4914 Constitution, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70808, United States

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Baton Rouge

shaw centershaw center

Looking out at the riverLooking out at the river

Dusty horse drawn hearse with shovelsDusty horse drawn hearse with shovels

Shores of Capital LakeShores of Capital Lake

Get to Baton Rouge from New Orleans Airport?

by dan_stha

Is there any Shuttle or any other ground transportation from New Orleans to Baton Rouge?

Re: Get to Baton Rouge from New Orleans Airport?

by mccalpin

This sort of information is normally found an an airport's website.

"Reliant Transportation Group: Provides ground transportation between Louis Armstrong International Airport and Baton Rouge, La. including Gonzales, Prairieville, Port Allen, Baker, Denham Springs and Zachary. Prices start at $90 One Way for one or two guests. Call for group pricing at: 1-866-925-8110. 48 hour advance reservations requested. www.relianttransportation.com"

From the airport's website at http://www.flymsy.com/

I have no personal knowledge of the service, so I encourage you to look at the website and/or call them. Note the request for advances reservations, since I imagine that this is not a daily event.

I would think that most people rent a car (I certainly would).

Bill

Travel Tips for Baton Rouge

An Eventful Stop Off

by keeweechic

We had originally planned to visit Baton Rouge on our trip south but we changed plans and stayed an extra night in Galveston. It was then the plan to travel straight through to New Orleans and not stop. As it would happen, We had been following the activities of Hurricane Isidore out in the gulf (which fortunately changed to a tropical storm before it hit the coast). We thought we could make it into New Orleans. 20 miles out of New Orleans, we fortunately happened to pull off I-10 to pick up petrol. While at the gas station we were told that New Orleans (The French Quarter) was underwater and I-10 was also underwater and being closed and so circumstances made it that we did stay in Baton Rouge after all.

Port Allen Locks

by grandmaR

Since it wasn't far to Shreveport, I decided to go see the Plaquemine Locks, which are a historic landmark. But I was confused by the signs and when we came to one that said "Port Allen Locks (about 0930) and Bob asked if that was it, I said yes.

This turned out to be a working lock on the Red River - the one that had replaced the Plaquemine Lock. We were just in time to watch a tug with some barges lock down to the canal. The canal shortens the distance to the Gulf of Mexico by approximately 120 miles. Photo 3 shows the tug just entering the lock. The guy who was running things explained everything because of course we had a lot of questions. He called on the radio to the boats waiting out on the river to go through (photo 2).

After the lock gates closed (photo 5), the tug crew put a line over the bollards in the side of the lock (photo 4). There was one at the front of the barges and one at the rear. This keeps the barges and tug from hitting the lock walls. The bollards go up and down with the water, so it was not necessary to change the length of the lines as the water was let out of the lock.

Port Allen is serviced by Interstate 10 and US Highway 190, both of which intersect with LA Highways 1 and 415. It is free

Hands Down, The Best Seafood Ever!

by SouthernMama7682 about Parrain's Seafood Restaurant

Parrain's is, by far, my favorite restaurant. The food is WONDERFUL. I've never left still hungry and never been dissatisfied with the service.

They offer "real southern style" seafood and in my opinion it's the best around.

The prices aren't too bad either. My favorite is pretty simple . . . The Fried Shrimp Platter. I tend to stick to the same dish everytime I go but that is only because it's the best. They give a very generous amount of fried shrimp along with french fries, dirty rice and hushpuppies. You also get a salad with the meal.

Oh and I highly recommend their Tobasco Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette salad dressing. It is to die for. I have even came up with my own version of the dressing to make at home.

The Old State Capitol

by keeweechic

The old State Capital is now the centre for Political and Governmental History. The Gothic styled building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1975. You can see a multimedia presentation, interactive exhibits, political research library, political memorabilia and film and videotapes of state leaders.

"Sir Walter Scott is probably responsible for the Capitol building; for it is not inconceivable that this little sham castle would ever have been built if he had not run the people mad, a couple of generations ago, with his medieval romances."

-Mark Twain - expressing his dislike of the Old State Capitol, in his 1883 book, "Life on the Mississippi."

The Louisiana Old Governor's Mansion

by Virtuous_Tourist

This mansion is an example of Southern Colonial architecture. It has been restored and furnished to reflect the times and personalities that lived there from 1930-1962.

Open for tours and Special Events.

Comments