Ambassador Hotel New Orleans

Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 20% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Horrible experience

Hotel would not accommodate 85-year old spouse with another room. No grab bars in bathtub nor bathroom; dark dingy area from the elevator to the stairs leading to the room and a very dark dingy hallway without rails to the room. Which was the last room on the floor. When I called the front desk to request a another room, I was told (after a minute on hold) that there was not another room available. I was so livid that she actually thought that I would believe her. So the unintended consequences of the desk clerk -- no tips. I did, however, tip the housekeeper and Emma. Emma kept breakfast moving along even with a bus-load of tourists. She was great. Your front desk staff need to have interpersonal relationship training. I do not remember the desk clerk that check us in (I think the other desk clerk's name was Celeste; she is much more personable), and it was around 4:15 p.m., Sunday, April 15, 2012, but she did have an attitude and certainly needed a happy pill to adjust her mean streak and nasty attitude.

It was also very noisy very early morning.

We feel that we have stayed in better Motel 6 accomodations.

We would not and will not recommend this hotel to anyone and would suggest other accomodations. We have also asked relatives that live in New Orleans not to recommend it to friends and family.

Unique Quality: I don't think that there is an outstanding charasteristics for the Ambassador.

Directions: I think it was the Warehouse District. Close to the WW2 Museum.

• Stuck in elevator and received attitude, not help

1) Here’s the kicker: a colleague of mine got stuck in the elevator for 15 minutes. He rang the alarm button and, although it rang, no one responded. After finally prying himself out he went to the front desk and saw an attendant and a bellhop standing around. He told them what had happened and instead of offering apologies or showing any concern, the two men mouthed off at him.
    2) Upon arrival, there was only one person at the front desk and she was terribly slow. It took about 10 minutes each for me and the people in front of me to check in. When I was finally checked in, the line to check in was eight people deep. Eight people time 10 minutes each – you do the match. I observed this each day I was there.
    3) Upon arrival, my colleague had urine on his toilet seat where it clearly hadn’t been cleaned. Luckily it was his room and not mine; he simply wiped it off and didn’t complain.
    4) The sheets on my bed were not changed or even made after my first night there. I did have a small bag on my bed so that may have been the excuse. My colleague’s bed, however, was also not made and his bed was clear. I called downstairs to ask for it to be changed and was told that there were not cleaning staff available. The manager was also unavailable.
    5) The following night, my sheets were changed, but the new sheets had a large hole in them. There also was a giant ball of dust and hair left in my bathroom, longer than the length of a dollar bill. By this point I knew calling downstairs would be a moot point.
    6) The hotel charges a mandatory $9.99 per night amenity fee for use of the fitness center, safe deposit box, and WiFi. This is not mentioned by Priceline up front, and only in very small print did I learn that Priceline.com requires guests to pay all mandatory “resort fees”. I understand having to pay a resort fee, and have paid many in my life. This dump is not a resort and the mandatory fee is hidden and unethical; if it’s mandatory it should be included in Priceline’s upfront price.
    7) The internet is too slow to stream Netflix, much less accomplish any productive work.
    The following morning, the manager, again, was not available. I called during the day and was transferred to his voicemail because he was not in; the voicemail was full and I was unable to leave a message. Apparently lots of people are calling him with complaints. I checked out the following morning. At check out I again asked to speak to a manager. He was at the property but couldn’t speak with me promptly. I had to catch my flight so left my phone number with the front desk and asked him to call. He never returned my call. It’s a shame because the hotel is in a fantastic location between the French Quarter and the Convention Center and has the potential to be a cute boutique option if it were better managed.

Directions: Convenient location between French Quarter and Convention Center

• New Orleans wait til you die hotel

Had to wait about thirty minutes to check in (only three people before us, but the line refused to move), but no room, therefore had to wait another ten minutes to drop our luggage because the luggage guy was gone. Coming back from the quarter got our keys right away, but waited for ten minutes because the luggage guy was gone again, and the check in person who had nothngto do didn;t think giving access to luggage was her job. Then the keys didn't work and I had to go back to chck-in where there was a line, anyway. Go here at your own risk and with a huge amount of patience. Whomever is managing this place ought to be fired in a hurry.

Directions: warehouse district

• Clean and nice, pretty rooms

The Ambassador Hotel is a small, but very nice and clean hotel. Quiet and clean rooms.
    Only the breakfast is quiet miserly (only coffee and one kind of cake).
    One block away from there is Lucy´s Bar - a very nice place to have breakfast (or brunch on the weekend). The food in this bar is exellent.

The hotel is located near the french quarter (2 blocks to walk only).

• Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

Close to Harrah's and Canal St.

Decent small hotel in the Central Business District. The hotel is about two blocks away from Canal Street, opposite the French Quarter. Harrah's Casino is pretty much across the street and the famed eatery Mother's is a half-block in the other direction. The hotel isn't much to look at, but my room was clean, my shower worked well, and the staff was friendly and efficient.

On the down side, there was a strange telephone fee that was mandatory regardless of whether you made any calls. This could be a New Orleans thing, but I wasn't thrilled with the extra charge. Also, the room key demagnetized every time I put it in my purse, and there was always a line at the desk of guest getting their keys remagnetized before they went back to their rooms.

Directions: Central Business District (Warehouse District) across Canal Street from the French Quarter.

More about Ambassador Hotel New Orleans

You get what you paid for.

This hotel has drastically changed over the past two years. Me and my wife used to stay there often. This used to be a very nice place to stay. However, things have changed. The rooms are in horrible condition, the walls had toliet paper stuck in them, the bathroom had tiles peeling up from the floor, no hot water and no water pressure and the toliet was not secured to the floor. We even had to be moved when we first arrived as the room they gave us had broken blinds and could not be fixed. They moved us to the last mentioned room. My advice to anyone wanting to stay here is quite simply---DON'T.

Stay Away

Come to N'Awlins by all means, but stay away from the Ambassador. We went during the recent Jaxx Qtr Festival. Other than being well-located, the hotel has little else going for it - our promised King Deluxe was replaced with a King at full cost; no hot water for 2 days, very poorly lit, bathroom dirty,e specially mold in shower, ceiling fan half falling off the ceiling; service inattentive and not helpful. I would say, oh well, you get what you pay for, but rooms were not cheap for this soldout weekend, with many better options uptown or in the Qtr

unique botique

by TripAdvisor Member oimtess

Booked through an online service and arrived VERY late; had called ahead to notify front desk that we had been delayed (Natchez dinner cruise had abandoned us and other passengers onshore after a cruise; had to send a car back to get us). When we arrived, we were greeted by name, our room ready, at the rate we expected. Industrial brick walls with exposed pipes and hardwood floors were very loft-New York. TV was large and had great channels. While others have complained about the location, we accept that you will walk a bit during a visit to the French Quarter; we actually found it well located. Within walking distance of everything you want to see, but away from the fray. We laughed at the sounds of the dog in the room next door barking as we passed the room; accepting pets is a nice touch, and as pet owners, it didn't bother us. We did not have the same problems others seemed to have, are did enjoy our stay.

Didn't need the valium...

I took a valium after reading earlier reviews of this hotel, i.e. "the shower was like someone urinating on me" when I had already booked the package -- I even tried to cancel the trip. The hotel turned out to be great -- clean streamlined room with hardwoood floors and exposed brick walls, nice bathroom -- no plumbing problems. I've previously stayed at the Sheraton on Canal, the Fairmont, and the W in the French Quarter (now closed) and the Ambassador is my favorite. Well, that's a lie, I loved that W French Quarter but since that one closed, I'd stay at the Ambassador again -- esp. for $59 and that's even the hotel's website price. There seems to be a big range in room quality so ask for another if you don't like what they give you -- saw one at the end of the hall that looked like it had old, bright green carpet. Also peeked into a gorgeous room with huge windows, two double beds and which was at least 3 times larger than my single king. Don't stay here if you're really dazzled by bright floral wallpaper and matching flower pattern bedspreads, and furniture with "faux" gold trimming a la Louis the XVI -- book a room at the Fairmont, instead. This hotel is the anti "Laura Ashley" aesthetic -- clean neutral lines with an urban feel.

Comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member malyko

I thought that this hotel was comfortable. We stayed here because we were traveling with our dog and they accepted pets and because the hotel was also reasonably priced for being within walking distance of the French Quarter. I liked the rooms with windows much better than the ones without. The ones without felt weird. I thought the staff was very friendly and we liked eating breakfast in the restaurant, it was also reasonably priced. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a hotel that has a decent restaurant, comfortable rooms (the ones with windows), relaxed atmosphere and is reasonably priced. If you want a true 3+ star hotel this is not the one for you

Once is Too Much

If you enjoy fraternity house decor, you'll love the Ambassador. No extra charge for the beat-up furniture, lightless broom closet rooms and paper thin walls. Hotels like the Ambassador don't count on repeat business. There are much better hotel options in New Orleans.

Disappointed.

My husband and I were in New Orleans to get married. The Ambassador had looked charming from photos, but we were honestly quite disappointed.

1 - The room had an extremely musty and moldy smell in it.

2 - There was no television remote control in our room when we arrived and the television did not work without it. I called the front desk and the gentleman told me one would be brought up. 30 minutes later, I finally called again, only to be told that a remote could not be found for us, and the maintenance man was gone for the night. I asked why a remote wasn't available for all rooms and he stated that maintenance would have to deal with it, and they were not in until the next morning. I was told that maintenance would be in at 8:00am the next morning and would bring a remote up to our room immediately. Next morning, nothing. I called the front desk again around 9:00am, to be told "I'll look into it ma'am." No call back again. When we went to leave the hotel at 10:00am, we stopped by the front desk, to be told by a gentleman that maintenance doesn't arrive until later in the day and the night staff should have known this. When we arrived later back that evening, a remote was in our room, thankfully. Still, the staff was not responsive at all to our issues and did not even let us know what was going on without our pestering them.

3 - The restaurant in the hotel was open only one day for a few hours in the morning. Whenever we went back to eat there, we were told it wasn't open (this was at all different hours of the day and evening.) The one meal we had there was excellent and a good price, but it was never open after that.

I was disappointed in the service from the staff especially. I didn't feel that the hotel was near worth what we paid to stay there.

hated it

WE took our kids for a weekend in New Orleans and stayed in this Hotel. I cried when I saw the room.We booked a room with 2 beds, When we get there they had us with 1 bed! (We have 3 kids) well we finally got 2 beds. When we got in the room if you walked to the bathroom the whole floor sunk in. The boards had fell from one of the beds and about 2 in the morning the boards in the bed I was in fell. Well we woke up about 7 and left the room. I would not even rate this hotel a 1.

Need some lodging advice

by linnda

I would like a few lodging recommendations. My son and 6 friends (grad students) are driving down to NOLA next weekend and are looking for a clean but not overly expensive place to stay for the weekend- not far from Bourbon St. They will need rooms with two double beds. Atmosphere is probably not an issue, so a Sheraton, Marriot, etc.. would be ok. They will have cars to park.
Would very much appreciate suggestions.

by loverby

I'm not too familiar with all the hotels in New Orleans. However, I have stayed a couple of times at the Hilton Riverside which is right next to the Riverwalk . The Hilton is approximately a three-and-a-half block walk to Bourbon Street. I'm not sure what the price will actually be, but you might find some specials on Hilton's website. The rooms aren't bad either. Good luck on whatever you decide!

Landon

Re: Re: Need some lodging advice

by BluecatCanoe

Lots of new hotels in NOLa. Some good ones in the Convention Center area. Most all have shuttles to the FQ. I would shop price as the shuttles are easy to use and the ones outside the Quarter are cheaper. The older ones are the best priced. Just do not walk late at night and do not walk alone. Like any big city crime is a problem. Look up the Radisson on Canal for price and the Hampton in the Convention Center area. I like the Warehouse District as they are all new hotels there.

by Jabberjenn

I've stayed at the Royal St. Charles and it is a very reasonably priced hotel for the location. It is one block from Bourbon Street, and in a very safe location. It also has a parking garage. Parking ANYWHERE in New Orleans is very expensive (usually around $20 a night). I am not sure how much they charge at this hotel for parking. The accomodations are clean, and the location was perfect (the Bourbon Street hotels didn't seem as clean and quiet).

Also, rooms in N.O. sell out quickly, especially on weekends....so book as soon as you can. I used Expedia.com to book the room at the Royal St. Charles. I've also had friends stay at the Baronne Plaza New Orleans, which is a very cheap hotel (for New Orleans), but it is about a half mile walk to Bourbon Street. The Ambassador Hotel New Orleans also usually has cheaper room rates, and is located right near Harrah's Casino. The city is very safe, and there are always lots of people walking around. I hope this info helps!

by cromette

I do not see how you can beat Chateau Hotel on Chartres for an inexpensive, clean place to stay close to Bourbon St. (but not too close). This would be my first choice, and the most expensive of my choices. We also stayed at the Ramada (Inn on Bourbon) not too long ago, and got a great deal ($99/night on Bourbon St.!!) Another possibility is St. Peter's Guest House on St. Peter.

They'll have a good time. Tell them to check out some guest houses that have off-street parking for a more "French Quarter" feel to their stay.

Comments