1407 Martin Luther King Dr., Monroe, Louisiana, 71202, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

On the Way to Texas

I made this reservation because it was about halfway between the previous hotel outside of Mobile, and our daughter's house in Frisco. The weather was really bad for driving, so we were glad to get here

We had been assigned to a room on the second floor and the hotel had no elevator, so the receptionist gave us the handicapped room. We can even park outside the door of our room.

Some time after we got there, there was some violent pounding on the door. I thought it might be kids who had the wrong room, so Bob looked through the peep hole and then opened the door and asked them what they wanted. They apparently had the wrong room. I asked him if it was children and he said no, that it was two adult black females. When he was telling our daughter about it later, he said they were "working girls".

When we checked out I told the man at the desk about this and he seemed disturbed and asked what I wanted to do, but I didn't want anything - just to tell him about the incident.

We saw from the TV that they have one of the next interchanges on I-20 closed for a water main repair so I asked the man at the hotel desk and he gave me specific directions which worked very well.

Unique Quality: I love the handicapped rooms as they have a seat in the shower so I can sit down as I shower.

There was no restaurant that we could drive to without getting back on the interstate, so Bob just went to Burger King and brought back some hamburgers. Cheapest dinner to date.

There was the usual good Hampton Inn breakfast the next morning

Directions: From I-20 take Exit 118A. Hotel is on the left. From Highway 165 North, hotel is on the left just past the I-20 overpass.

More about Monroe

sweep the kitchensweep the kitchen

Better than you'd think, just don't think too hardBetter than you'd think, just don't think too hard

Layton CastleLayton Castle

ULM gameULM game

Travel Tips for Monroe

Miss Louisiana Beauty Pageant

by vigi

Our next stop is Louisiana Purchase Zoo. Guys in our group were excited, no, not because of the zoo animals, but because Miss Louisiana Beauty Pageant were having their shootings in the zoo!!! (^0^) I wish they'd have "Louisiana Man Hunt" and I'd be more happy!!!

Drive-Thru Daquiri

by Small_World

Louisiana has an open container law (meaning that you can't have an open container of an alcoholic beverage in the front seat of a vehicle) to discourage drinking and driving. Yet scattered throughout Monroe are these drive-through liquor places. They get around the law by leaving the end of the straw covered with paper. Yep. That would certainly make me wait until I got home before I took a drink. All you need is a drivers license to prove you are over 21 (if you are the driver) and around four dollars (for a small drink - around 8 ounces).

This custom doesn't make sense to me. But when in Monroe...

Italian in Monroe

by turnip2000 about Genusa's Italian Restaurant

While not the experience that the Chateau can promise, Genusa's is a nice place away from the madness of I-20 and chains in a nice area near Forsythe Park in Monroe. The wine list is pretty good as well...walk down to "Windows" bookstore after you eat.

Life like a thick syrup

by turnip2000

"Almost home....."

Monroe is very close to my hometown (30 miles) and is the biggest city in over 100 miles. I never even thought about doing a VT page for Monroe until I started reading a few pages from some VT friends and realized that sometimes the most offbeat and not always "postcard pretty" are the best locals to experience. I have so many memories (good and bad) from Monroe that it will be hard to be objective, but I will try.

Why go to Monroe/Ouachita parish? I think it would be fun for the sort of person who really likes out of the way places and NO tourists. Good god...I mean none. I will write some of the best tips you can imagine (or best possible for this area!). Keep an open mind and be prepared for the DEEP South where not much has changed in 20 or 30 years, but this is exactly WHY one should visit. The people here are truly "real" and in many ways the salt of the South. Another reason might be if you are a hard core smoker. Monroe has yet to jump on the anti smoking campaign and you can still smoke almost everywhere until your heart is content. Even at the airport! oh yeeah..

Monroe has 53,000 people and West Monroe on the other side of the Ouachita river has an additional 18,000. It is one city, but don't tell the folks in West Monroe that. Don't ask me either. It is weird and a waste of money to have two city governments, but like many things in the South race plays a factor.

Most people simply drive through Monroe and hold their noses because the first thing you notice is a strange pungent smell from the paper mill. It does appear to simply be a maze of streets and lightpoles, but there is more if you are patient and like a little ecentricity. If you live there you really do not smell it very often because one gets used to it and since it is the heart of the economy, albeit a weak one, one comes to appreciate the smell.

Go and drive through a daquiri stand and grab a po boy and sweat a bit...you just might enjoy it....

"Bayous & rivers"

Like most of Louisiana, Ouachita parish and the surrounding region has its share of Bayous and swamps. Bayou Desiard is a beautiful bayou that runs through the heart of the city and university and has many nice areas to fish and canoe...well, if you don't mind the oppresive heat and bugs, but hey, that's Louisiana....

One of the most impressive bayous is Black Bayou not only because of the sheer beauty, but it has one of the largest snapping turtle populations in the world. Why? Because folks in South Louisiana eat them and we don't. Don't let one bite you. It hurts like the dickens! I will give a tip later on how to get there.

"Downtown..."

Sadly the downtown of Monroe has gone the way of many centers in the South in so far as it has been almost abandoned. Somehow many people seem to think that chain eateries along the Interstate mean progress and any mention of downtown redevelopment is met with sighs and usual complaints about not being able to park 1.2 feet from the entrance of a store in their SUV. West Monroe however does have a thriving downtown that I will touch upon later on this page.

Comments