146 Rushing Rd, Denham Springs, LA 70726
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Denham Springs

Cemetery on the way in to Baton RougeCemetery on the way in to Baton Rouge

Biloxi water towerBiloxi water tower

Road in BiloxiRoad in Biloxi

Structure on Biloxi shoreStructure on Biloxi shore

Travel Tips for Denham Springs

Denham Springs is named after...

by cynthi

Denham Springs is named after some natural mineral springs in the area. You can see some in Spring Park (off River Road in Denham). The history, taken from http://www.livingstonparish.com/springs.htm, is very interesting. Ground-water springs which some to the surface at the base of the low- lying ridge which runs through the center of the city have figured in the city's name since at least the 1850's. The area has been known as Amite Springs, Hill's Springs, and Denham Springs... A popular belief, supported by previously published histories, is that William Denham discovered the mineral springs on his property and that a health resort quickly grew up there. This belief defies logic, however, considering the number of springs which may be found in this area even today, and the length of time that elapsed before Denham arrived on the scene. No doubt that early residents of the area depended on the springs for drinking water.

Jan 6, 2008 - Sunday

by grandmaR

We checked out about 9:30 (after I got my $8.00 worth of internet for the 24 hours), and were on our way up to I-10 before 10:00. Today we are going to Baton Rouge. We passed through Mobile before 11, and I was reading about places along the way

and realized that we were approaching Biloxi which had a lighthouse right there on the shore. So we turned off a little before noon, and went to Biloxi, and there was the lighthouse. Bob pulled off the road opposite it, and I got out and took some photos. Apparently everything else in the area was destroyed by Katrina except the lighthouse and the statue of Pierre Lemoyne D'Iberville which was next to it. Looking very shorn and tentative, I must say - the statue that is - the lighthouse is cast iron and looked fine - even seemed to have a fresnel lens in it.

There doesn't seem to be much else in Biloxi except casinos. Of which there are a-plenty. Up and running.

There was a lot of construction going on, or at least evidence that some construction or re-construction was being done on other things. We wanted to get lunch and we had to drive a couple of miles down the coast to the next town before we found a Burger King to eat lunch. We were back out on the road by 1300.

When we got off the interstate at Denham Springs (about 10 miles east of Baton Rouge) we got gas (which was pretty cheap in Louisiana). We were checked in to the Hampton Inn by 1530. They had a big flat screen TV with satellite. We were on the second floor. (They have elevators.) We asked the girl at the desk where to eat and she gave us a number of recommendations, including Don's Seafood Hut, which was almost right next to the hotel.

Bob had his raw oysters again. I had crawfish gumbo, and crabmeat au gratin which was excellent. I had bread pudding for dessert and Bob had an enormous hot fudge brownie sundae.

"January 7th -"

I got on the internet to see how we were going to organize our sightseeing. After breakfast at the Hampton Inn (which had just opened and was much cheaper than staying IN Baton Rouge, but they didn't have any literature on Baton Rouge as a result of having been open only about a month), I asked the breakfast lady about a map I had seen on the internet of a free trolley in downtown Baton Rouge. She had never heard of such a thing, and tried to find that and couldn't so I went in and used their computer, and found it and printed it out and we were on our way to Baton Rouge by about 10.

Comments