Ambassador Hotel New Orleans

Museum Visits Arts and Culture Women's Travel
See Amenities

Horrible experience

by written on April 23, 2012

Hotel would not accommodate 85-year old spouse with another room. No grab bars in bathtub nor bathroom; dark dingy area from the elevator to the stairs leading to the room and a very dark dingy hallway without rails to the room. Which was the last room on the floor. When I called the front desk to request a another room, I was told (after a minute on hold) that there was not another room available. I was so livid that she actually thought that I would believe her. So the unintended consequences of the desk clerk -- no tips. I did, however, tip the housekeeper and Emma. Emma kept breakfast moving along even with a bus-load of tourists. She was great. Your front desk staff need to have interpersonal relationship training. I do not remember the desk clerk that check us in (I think the other desk clerk's name was Celeste; she is much more personable), and it was around 4:15 p.m., Sunday, April 15, 2012, but she did have an attitude and certainly needed a happy pill to adjust her mean streak and nasty attitude.

It was also very noisy very early morning.

We feel that we have stayed in better Motel 6 accomodations.

We would not and will not recommend this hotel to anyone and would suggest other accomodations. We have also asked relatives that live in New Orleans not to recommend it to friends and family.

Unique Quality: I don't think that there is an outstanding charasteristics for the Ambassador.

Directions: I think it was the Warehouse District. Close to the WW2 Museum.

Stuck in elevator and received attitude, not help

by written on February 9, 2012

1) Here’s the kicker: a colleague of mine got stuck in the elevator for 15 minutes. He rang the alarm button and, although it rang, no one responded. After finally prying himself out he went to the front desk and saw an attendant and a bellhop standing around. He told them what had happened and instead of offering apologies or showing any concern, the two men mouthed off at him.
2) Upon arrival, there was only one person at the front desk and she was terribly slow. It took about 10 minutes each for me and the people in front of me to check in. When I was finally checked in, the line to check in was eight people deep. Eight people time 10 minutes each – you do the match. I observed this each day I was there.
3) Upon arrival, my colleague had urine on his toilet seat where it clearly hadn’t been cleaned. Luckily it was his room and not mine; he simply wiped it off and didn’t complain.
4) The sheets on my bed were not changed or even made after my first night there. I did have a small bag on my bed so that may have been the excuse. My colleague’s bed, however, was also not made and his bed was clear. I called downstairs to ask for it to be changed and was told that there were not cleaning staff available. The manager was also unavailable.
5) The following night, my sheets were changed, but the new sheets had a large hole in them. There also was a giant ball of dust and hair left in my bathroom, longer than the length of a dollar bill. By this point I knew calling downstairs would be a moot point.
6) The hotel charges a mandatory $9.99 per night amenity fee for use of the fitness center, safe deposit box, and WiFi. This is not mentioned by Priceline up front, and only in very small print did I learn that Priceline.com requires guests to pay all mandatory “resort fees”. I understand having to pay a resort fee, and have paid many in my life. This dump is not a resort and the mandatory fee is hidden and unethical; if it’s mandatory it should be included in Priceline’s upfront price.
7) The internet is too slow to stream Netflix, much less accomplish any productive work.
The following morning, the manager, again, was not available. I called during the day and was transferred to his voicemail because he was not in; the voicemail was full and I was unable to leave a message. Apparently lots of people are calling him with complaints. I checked out the following morning. At check out I again asked to speak to a manager. He was at the property but couldn’t speak with me promptly. I had to catch my flight so left my phone number with the front desk and asked him to call. He never returned my call. It’s a shame because the hotel is in a fantastic location between the French Quarter and the Convention Center and has the potential to be a cute boutique option if it were better managed.

Directions: Convenient location between French Quarter and Convention Center

New Orleans wait til you die hotel

by written on January 1, 2012

Had to wait about thirty minutes to check in (only three people before us, but the line refused to move), but no room, therefore had to wait another ten minutes to drop our luggage because the luggage guy was gone. Coming back from the quarter got our keys right away, but waited for ten minutes because the luggage guy was gone again, and the check in person who had nothngto do didn;t think giving access to luggage was her job. Then the keys didn't work and I had to go back to chck-in where there was a line, anyway. Go here at your own risk and with a huge amount of patience. Whomever is managing this place ought to be fired in a hurry.

Directions: warehouse district

Clean and nice, pretty rooms

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 21, 2009

The Ambassador Hotel is a small, but very nice and clean hotel. Quiet and clean rooms.
Only the breakfast is quiet miserly (only coffee and one kind of cake).
One block away from there is Lucy´s Bar - a very nice place to have breakfast (or brunch on the weekend). The food in this bar is exellent.

The hotel is located near the french quarter (2 blocks to walk only).

Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

Close to Harrah's and Canal St.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 29, 2006

Decent small hotel in the Central Business District. The hotel is about two blocks away from Canal Street, opposite the French Quarter. Harrah's Casino is pretty much across the street and the famed eatery Mother's is a half-block in the other direction. The hotel isn't much to look at, but my room was clean, my shower worked well, and the staff was friendly and efficient.

On the down side, there was a strange telephone fee that was mandatory regardless of whether you made any calls. This could be a New Orleans thing, but I wasn't thrilled with the extra charge. Also, the room key demagnetized every time I put it in my purse, and there was always a line at the desk of guest getting their keys remagnetized before they went back to their rooms.

Directions: Central Business District (Warehouse District) across Canal Street from the French Quarter.

Nearby Ambassador Hotel New Orleans

• Suites
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

New Orleans Travel Forum

Need advice about New Orleans, Louisiana? Visit the Travel Forum for New Orleans and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Orleans hotel reviews

Avoiding Tourist Hazards
St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
Night Safety.
Warnings and Dangers
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!"
Garden District
Mardi Gras
Local Customs
Cat's Meow
Nightlife
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
Preservation Hall