Clarion Grand Boutique Hotel New Orleans

Pat O’Brien pubPat O’Brien pub

entrance of Coop’s Placeentrance of Coop’s Place

transfers

by Cbenitez

I am a female traveling alone. I plan to take the bus from the N.O. Airport to the French Quarter area. Do I have to transfer to another bus?

by mccalpin

If you are talking about the city bus (E-2 - see http://jeffersontransit.org/schedules/E2Airport-Map.htm), the bus terminates its route in downtown at Poydras and Loyola. To get to the edge of the Quarter (Bourbon at Canal), you'd have to walk 4 blocks over and 4 blocks down...of course, the blocks here are not very big.

If you are a savvy woman who is not over-encumbered with luggage, this is an easy walk in the day time...and the early evening isn't that bad - it depends on what you're used to. But it depends also on where your destination is - is it in the Quarter, and if so, where?

Bill

by Cbenitez

Yes, I'm refering to the E-2. I 'd say I am savvy but I will have a small carry on bag and am afraid I'll stick out like a sore thumb. I usually travel this way in big cities.

by mccalpin

We were at the Marriott Courtyard or whatever it is around the corner from the National WWII Museum, just 4 blocks south and 6 blocks east of the E-2 bus stop, in the direction away from the Quarter. This is the warehouse district being upgraded by investment spurred by the presence of the Convention Center and the museums in the area. So, while you will be noticed as a visitor where you will be, there are visitors all over the place, from the Convention Center to the Robert E. Lee Monument through the downtown area (between the warehouse district and the Quarter) and into the Quarter as we all know and love it. During the day, I don't think anyone will raise an eyebrow, what for all the other tourists, backpackers, and locals milling about...some streets will be deserted at night, but that's true even in the Quarter...

Bill

by Odinnthor

Bill is absolutely right. Don't have a clue about the bus, but the walk to the Quarter should be just as he explained it. No worries about "sticking out like a sore thumb". You will have lots of company.

Here's something to get you in the local frame of mind, - and if you don't like what the doctor say, - Jacomo fine an dey.....d:o)

Travel Tips for New Orleans

determined to have a better visit

by richiecdisc

One of the great things about New Orleans is you can escape the crowds and there are plenty of quiet streets, even right in the French Quarter. You can wander around for hours snapping photos and that doesn't cost anything. New Orleans might be called the Big Easy but arriving there never seems to be. Parking even under the best of circumstances is generally expensive and daunting. We didn't have much of a plan, this was just a brief stop on the way out west. That said, we had high hopes. This was high on the wife's must see US cities and generally speaking most Europeans are drawn to it. I had been here 15 years earlier on the tail end of a similar trip and had gotten a nasty case of food poisoning which just about ruined my stay. I was determined to enjoy it this time around even if for only a day or two.

I'd camped my first time in the city and it was not the best of experiences considering I was showing all the symptoms of food poisoning to their fullest-not a good thing when sharing a bathroom and sleeping in a tent. I had found a nicer place to pitch the tent this time around but at the last minute we'd changed our minds. I guess bad memories die hard! We had spent the previous night in Slidell, a town about 45 minutes west of New Orleans and rather than spend our first day in town looking for another room we opted for commuting back and forth. The room was nice and much cheaper than anything we'd find in New Orleans proper. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Old and New go together

by Helga67

What was so fascinating about the city, was the contrast between old and new New Orleans next to one another. Being in the French Quarter and facing the Business District, you'll have this special view of old buildings in front of modern buildings in the Business District. Take a horse and buggy or walk, New Orleans is a beautiful city. It's best seen at a slow pace so no detail is missed.

Old French Quarter

by Nola

Everyone most see the French Quarter but I like most just sitting at a cafe watching people go by. The area is New Orleans most favorite tourist spot, full of food, fun, and things to do. Everything about New Orleans is a fond memory. Having coffee at Cafe Du Mond must be everyones best memory.

Jazz is Religion

by msbrandysue

I love a town that revolves around music. I mean, it's inspiring, really. If you don't like jazz I would keep that between you and yourself. If you come here and start complaining be prepared to get the hell out of town. Appreciate it for what it is...smart music. And the players are modest gods...even if they are dirt poor. People line up for hours on dirty roads with people begging for money in all types of weather for just an hour of this sweet sound.

Open your ears and enjoy. You'll be tapping your foot in no time! Nothing will beat the way I felt sitting on that flat bench in Preservation Hall while my ear drums danced along to the beat.

La Plaza de España

by emilienoelle

La Plaza de España was given as a gift by the government of Spain to the city of New Orleans as a gesture of goodwill and as a reminder of their common heritage. It is easy to forget that New Orleans was in fact part of Spain for 40 years because it's heritage is overtly French.

La Plaza is a nice place to sit and rest after walking around. It has a beautiful fountain which is surrounded by several tiled crests of Spanish origin. It is also right on the river, which makes it nice, too.

La Plaza is also commonly seen in many movies and television shows that are filmed in New Orleans because it is such a nice spot.

Located between Riverwalk Mall and the Aqarium on the riverfront.

Comments