Astor Crowne Plaza - French Quarter New Orleans

Tags

School Holidays
See Amenities
Why-dont-you-listen's Profile Photo

Horrible service; billed for parking with no car!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 7, 2012

This hotel charged me $94 for parking even though I had no car. When I checked out, the attendant at the front desk supposedly fixed the issue, but they still billed my credit card later that week after I left. They clearly assigned the charge from someone else's room to mine. The attendant at the front desk even admitted that they could not read the signature on the parking permit and just randomly assigned it to my room since there wasn't a parking charge on my room. They refuse to consider the issue and after 2 months of dealing with their accounting office and my credit card company, the issue is still unresolved. Their customer service is horrific. The front desk says the issue is accounting's problem and accounting dept says the issue is the front desk's problem. I have spoken to 3 managers already. Do not use this hotel. They lack the customer service and hospitality to be in the hospitality business.

Unique Quality: Horrible customer service. Slow response to issues. False charges on credit card. Staff just shifts the blame back and forth rather than dealing with the issue.

HORRIFIED!!!!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2010

I came down from Lafayette to spend time with fellow friends whom flew down from Cleveland to watch the Browns play the Saints. A room was reserved at this "Lavish" establishment. On arrive everything seemed up to pare. But what happened on our arrival back to the hotel late that same night was APPALLING to say the least. First let me start out by saying... I myself am a 32yr old Dental Hygienist. My friend whom walked in the facility with me is a 32yr old Highschool Principal. We walked past the front desk were we were approached by the "Hotel Manager" JAMES ALLEN. Than he proceeded to tell my male friend to get rid of me or he couldnt go up to the room. Confused we said WHAT.. Mr. Allen replies LOUDLY we dont allow people like her in this hotel. HUH!!!! I hear a woman behind me say, "She must be a street walker". Blown away I look Mr. Allen directly in the eye and said,"I AM NOT a hooker"!!! My male friend politely said, "Sir shes a dental hygienist and I'm a high school principal". Mr. Allen proceeds to giggle in my face and roll his eyes. After giving us a pop quiz on how we knew each other, asking him what my full name was, GRILLING us under a spot light and bringing me almost to tears in front of a lobby full of waiting party's he finally said just go and smiles. I asked him for his name and the name of his boss. He replied with just GO.

HORRIFIED, UPSET, EMBARRASSED doesn't even do justice on how that made me feel inside. I will NEVER or EVER recommend this hotel in the FRENCH QUARTER to anyone one I love, care about, not even a perfect stranger.

I have still yet to receive a phone call or an apology from upper management.

Overbooking

by written on April 12, 2005

Our reservations were for a nonsmoking room with 2 beds. The hotel had overbooked and didn't have any N/S rooms of this type left. To compensate us "we were given" an upgraded to a suite. We went to this "suite" to find it on a smoking floor with a room smaller than any room I have ever stayed in. The bed was a sofa sleeper. Needless to say we went right back down to the front desk to get a new room. We waited at least a half an hour before the desk clerk returned to give us a different room. It was a much better room than the first room, but it faced the corner of Bourbon and Canal. It was on the 2nd floor, so street noise was VERY VERY BAD!! One night a street musican played outside until 3:30 AM. The hotel's solution for this was to give us earplugs.

Directions: French Quarter

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Sister to Alexa

by written on December 16, 2004

I have not stayed in this hotel. I took a photo of it because it was across Canal Street from the streetcar stop. It is in a good location, but so is the Alexa next door, and apparently the folks staying at the Alexa can use the facilities here.

Unique Quality: While the Alexa is a small scale hotel with three AAA approval diamonds, this hotel is a large scale hotel with Four AAA approval diamonds.

Directions: Corner of Bourbon and Canal

Astor Crowne Plaza

by written on May 6, 2004

During our April 2004 visit to New Orleans we stayed at the Astor. At risk of making myself sound like a princess I have to honestly say that though the hotel is nice, it does not live up to its self-advertised luxury standards. In fact, I found it to be little more than a glorified Holiday Inn. The lobby was very nice when we arrived, but on check in they gave us the wrong room (a king when we needed 2 queens) and though they fixed the problem quickly they were rude about apologizing and did not offer to send someone to help us move all of our stuff.

Also, our room was not very clean. Everything in it was covered with dust and I swear there was a spot of human blood inside the shower when we arrived which did not get removed for our entire stay. The house keeper also kept removing my bottle of conditioner from the shower and disposing of it--personal ones that I had purchased because the hotel also did not provide it.

The breakfast buffet was very expensive ($20/person) and did not provide much variety. When we asked to have them make pancakes for our 5 year old, a picky eater, we were told that they were too busy.

Unique Quality: In spite of the drawbacks the Astor does have a roof top pool and a pretty nice exercise room, both of which we used during our stay. It is also in a good location, on the corner of Bourbon and Canal allowing easy access to the French Quarter and the downtown.

The lobby bar was also relaxing. The bartender there made some of the best hurricane cocktails I have ever had.

Directions: Corner of Bourbon and Canal

sahel578's Profile Photo

Overpriced Parking, Noisy and Dirty Rooms

by written on January 6, 2004

First of all, travelocity decided to screw me on the fee's for this hotel. It would have been cheaper to reserve it through the hotels site afterall.. but that is another story. The hotel is in a decent location and the rooms are large. The staff is nice but not especially helpful. The conceierge (sp?) is USELESS! I called a month in advance for help finding restaurants open on Christmas day.. ending up talking to 2 different people and NOTHING was done.
Then we check in.. pay a $20 + tax car fee.. and they park the car 6 blocks away.. it would have been closer and cheaper to park at the public lot a block away.. and not constantly get hit up for tips from the valet.
The room is very noisy. I know that the French Quarter is not quiet, but on the 12th floor on Christmas Eve.. and I can still hear distinct conversations from the street below? Not impressive..
Also.. the unflushed toilet and the chunks of hair splattered on the shower wall on arrival was also a nice touch.

Unique Quality: This place seemed unfinished or something. It wasn't very well decorated, it looked like it had been put together in a hurry.

Directions: French Quarter

marciaca's Profile Photo

The Place to stay

by written on March 18, 2003

A really nice hotel (it's expensive, I would hope so) but if you are having fun at Mardi Gras, you don't want to worry about having to drive back to your hotel. You don't want to worry about finding a cab who'll rip you off. Just walk (stumble) back.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Right in the thick of everything. A one minute walk to Bourbon Street. A 5 minute walk to Harrahs.

Directions: You know where Bourbon Street is? Do you know where Canal street is? Ok, the hotel is where they intersect.

Nearby Astor Crowne Plaza - French Quarter New Orleans

Astor Crowne Plaza - French Quarter New Orleans

• Astor Crowne Plaza
  • Crowne Plaza New Orleans

Address: 739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States

2 Photos of Astor Crowne Plaza - French Quarter New Orleans

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New Orleans Travel Forum

Need advice about New Orleans, Louisiana? Visit the Travel Forum for New Orleans and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Orleans hotel reviews

St. Louis Cemetery
Mardi Gras
Garden District
Things to Do
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!"
Night Safety.
French Quarter
Drinking
St. Charles Line
Transportation
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
Cat's Meow