3811 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70115, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

• cmarsek's Profile Photo

Experience New Orleans!

The Columns Hotel is a very old New Orleans home that was converted into a hotel. The rooms have character, and if you are visiting New Orleans I don't think there is any better place to stay! Why go to N.O. and stay in a Holiday Inn when you can stay in a very unique hotel such as The Columns!? The location is perfect! You are located right on St. Charles Avenue with a trolley stop right in front of the hotel. The trolley was about a 15-20 minute ride to the historic and bourbon street centers. It is also located in the Garden District with some wonderful parks and streets to stroll in the area.

I was in New Orleans for my brother's college graduation so I stayed at the hotel with my parents and they paid for the room. I do not know how much it cost, but I do know that my parents would not have spent more than they needed to and my mom loves to find a good deal.

Unique Quality: We did not have a television in the room, but in New Orleans who needs one!? My facorite aspect of the hotel was the large covered balcony overlooking St. Charles Avenue. What better way to start or end the day than by relaxing on the balcony watching the city wake up or fall asleep.

A brief warning though, don't expect great luxury with the bathrooms. They are the same original styled bathrooms...but they add to the wonderful experience!

• Epitome of the city

The Columns is the Old South at it's best. Located in the heart of the Garden District (Uptown) it is just a few steps from the famed trolley line which can take you further uptown or into the heart of the CBD and the French Quarter. Rooms are spacious and accommodating. My favorite thing to do at the Columns is afternoon drinks on the veranda
    and watch the world go by.

Directions: St. Charles Street , center of Garden District

• travelingbunny's Profile Photo

Great spot for cocktails

Have not stayed here but a GREAT place to have a pre-dinner drink. Plantation style mansion (complete with colums) located on St. Charles Ave-right in front of a street car stop. The inside is elegantly shabby and they have wonderful outdoor tables on the front veranda, as well as the side garden. This is a popular spot with locals.

More about Columns Hotel

Many Happy Returns

by lcostello

"Repeat visitor"

I ask myself, Why do I keep going back? I have seen all of the sights, heard the musicians, walked every street, tasted the local fare, and drank the signature beverages. When I travel I enjoy the new experiences, then move on to the next. But, there is something so captivating about New Orleans that a future return is always planned.

"Chance re-encounter"

My first visit here was about 30 some years ago when I was 20. I was with my Mom for a few days stop on our way to Galveston TX. I just remember walking down Bourbon St to the blarring jazz sounds, eating at Court of Two Sisters, and the sidewalk artists. It was simply a fond memory, tucked away.
My daughter, Erin, happened to visit here during a high school class project. She applied to Loyola for college. We took a trip to visit the school and it was love at second sight. She started attending Aug 2003, bringing a Michigan perspective to campus. That was the beginning of my repeated journeys. I would go there every few months. I stayed in different hotels in order to satisfy my adventure. Each time I would find something new. We happened upon La Madeleine's for the cream of Potato soup, Petunia's for a huge breakfast, Napolean's for a Muffuletta. Some did not pan out well for our tastes, such as Embers and Clover Grill. We never ran out of something to discover. And, I still had to get my Beignets every time.

"Uptown"

Since Erin lived uptown, because of school, she introduced me to thrills of Magazine Street and the Garden District. I loved antique shopping and I don't even collect antiques. I bought a scrolled iron piece that I hang over the fireplace. I did start collecting anything Fleur de lis. There is a store on Magazine called Mignon Faget that sells beautiful items. The unique houses on St Charles in the Garden District still amaze me. The Columns Hotel is popular with the upper classmen crowd during the happy hour specials. It is wonderful sitting outside, enjoying the beauty, with a 3 piece combo to tap your feet to. Cooling off with a beverage makes it complete.

"Shotgun"

The "shotgun" style houses are very prevalent here. It is an inexpensive design to fit narrow New Orleans lots. There are about 5 rooms in a row, with no hallway. To reach the kitchen from the living area, you have to walk through two bedrooms. Or, you could go around outside to get into the kitchen through the back door. The term is believed to originate from the idea of firing a shotgun from the front door to exit through the back door. However, the room openings do not always line up. It is a very distinctive design that provides such character here.

"Back to the French Quarter"

The French Quarter always called me back. Nothing beats an afternoon outside at Pat O'Brien's courtyard. One Hurricane drink and one fun crowd equals a double great time. At night the fun goes inside for the piano bar. There is a carrousel bar, that rotates slowly around, inside the opulent Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street. It is a very entertaining way to spend an evening, and great people watching.

"Don't miss the boat"

The Port of Call is a must if you like huge burgers, baked potato and don't mind waiting to get in. There is always a wait here, but that is part of the social atmosphere with fellow waitees. This is not fine quisine, just a fun experience. The bacon topping on the potato are the bacon flavored bits. You can take the souvenir plastic cup with you. It is just a great time

"Katrina"

Erin evacuated for Katrina and returned at the end of December to resume college. We visited at the beginning of December to find her a place to live. It was chilly and that was the only time I have eaten Beignets inside at Cafe Du Monde. Our beloved city was in ruins as seen through the media. It was a horrible sight to see first hand. She ended up having to live in a dorm until she found a place in April. I visited very frequently after the storm. Many of the hotel services were not available but, that did not matter. The sidewalks were only sparsely filled with transient workers. And, the streets were covered in pick up trucks. By spring there were tons of groups coming in to volunteer. I would see them at Cafe Du Monde and it was touching.

"I am hooked"

Erin graduated in May 2007. She left that summer for her job in Charlotte NC. I told her, you can take the girl out of New Orleans, but you can't take New Orleans out of the girl. She has a few friends that stayed to work. Now, I am an annual visitor there. The St Patrick's Day parade, held the Saturday before St Patrick's Day, has been my big event every year. It is such a good time. I figured that I have made about twenty trips here since 2002 when Erin checked out the University. Nothing really changes here. Everything stays the same to celebrate differences. It is such a unique environment that evokes a sense of freedom to enjoy life. Sitting in a beautiful courtyard provides energy to my soul. A Beignet at Cafe Du Monde is just a fried doughnut. But, the taste is a party in my mouth by the sights and sounds that only New Orleans can provide. I am counting down to my next visit in March, wondering if I can possibly sqeeze in a trip before that.

The Columns HotelThe Columns Hotel

where to wed in new orleans??

by morgan1

We fell in love with NO on our first trip and decided to return Sept 2005 to get married.We just can't decide where. We're going to have between 20-30 guests.
We don't want to end up having something we could get back in the Uk, a bog standard hotel wedding is not for us!!
Does any one out there have any ideas???

by Rixie

How about a wedding aboard a Mississippi riverboat? The Steamboat Natchez is available for rental -- very Southern. There's a photo of the Natchez on my New Orleans travelogue:

Other creative wedding ideas, e.g. St. Charles streetcar, the Cajun Swamp exhibit at the Audubon Zoo, Old Spanish Fort Gardens, antebellum mansion, can be found on this website:

by Robachu1

by wing3

And then there are several locations in City Park including the Botanical Garden.

Oh, I've got it...rent a street car. It should be about the right size! I think the St Charles line would be the best.

by Familyroadtrip

If your willing to travel a little outside the city. Oak Alley Plantation is a romantic southern,setting with the 2 rows of very old oak trees framing the house that form an alley for about 1/4 of a mile from the river. Your ceremony is performed under the tree's canopy in front of the "Big House". The reception is held in the House and Grounds,catered with authentic creole dishes(delicious!). They have wedding coordinators to take care of all the details and you could even hire a bus for transportation of guest if you plan on staying in New Orleans. There is also cottages on grounds to stay in. Take a second to check out their website. I think this is exactly what your looking for!

www.oakalleyplantation.com

by rlegeai

The Columns Hotel on St. Charles Ave. in the Garden District is good for small weddings and wedding receptions, and the hotel itself is quite interesting.

Re: Re: where to wed in new orleans??

by moirholj

If you want something original I've got just the thing.
Check out my first tip in the "Off the Beaten Path" section of my New Orleans pages.

It tells the story of the wedding I had in New Orleans, and gives the name of the company who does these creative and original weddings.

The link to this section of my New Orleans pages is:

The direct link to Weddings A GoGo is:
www.weddingsagogo.com

check this out - you won't regret it! They provided a very favorite memory for my husband and I. Although I did something unique for my husband, you can create what ever you want with this team and they will do it up right just for you.

Best of luck!!