1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter/New Orleans B&B

1422. N. Rampart St., French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States

• They will take your money!

I know there is A LOT to read on this website, which is the trap that I fell into. I didn't read some of it because there is so much. My friend and I wanted to see the city before we embarked on our cruise so I found this site and fell in love with the cottage. I reserved it online, HUGE mistake. My cruise is not until Jan. 2012 so I though lets reserve early. They charged my credit card right away, HALF the room rate as a DEPOSIT. I didn't read it anywhere but like I said a lot on the website to read. I made me negative in my account, so I called and canceled the same day. As soon as I found out they had taken money out of my account. It took two weeks of me calling every other day to get the money back into my account and then I was $50.00 SHORT. So I called again, and here is where the fine print is really fine. That fifty dollars is there CANCELLATION FEE. I didn't even have the room reserved for 24 HOURS. It's gone, so they go my $50 for doing (excuse profanity) ***!!!! NOT EVEN 24 HOURS!!!! They said it was in a policy that is somewhere on the website. If you haven't seen the website, there is a lot on the website. I don't know how the rooms are but I know that the business is not run very well and they are thieves in my opinion. All I have to say is read the fine print and all that is on the website which again is A LOT. Give them your money at your own risk.

Unique Quality: Even after they had taken the money out of my account we were still going to stay there because we had fallen in love. But after the Stealing of my money. No way in the world.

Directions: Don't Go!!

• jessicat1982's Profile Photo

Great Place For First Time Travelers

the B&B was fantastic and about a ten to fifteen minute walk down esplanade - a very nice *residential* area filled with old town houses typical to the french quarter - to decanteur which is down by the river. it's a *five* minute walk to bourbon. the location is great - I went there alone(I'm a twenty-two year old woman) and I felt perfectly safe walking back to the b&b at 11:30 at night.

as for the interior, it looks *exactly* like the pictures posted on their website. the Hilton it is not, but who wants to stay at a boring, uniform hotel when you're in *New Orleans*, a city know for it's colorful architecture and quirky, unique charm?

Although I barely got to speak to Hugh, Mary was an absolute darling. They say they specialize in first time travellers and they mean it. After greeting me at the door and showing me to my room, she actually *walked* me down to bourbon street, gave me a street map and pointed out some places of interest. They also sent me a *ton* of information before my visit. Now what other bed and breakfast do you know of that will go that far out of their way for guests?

As for the comments that it was dirty, it's a really old house filled with antiques and curios. of course it was a little dusty, but what else do you expect? the room it's self was immaculate (with the exception of my purchased articles strewn all over the extra bed::grin::) and was cleaned every day. I never had to worry about clean towels or missing toilet paper and I was pleasantly suprised at the air conditioning and great water pressure in the bathroom.

if you're looking for a place to stay that offers all the modern amenities you get at a chain hotel with a unique atmosphere and hospitality you'll only find in new orleans, book your stay at the banana courtyard. I promise you won't regret it.

Unique Quality: Mary, the owner. goes above and beyond nominal duties to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. the courtyard is beautiful and you could spend hour upon hour looking at all the different curios collected from various sources. the place is practically a museum:)

Directions: At the edge of the french quarter

• The only way to stay in New Orleans

We stayed at the main B&B for a convention. Contrary to the negative review, it is neither in a bad neighborhood nor shady- except for the shade provide d by the banana tree and other plants ;).

This was our first trip to New Orleans and I didn't want to stay in a hotel because they're expensive, look the same everywhere, and hey, this city has such charming old houses with a history, what better way to spend your time than in one of those?

The house itself would probably take a few days to explore with all the things Mary and Hugh, the hosts, have collected and put on display. Our room, the Madame's Steamboat Room (the house used to be a brothel) was very cute.

Basically, we felt like we were staying in someone's home (which is actually the case, Mary and Hugh live there as well). The rates are sensible, and you get discounts for longer stays. I say try it, you'll never want to stay in a hotel again!

Unique Quality: Mary and Hugh were nothing but helpful, and their banana tree does produce some delicious fruit. Breakfast is excellent, with different local specialties every day, and a large variety of other things, including organic cereal.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo

Mary & Hugh Ramsey: Hosts with the Most!

As New Orleans hotels go, this was a really excellent value. Madame's Steamboat Room was US $135 per night, the nicest room in the house with a private bath. We got a discount when I called back to reserve extra nights. Taxes (12%), lodging surcharges, bus station pick-up, deluxe continental breakfast, and beverages were all included. Return transportation to the airport is an additional US $28 payable to the driver, who is typically a private tour guide employed by the inn instead of a taxi driver. The Creole driver who chauffeured us on both trips, Ferdinand, is extremely knowledgeable and you'll learn a lot from him and his beautiful wife, Noella!

Unique Quality: This B&B's staff specializes in getting first-time visitors to New Orleans fully acquainted and up-to-speed so that they get the maximum enjoyment from their stay. They provide customized itineraries to suit each guest. The house is a former bordello, and the rooms and common areas are beautifully decorated!

We felt confident enough to explore on our own for our second trip, and the innkeepers allowed us to use their own private duplex townhouse directly in the French Quarter. I'll put the photos in a separate travelogue. We absolutely loved the Garconierre!

Directions: The innkeepers insist on keeping their exact address a well-guarded secret. I will tell you, however, that it's at the entrance to the French Quarter, that's all!

More about 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter/New Orleans B&B

loved the Banana Courtyard

by TripAdvisor Member darow

My husband and I along with another couple just returned from a seven night stay at the Banana Courtyard and we can' t say enough about the wonderful southern hospitality dished up by both of the innkeepers, Hugh & Mary Ramsey. We were a short walk to everywhere . Hugh kept us entertained with an endless supply of stories, which added greatly to the visit. We met a lot of great people around the breakfast table and traded trip stories. The Ramseys were very helpful and went out of their way to accomodate their guests needs. Unlike many B&B's, there were no restrictions placed on us and we were completely free to come and go as we pleased, no matter what the hour. We would definitely make a point of staying at the Banana Courtyard upon our return to new Orleans. This place had something most other accomodations lack, it had heart.

Get spoiled at The 1870 Banana Courtyard!

This was our first experience in a bed and breakfast. Mary and Hugh Ramsey, who run the 1870 Banana Courtyard Bed and Breakfast in New Orleans, Louisiana are wonderful! They absolutly spoiled us. Every morning, we woke up to the smells of coffees and teas and pastries from nearby bakeries. We were celebrating our honeymoon, and found flowers and a bottle of champagne upon arrival. The house is full of interesting antiques and posters. We had the best nights sleep on the huge king sized bed, which we just melted into after a long days worth of sightseeing and playing in the French Quarter. The huge clawfoot tub was great for a relaxing bubble bath in the evening. We lounged on the veranda with glasses of wine during the day in New Orleans when we needed a break. The Ramseys will offer you wine, beer or even cigars (if willing to smoke outside) if you catch them during the day. Mary and Hugh are both excellent storytellers and very informative on where to go (and where not to go). We could have spent an entire day just listening to their stories and reading all the information they have laying around the B and B. It felt more like home than a hotel. They took care of all dinner, lunch and event reservations, making for a truly stress free honeymoon. We are already planning to come back to New Orleans in a few years( and of course, stay with the Ramseys!), though I am ready to pack my bags and move down to the Big Easy! Mary, Hugh, and Don, thank you so much for making our stay so incredible.

Great place to stay in New Orleans

by TripAdvisor Member 2_Hip

We recently came back from our vacation in New Orleans. To say the least, we had a great time. Our stay wouldn't have been anywhere as great if we hadn't stayed at the Banana Courtyard B & B. What makes it such a fantastic place to stay, beside the restored 1870's building itself, are the owners, Mary and Hugh Ramsey. Their hospitality makes one's stay the best possible experience. They have prepared a detailed folder of what to do, where to eat, what to see, etc. With this guide we were able to eat at the places the locals eat and hear music at the clubs the locals visit. New Orleans is so much more than Bourbon Street. We highly recommend the1870 Banana Courtyard Bed and Breakfast !

Safety issues

by TripAdvisor Member Ravenwilde

The 1870 Banana Courtyard is an acceptable and comfortable option for the traveler who isn't too picky about details. It is true that the location is adjacent to a rough area, but so is half of New Orleans. However, the young woman in the previous review who walked alone in the neighborhood at 11:30 at night has misled TripAdvisor readers about the safety of the area. She was EXTREMELY unwise to do so, and VERY lucky to have made it safely back to the B&B wtihout incident. New Orleans is a charming city - and it is also a high crime city. There are areas where tourists should not walk even in the daytime, and they would do well to research these before coming to the city.

more than we ever expected & great location

After reading bunches of great reviews here, we reserved a room. When we got there, room and B&B far beyond what we expected. They need better photos on web site, cause they give you no idea of how fantastik place is.

We also didn’t expect for them to have music club magazine for us & all sort of info about sightseeing, place to eat. Then we got our next surprise. They walked us down to Bourbon St and did mini French Quarter tour along the way.

Took many of their suggestions and all were right on mark!

Figure this is a good place for us to tell others about Banana Courtyard and New Orleans. We ate, drank & danced the days away. Port of Call, Café Brazil and Funky Pirate were our favorites.

Hope to get back to the B&B and French Quarter soon.

The only place I will ever stay in New Orleans

by TripAdvisor Member feverburn

I didn't believe Hugh when he said that someone had left Banana a bad review b/c I for one was more impressed with this BandB than I had thought possible, but apparently some people are too finicky to appreciate the wonderful place that is Banana Courtyard. Mary and Hugh are two of the most hospitable, helpful ppl. I have ever met, and Mary's wealth of knowledge abt. N.O., which she is only too happy to share, is truly astounding. My first trip to New Orleans was absolutely amazing, thanks in no small part to our wonderful accommodations. The collections of books, photos, and antiques are fascinating, and the decor is lovely. Every amenity you can imagine was at hand, right down to spare bath robes, a lighted makeup mirror (very important for us ladies), and a sound machine in case we found the outside noise (which is really nothg. more than the noise one usually finds in a city) too disturbing (we didn't). And as further proof that the negative reviewer is totally out of line, I was travelling w/a friend of mine who is, as she readily admits, "prissy," but even she found Banana charming and declared it the best place we could have stayed. I will definitely be coming back to New Orleans and when I do, I will be staying only at the Banana Courtyard -- it is hands down the best place I have ever stayed.

1870 Banana Courtyard B&B, New Orleans, LA

by BuickMackane

"We highly recommend Banana Courtyard!"

Here are more detailed pictures of our room and other parts of the main B&B. The innkeepers do NOT usually allow children in this building, but they graciously made an exception just this once. Nathalie adored this place!

Banana Courtyard - Madame's Steamboat Room

Banana Courtyard - Madame's Steamboat Room

Banana Courtyard - Bathroom of Madame's Steamboat Room - The deep antique bathtub is absolutely huge, perfect for soaking after a long day of tourist stuff. God, do we miss that tub!

Banana Courtyard - Madame's Steamboat Room - "Got beads?"

1870 Banana Courtyard B&B?

by jessicat1982

I was wondering if anyone has stayed there recently. I'll be traveling to new orleans alone for the first time in july. I've already booked my stay there. I've read quite a few of the reviews but they're all from a couple of years ago. Has anyone stayed there recently? I've read mixed things about the neighbourhood it's in. the website does not give an exact location and I want to be sure that it's in a safe enough area. I'm an urban montrealer so I'm not a stanger to city crime, but I'd love to hear about your experiences anyway. I'll be staying at the main B&B in the carriage/quilt room. besides being 3 blocks from bourbon st. can anyone give me some information about it's location?
thanks a bunch!
Jess

by Nola

It is a very nice BnB. Be street smart as in any major city, stick to the main tourist areas and all would be well. Late at night return by taxi, do not walk alone. If you need more help e-mail me from my VT page.

by Neesie

There's a good reason their street address is not on the website. It is a block or two north of the actual French Quarter. While the distance is not a big deal the actual neighborhood IS. We drove through there on our way to the airport and I distinctly remember seeing that B&B. It is surrounded by pure ghetto.

Personally, I would only go a block north of Burbon (for walking). I would never consider renting on Rampart or north. This B & B is north of Rampart in a VERY SCARY NEIGHBORHOOD. Despite that, their b & b gets good reviews, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

I stayed at the Chateau Hotel and was very happy with their accomodations and especially their location in the south east area of the French Quarter (Chartres & St. Philip). It was recommened to me by another user on this site, Cromett.

by crughy

Hi,

I am going for a week at the end of May too. I already reserved with the Banana Courtyard. I regret it. They are elusive about their addresses and stuff. I will be at the Faubourg Cottage. Don't know where that is! I was told on the phone: North Grand park or Grant park???) I can't find it a street with that name.

Everything I have read is basic service, if any. Different locations all over town. The main ones seems few block away from the French Quarter. The area is a bit dodgy, quite noisy. But if it's not too far, taxi is cheap.

Comments