415 Dauphine St., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• All Around Awesome Hotel

My Husband and I came down for one night for a concert. I used Virtual Tourist and caught a special and we were able to book the Hermann House suite for $39! We arrived to our room to a full living area, wet bar and separate bedroom with a huge balcony area with separate doors to enter in each room of our suite. The room was very comfy and bed was amazing. Very quiet courtyard and lots of privacy. Room did have a old smell to it, but nothing out of the ordinary since we were in NO.
    Sarah who bartended at May Baileys had wonderful personality and was very helpful and gave us some restaurant suggestions locally and she made drinks perfectly!
    We were within walking distance of everything and it was close to Bourbon without being too loud. However, we had some knocking on our door around 5 am which went on even to our neighbors rooms. But as the hotel legend is, there's several permanent spiritual residents that like to do that sort of thing! Just added to our excitement! I've stayed in 3 other French quarter hotels and this is by far my favorite!

Unique Quality: Great location, jacuzzi tub, and easy friendly staff services.

Directions: French Quarter

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Great location

The hotel was a block from Bourbon Street, two from the street cars on Canal and basically walking distance to many sights. Our room was comfortable and quiet; marble bathroom was adequate. Marcos was very helpful and accommodating. We found the breakfasts to be uninspiring; Cosco mini muffins & make your own waffles were disappointing in such a foodie locations.

Unique Quality: Location

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Prime location, affordable price

A mid-size hotel at the heart of the French Quarter, just one block from bustling Bourbon Street. Dauphine hotel also has and easy access to Canal Street. Despite its central location, the hotel offers an unbelievably tranquil atmosphere, with a small pool and private patio. The room itself is a blend between 'old' (in a good, classic way) and new (e.g. flat-screen TV)...basic but clean and cozy. All the people there are nice and helpful. ((Special tip: Book with the hotel directly to get a better price.))

Unique Quality: Comparing to other hotels in the area, this one is the most affordable. High quality service at 2-star price.

Directions: Bourbon and Conti St., French Quarter

• Only if you are looking for a good location

I booked my parents here, and they were satisfied with this hotel. The lobby is small, and parking lot, also cramped, but really for the location, it wasn't surprising. They were charging about $160/night for 2 adults and my parents stayed the weekend. It is definitely not as comfortable as a Hilton or Marriott, but it does have some sort of New Orleans charm.

My parents had a balcony, overlooking the parking lot, but still, the architecture was cute. The location is perfect if you are looking to party on Bourbon which is one street over. Dauphine is a nice street, however tourists don't realize that the other way is the Housing Projects of NOLA. Bad news!

So we found the reason that the room rates were cheaper was that they were doing construction and renovation. But before I booked, I was looking at their pictures on their website. Which, to say the least, are misleading. It is more generic than what the hotel claims, as a hotel with history related to Audobon. But, the location, once again, is very convenient~

The lady was nice in the lobby, but the elevators are small and old! They probably can fit about 4 people comfortably, but once again, part of that New Orlean's charm. I would recommend this hotel, more like inn, to someone that is looking to go down and party up on Bourbon. Although surprisingly quiet for where it is, there are drunks that wander into the area and a taxis get pretty annoying. All in all, not a spectacular hotel, I think next time I am going to try to reserve at the Hilton, which is really not that much more!

Unique Quality: Great location right next to Bourbon St. so close to parties, strip clubs, restuarants....

Directions: French Quarter

• Smarr's Profile Photo

The place to stay

111 room French Quarter hotel embodies the essence of Old New Orleans. Listen closely and you can hear the mesmerizing sounds of jazz carried by breezes from the Mississippi River through your open windows. The 14 rooms of the Dauphine Patio occupy the home of an early 19th century merchant who directed that the structure be built of nothing but the best country bricks and cypress. Jacuzzis are featured in some of the suites. In every room, you will find a hair dryer, bathrobes, goosedown pillows, body pillows, irons and ironing boards, a valuables vault, and a self-serve minibar. When you return to your room each evening, you will be delighted to find that your bed has been turned down and a treat left on your pillow.

Unique Quality: The past blends seamlessly into the present in the Dauphine Orleans Hotel, which boasts a history almost as old and rich as the Crescent City itself. Records of the Dauphine Orleans' site date from 1775, and several of the original structures have survived the test of time. One of the most notable jewels is what is now known as the Audubon Cottage where, from 1821-22, John James Audubon painted his famous "Birds of America" series. The restored cottage now serves as the hotel's main meeting room.

Directions: heart of the French Quarter, just one block from the bustle of Bourbon St. and two blocks from the antique stores and art galleries of Royal St.

More about Dauphine Orleans Hotel

Staying in the French Quarter

by jadedmuse

Hotels that are in the French Quarter (where you want to be if you're looking for
round-the-clock action) and which have a very French Quarter feel to them in
terms of design and architecture - AND which are reasonably priced, are:

> St. Ann Marie Antoinette Hotel(on Conti St)
> Andrew Jackson Hotel (Royal St.)
> Hotel St. Marie (Toulouse St.)
> Dauphine Orleans Hotel (Dauphine St.)
> French Market Inn (Decatur St.)
> Prince Conti Hotel (Conti St.)
> Place D'Armes (St. Ann St.)
> St. Pierre Hotel (Burgundy St.)

And for a special treat, check out the Monteleone Hotel on Royal St. (I wrote about the Carousel Bar in one of my tips. It's a landmark in the Quarter, and a place with a lot of character. )You can see more of it at its website Hotel Monteleone.

And finally, there's also a cool guesthouse called Lamothe House (on Esplanade which is the very edge of the French Quarter.
It's within walking distance of the French Quarter ) (the blocks go from 100 to
1000, with residential areas starting around the 700 blocks. Sometimes it can
be a bit dicey from the 800 block up to Esplanade, but if you're gutsy and in
the mood for some very cool atmosphere (and if the other hotels are booked),
this could be your spot. It's very "French Quarter" in its ambience. For some great deals (and New Orleans can serve up some surprisingly great deals, depending on when you go), go to the Orbitz website.

This link takes you to the main New Orleans page where it shows the various sections (such as French Quarter, Garden District, Central Business District, etc).

Once you're there, just click on "French Quarter" link and you'll see the hotels I've listed PLUS many more.

Good Luck! Here's the website:

Orbitz-New Orleans Accomodations

should we stay in the FQ? or Garden District?

by espressotogo

Is the FQ too noisy and congested? I've already booked there but a travel guide said you won't get any sleep...and if I don't get sleep I feel ***ty. We booked at the Dauphine Orleans. Also can you recommend a swamp tour? thanks

by tags4

When are you going? During the winter months the gators and such on the swamp tour seem to be in hibernation. I went on the swamp tour in August, it was fine. My friends went on it in Febuary, didn't see anything and they were very cold. Stay in the FQ or up town, GD is fine if you have a car. Street car stops at 11P I believe. Have fun. Janet

by jgivens

It really does depend on when you intend to travel. The Garden District has some great B&B's at reasonable prices (cheaper than FQ hotels). Many of these are just of of St Charles. The streetcar runs up and down St.Charles (cheap, easy). The Castle Inn is a great one to stay in. They will negotiate your price.

by pasqualeswife

Definitely stay in the French Quarter, just not in a room overlooking Bourbon Street. I did that once and didn't get any sleep. Try the Sainte Helene.

Re: Re: should we stay in the FQ? or Garden District?

by TubbySmith

It's a must to stay in the French Quarter. Just don't stay on Borubon. Stay on Dauphine or Decatur towards Canal St. You'll be withing walking distance of everything and be in heaven.

by cromette

My husband has to have his sleep too, and we always stay in the French Quarter when we go without the kids. The Dauphine Orleans should be great! Ask for a room that doesn't face the street if you want it extra quiet. You're going to have a blast. Looks like a really nice place.

Comments