coleslaw for some extra texas toast, or some canes sauce (everyone loves the sauce)

Pentagon Barracks Additions

by keeweechic

The galleries on the outsides of the structures were added about 10 years after the buildings were completed. There were complaints from the soldiers living there that it was too hot and so the verandas were added.

LSU rural life museum

by doug48

the LSU rural life museum is an excellent place to experience what louisiana was like in the 1800's. the museum has an excellent collection of relics of life in rural louisiana. the star attraction of the museum is it's collection of 19th century hearses and cast iron coffins. on the grounds of the museum is a collection of over 25 19th century buildings. for those interested in history and southern culture the rural life museum is a very worth while stop in baton rouge.

Comments