CLOSED - The Canal Street Hotel New Orleans French Quarter

#234 of 331 hotels in New Orleans
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 5 reviews

Canal St. Hotel= not for tourists

by written on December 15, 2010

hahahaha I can't believe any of you assholes came to New Orleans on vacation and stayed at this place. I guess you got a good feel for the city though. Anyone from New Orleans knows that this place is not for tourists, its not even a hotel, its a drug/ prostitution den . It might be only 1/2 a mile from Bourbon street, but it is literally accross the street from the Iberville Projects. Its used by the neighborhood's dope dealers and pimps and junkies to do business and get high. These people dont need keys to use the rooms because if the door is locked they just kick it down. No exageration, this is might be the most dangerous place to be in America. Earlier this year, sometime around September, a Judge ordered this place to be shutdown indefinitely due to the fact that there had been 17 deaths on the premises of this hotel since the start of 2010.

Besides that, it is a really nice place to stay.

Unique Quality: murdered people is probly the most unique charectistic of this hotel. In fact, ive never been to another hotel that had as much murdered people as the Canal Street Hotel! Made an otherwise normal hotel very funnn!!!

Directions: Iberville Projects

DON'T STAY HERE!!!

by written on January 25, 2008

The hotel was horrible. The lobby is amazing, but once you get past that it is nasty and it smells. We requested two double beds and was put in a room with one. Several other people were having this problem at the time we were checking in. They double charged me. I paid cash the night we checked in and my credit card was billed TWO DAYS after we checked out. Sounds like they have an employee that likes to steal. Every time I call to ask them about it, no one seems to be able to help me. A manager's manager was suppose to call me yesturday and I haven't heard from anyone. I have also sent TWO e-mails and neither have been responded to. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. It has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It is now called just Canal Street Hotel. Please for your own good, DON'T STAY HERE!!!!

Unique Quality: No pool, no view, slow plumbing. They say it has been very recently rennovated. I wouldn't have paid for those rennovations. I will be honest the lobby is outstanding.

Directions: It is about five blocks to bourbon street.

gaolei's Profile Photo

Avoid this hotel

by written on July 7, 2006

This hotel cannot meet the quality standards of the Days Inn hotel chain. It is dirty, broken down and maybe, dangerous.

The hoom I got was designated no smoking but it smelled of smoke.
The bathroom window was broken and covered with a thin sheet of plastic, This let the highway noise into the room.
The cold water knob did not work in the shower.
The elevator was a wreck and I has not been inspected.
The neighborhood is a lot rougher looking than last time I was here. I was afraid to walk back to the hotel at night.

Unique Quality: This place is a wreck! It should not be open!

Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Uhm...it's close to the french quarter?

by written on March 27, 2005

Well, when your first view of this hotel comes around you say to yourself...ok, looks normal. When you check in, assuming there's no customer flipping out at the check in clerks, it looks clean enough. Once you have checked in and they have your cash...blamo, the place shifts into a dimension of filth and crappiness.

This hotel is in a total state of disrepaire. The interior looks like it's going to fall apart, the elevators are totally dirty, and the rooms are in equal state of disrepair. There was a pool somewhere which I didn't see, but I assume it was too in a state of crap. But hell, even if the pool was amazing this place would still suck immensly.

If you need to say some bucks, and be close to the quartier, then this is still not an ideal choice as cleaner, cheaper and closer hotels can be had.

Parking is 15 bucks extra per night as well. Cash grab.

You can walk to the quartier from here, but you may not want to late at night as this area is kinda dodgy. I would cab it there.

Unique Quality: It's relatively easy to get to by car. Just get off the I-10 at the Superdome exit and make your way to canal street.

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Next to I-10

by written on December 23, 2004

I have not stayed at this hotel

Although it IS on Canal Street, and therefore accessible to the Canal Street streetcar which runs 24 hours a day, it is also right next to the I-10 freeway, so it is not near the French Quarter or downtown at all. I would not want to walk from here to anywhere.

It is definately a budget hotel which some people hate, and some people are just happy that it is a budget hotel.

Unique Quality: On-site parking $14 per day plus tax and their website says: "the hotel offers a full service restaurant and bar, swimming pool, secure parking garage, and all rooms come complete with premium cable and hair dryers".

Directions: From the airport: Take I-10 East to Exit 235A. Claiborne East Exit. Exit on Claiborne Ave. to 4th traffic light, hotel on right.

2 Photos of CLOSED - The Canal Street Hotel New Orleans French Quarter

New Orleans Travel Forum

Need advice about New Orleans, Louisiana? Visit the Travel Forum for New Orleans and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Orleans hotel reviews

Explore Deeper into New Orleans
Jackson Square
Night Safety.
Warnings and Dangers
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!"
Avoiding Tourist Hazards
St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
Cemeteries
Driving
Warnings and Dangers
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
French Quarter