1317 Ursulines Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States
Hostelworld.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about New Orleans

steam calliopesteam calliope

statue of Jean Bapriste Le Moyne de Bienvillestatue of Jean Bapriste Le Moyne de Bienville

New Orleans Court BuildingNew Orleans Court Building

The New Orleans Knights Jazz BandThe New Orleans Knights Jazz Band

Bus from MSY to French qtr

by jwulf1959

My family is going to NO from Wed to Sunday for a Convention. Need info on Bus from Airport both days. I understand that there is a transfer point during the week for the two different lines during the week, but NOT on Sunday ...

by jwulf1959

Also, is there a week pass to cover this period of time or at least DAY rates ?

by TravellerMel

There is an airport shuttle which will take you from the airport to your hotel, and your hotel to the airport. http://airportshuttleneworleans.com They charge $38 round trip, per person.

by mccalpin

Are you going straight to/from the Convention Center or to a hotel? If the latter, which one?

Bill

by bocmaxima

No transfer required anymore to get to Downtown NOLA from the airport and it runs 7 days per week. The bus arrives at the Superdome though, so you'll have to either transfer to another bus or take the streetcar (separate fare).

by bird805

I go to NOLA every fall. This year, I too am goint on Thanksgiving. Opening Day at the track! They make great bloody mary's. I'd recommend buying a Frommer's guide. They have 3 walking tours. The Garden District is my personal favorite. I hope you have a great time.

Travel Tips for New Orleans

Cajun and Creole: The History

by maestrousmc

Creole and Cajun are much more alike than they are like anything else. But that answer doesn't satisfy you, does it? Although both are strongly French, the Creoles and the Cajuns came to Louisiana by different paths. And once they got here, they lived differently. The Creoles were much more cosmopolitan, and blended with the Spanish, American, African, German, and Italian people, all of whom came to town in large numbers. The Cajuns, on the other hand, were isolated for most of their history. A Creole is one born in south Louisiana of parents who immigrated from Europe--most particularly France, Spain, and Portugal. In New Orleans, that became important when the Americans took over. The French Quarter became the Creole sector, while the Americans built their homes and businesses on the other side of Canal Street, the main thoroughfare and dividing line between the French Quarter and the rest of the city.

Mimes, Mimes, everywhere

by halloweengirl

Maybe I should call this the most unusual thing that I enjoyed while in New Orleans. It seems that there is always a party going on, there are clowns, music, and mimes of every shape and size. They are on every street corner and it will really give you a kick to see them stand motionless, with their eyes open, and then when you least suspect it, they will move and talk to you in their wonderful cajun accent. My fondest memory was riding in the mule drawn carriages. The reason they use mules (so the driver told me) was because they are not disturbed by loud noises and crowds of people, like horses are. The reason this is my favorite memory was the sun on my face, the charming smell of the French Quarter, and the driver of our carriage told us about the history of all the buildings and how New Orleans came to be built here. Not to mention, I was with my favorite person in the world, my husband.

EAT! I tended to eat at small...

by Joyce_Lee

EAT! I tended to eat at small establishments for a more intimate down home feeling. To party there are all kinds of places along Bourbon Street. My favorites included Patrick O'Brien's (very busy place with dueling pianos), Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (very old establishment which was a front for the pirate) and, of course, the Preservation Jazz Club. Hanging out with some people I met there and meeting the locals, one of which invited us over to his house to listen to Miles Davis. Left there early in the morning and the fog filled the streets and gave a glow to the old streetlights. Very ethereal.

Tours by Isabelle

by ErinInMD

I took a post Katrina disaster tour to see for myself what the hurricane did to the city. Some people may think the tour groups are profiting from the tragedy. I don't feel this way. I have used what I have learned and what I saw to go back to everyone I know and show my family and friends. Everyone is shocked over what they saw. The news cannot fully show what is going on in this region.

The tour takes you to a lot of different areas in New Orleans. You are in a van that picks you up at your hotel. You will not see the Lower 9th Ward due to a local ordinance prohibiting tour groups from going into that area. The tour is $49 per person and is several hours long. Our tour guide - John - is a local and gave us a lot of history of New Orleans and a detailed timeline of the storm. He also went into details on how the storm impacted his family and even showed us his brother and nephews house in St. Bernard's Parish.

Everyone who was with my group (there was a total of ten of us) were shocked over what we saw. You come away from it wanting to do something - which is not a bad thing. See my main New Orleans page for a link to my journal of my post Katrina tour.

The website for Tours by Isabelle is: http://www.toursbyisabelle.com/ .

Voodoo Junk

by nicolettart

You will notice in every shop these little dolls. I guess they make a cute souvenir for some people, but not me. It's a real tourist trap item, especially when you see them as magnets, pins, etc. What junk!! If you want to buy some voodoo paraphernalia, the Marie Laveau shop on Bourbon St. has books, mojo bags, and stuff like that.

Comments