1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter/New Orleans B&B

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 281 reviews

Tags

Budget Travel Business Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

They will take your money!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 7, 2011

I know there is A LOT to read on this website, which is the trap that I fell into. I didn't read some of it because there is so much. My friend and I wanted to see the city before we embarked on our cruise so I found this site and fell in love with the cottage. I reserved it online, HUGE mistake. My cruise is not until Jan. 2012 so I though lets reserve early. They charged my credit card right away, HALF the room rate as a DEPOSIT. I didn't read it anywhere but like I said a lot on the website to read. I made me negative in my account, so I called and canceled the same day. As soon as I found out they had taken money out of my account. It took two weeks of me calling every other day to get the money back into my account and then I was $50.00 SHORT. So I called again, and here is where the fine print is really fine. That fifty dollars is there CANCELLATION FEE. I didn't even have the room reserved for 24 HOURS. It's gone, so they go my $50 for doing (excuse profanity) ***!!!! NOT EVEN 24 HOURS!!!! They said it was in a policy that is somewhere on the website. If you haven't seen the website, there is a lot on the website. I don't know how the rooms are but I know that the business is not run very well and they are thieves in my opinion. All I have to say is read the fine print and all that is on the website which again is A LOT. Give them your money at your own risk.

Unique Quality: Even after they had taken the money out of my account we were still going to stay there because we had fallen in love. But after the Stealing of my money. No way in the world.

Directions: Don't Go!!

jessicat1982's Profile Photo

Great Place For First Time Travelers

by written on July 11, 2004

the B&B was fantastic and about a ten to fifteen minute walk down esplanade - a very nice *residential* area filled with old town houses typical to the french quarter - to decanteur which is down by the river. it's a *five* minute walk to bourbon. the location is great - I went there alone(I'm a twenty-two year old woman) and I felt perfectly safe walking back to the b&b at 11:30 at night.

as for the interior, it looks *exactly* like the pictures posted on their website. the Hilton it is not, but who wants to stay at a boring, uniform hotel when you're in *New Orleans*, a city know for it's colorful architecture and quirky, unique charm?

Although I barely got to speak to Hugh, Mary was an absolute darling. They say they specialize in first time travellers and they mean it. After greeting me at the door and showing me to my room, she actually *walked* me down to bourbon street, gave me a street map and pointed out some places of interest. They also sent me a *ton* of information before my visit. Now what other bed and breakfast do you know of that will go that far out of their way for guests?

As for the comments that it was dirty, it's a really old house filled with antiques and curios. of course it was a little dusty, but what else do you expect? the room it's self was immaculate (with the exception of my purchased articles strewn all over the extra bed::grin::) and was cleaned every day. I never had to worry about clean towels or missing toilet paper and I was pleasantly suprised at the air conditioning and great water pressure in the bathroom.

if you're looking for a place to stay that offers all the modern amenities you get at a chain hotel with a unique atmosphere and hospitality you'll only find in new orleans, book your stay at the banana courtyard. I promise you won't regret it.

Unique Quality: Mary, the owner. goes above and beyond nominal duties to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. the courtyard is beautiful and you could spend hour upon hour looking at all the different curios collected from various sources. the place is practically a museum:)

Directions: At the edge of the french quarter

The only way to stay in New Orleans

by written on January 20, 2004

We stayed at the main B&B for a convention. Contrary to the negative review, it is neither in a bad neighborhood nor shady- except for the shade provide d by the banana tree and other plants ;).

This was our first trip to New Orleans and I didn't want to stay in a hotel because they're expensive, look the same everywhere, and hey, this city has such charming old houses with a history, what better way to spend your time than in one of those?

The house itself would probably take a few days to explore with all the things Mary and Hugh, the hosts, have collected and put on display. Our room, the Madame's Steamboat Room (the house used to be a brothel) was very cute.

Basically, we felt like we were staying in someone's home (which is actually the case, Mary and Hugh live there as well). The rates are sensible, and you get discounts for longer stays. I say try it, you'll never want to stay in a hotel again!

Unique Quality: Mary and Hugh were nothing but helpful, and their banana tree does produce some delicious fruit. Breakfast is excellent, with different local specialties every day, and a large variety of other things, including organic cereal.

BuickMackane's Profile Photo

Mary & Hugh Ramsey: Hosts with the Most!

by written on August 26, 2002

As New Orleans hotels go, this was a really excellent value. Madame's Steamboat Room was US $135 per night, the nicest room in the house with a private bath. We got a discount when I called back to reserve extra nights. Taxes (12%), lodging surcharges, bus station pick-up, deluxe continental breakfast, and beverages were all included. Return transportation to the airport is an additional US $28 payable to the driver, who is typically a private tour guide employed by the inn instead of a taxi driver. The Creole driver who chauffeured us on both trips, Ferdinand, is extremely knowledgeable and you'll learn a lot from him and his beautiful wife, Noella!

Unique Quality: This B&B's staff specializes in getting first-time visitors to New Orleans fully acquainted and up-to-speed so that they get the maximum enjoyment from their stay. They provide customized itineraries to suit each guest. The house is a former bordello, and the rooms and common areas are beautifully decorated!

We felt confident enough to explore on our own for our second trip, and the innkeepers allowed us to use their own private duplex townhouse directly in the French Quarter. I'll put the photos in a separate travelogue. We absolutely loved the Garconierre!

Directions: The innkeepers insist on keeping their exact address a well-guarded secret. I will tell you, however, that it's at the entrance to the French Quarter, that's all!

Nearby 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter/New Orleans B&B

1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter/New Orleans B&B

• Courtyard New Orleans
  • New Orleans Courtyard
  • 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans Bed And Breakfast
  • 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans Hotel New Orleans

Address: 1422. N. Rampart St., French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States

2 Photos of 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter/New Orleans B&B

New Orleans Travel Forum

Need advice about New Orleans, Louisiana? Visit the Travel Forum for New Orleans and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Orleans hotel reviews

Explore Deeper into New Orleans
Jackson Square
Night Safety.
Warnings and Dangers
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!"
Garden District
Driving
Drinking
French Quarter
Tourist Traps
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
Cat's Meow