Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter

Post Katrina

by TripAdvisor Member Thomaskm

With extreme trepidation we attended our first Mardi Gras. The Hilton Garden was an excellant choice for our stay. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, everything works! Close to the parade routes on St. Charles, only a few blocks from the French Quarter, and a 10 minute walk to the Casino. The in house breakfast is a hearty buffet of eggs, meat, home fries, and of course grits. They make a terrific omlet too! The rates were very reasonable, we paid $100+ less than comparable hotels. Book early! This may sound like a commercial, but we were very pleased. Drawbacks? There is NO curb appeal, the front door spills out onto narrow Gravier street, there are some empty store fronts across the street due to the hurricane. There is a convieniece store 50ft from the door open 24 hrs. and has GREAT fried chicken & cold beer. VERY satisfied.

Good value and quiet rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Topdown_1999

We visit New Orleans each May. This was our first stay at the Hilton Garden Inn and it won't be the last. The staff was very friendly. The room was large by New Orleans standards and was in great shape. It was cleaned completely each day. The room had a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron, ironing board, and free high speed internet access. Though the hotel was fully booked, we did not hear a sound in our room and there was never a delay for an elevator. A small, but nice pool is located on the roof.

The French Quarter is only a block and a half away. If this hotel were in the Quarter, you'd pay twice as much, so a short walk did not bother us.

A room key is required to take the elevator to any floor except the lobby. We never felt unsafe.

There was no evidence of damage caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Great Service

Based on previous reviews I chose the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter to block rooms for family/friends for my wedding which was at the end of May. I looked at the rooms prior to my decision and found them to be better than average and were very spacious. The group sales rep, Esther, went out of her way to work with me and was very understanding as I changed the amount of rooms needed several times. I was also able to get a great deal considering it was Memorial day weekend and I am pretty sure this hotel offers great prices even without the group rate.
Most of the guests were able to make their reservations without any trouble and I wasnt made aware of any problems with anyone's room or check in/out service. In fact, my friends/family went on about how nice all of the staff were and had a wonderful time. The location of this hotel is very unassuming and can be a little difficult to find, however, it is a very convenient location to both the casino side and french quarter.
I did not officially stay at the hotel, but as the person who blocked off approx. 20 rooms for 2 nights, I did not hear anything but positive remarks and wanted to show appreciation to the hotel and group sales staff for easing part of my wedding planning stress.

What is considered the "French Quarter"?

by TripAdvisor Member buoybelle

The hotel is lovely. However, it is QUITE a few blocks from the French Quarter which could be a problem late at night after visiting Bourbon Street. Overall, I prefer hotels on the other side of Canal Street, closer to the Quarter.

Proper and correct, but

by TripAdvisor Member tubabu

The hotel was proper and correct. My room was spacious, clean, quiet, and comfortable, although not as close to the French Quarter as the name implies. Three blocks away is still three blocks.

But the hotel could have done better. When I was there (June, 2006) many other hotels were offering to their customers, who were attending the first large convention to return to NOLA, such emoluments as: free breakfastss, free dinners, free WiFi service, free glasses of wine, free non-alcoholic service at the bar, etc. They were meant to impress, and they did. Compared to other hotels, including the Hilton Garden Inn on St. Peters, which offered a colleague complimentary breakfasts for the duration of his 6-day stay and free non-alcoholic beverages at the bar, and an Embassy Suites, which offered another colleague a free 1/2 bottle of wine in the evening, this hotel was downright abstemious. All that we got were free USA Todays plus toll house cookies and lemonade at the end of the day.

To be sure, when I asked the manager about some of these differences in service, he agreed to comp me breakfast for 4 days. I thought that offer should have been made to all clients at the time they checked in.

At the same time, food service at the hotel (during this first post-Katrina convention) was decidedly inferior. The hotel has a small kitchen, which serves only breakfasts and lunches. With the exception of omlets, much of the food appears to have been prepared elsewhere and delivered to the hotel and is only mediocre. Unfortunately that includes the morning coffee. Curiously, it was worse -- less tasty -- than such places as Dunkin Donuts or even my favorite diner. Croissant, typically mediocre everywhere outside of France, had the correct shape, but tasted like Porter House rolls. And my Egg Beater omlet with onions, mushrooms, peppers, and ham never got beyond the look of scrambled eggs with all those things mixed in. At least it tasted OK, and by the 4th day they'd followed through on my request to cut back on butter.

I had but one lunch, and it was adequate: a pre-made tuna wrap.

The hotel boasts of having an outdoor pool. It does; it's on the 18th floor overlooking much of the city. At about 9' x 15' it's about the same size as some large closets I've seen and therefore not really much good for anything other than some kind of baptismal dip. The fitness center with the standard treadmills and stationary bicycles was adequate.

Staff was helpful and considerate, which travelers expect often to their disappointment. I was not disappointed. In keeping with the city-wide campaign to make everyone want to come back, staff was friendly and efficient; proper and correct.

In sum, the hotel made my stay comfortable. Nothing remarkable or memorable; just proper and correct.

Very good place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Travelinto25Cities

This hotel is a very nice place to stay. The rooms and common areas are well kept and clean. The hotel occupies floors 11-18 of what appears to be a mixed use building. The pool (oversized bathtub) is on the roof along with the gym. The roof area is an open area that provides a nice view of the city. I believe that the free wireless access is available on the roof so you can surf outside and watch the city. The hotel has an eating area and what appears to be a bar. Both have limited hours and the breakfast was fair but I opted to go across the street to "Steve's" for breakfast on day 2. It is a little walk to the Quarter or to the Riverwalk area. Overall, a fine place to stay and they are in much better condition than most of the hotels in the city. I will definately stay there again. There also is a nice little pantry area adjacent to the front desk for a few little munchies and drinks when the crave hits. Wireless access was fine but slow so switched to the wall outlet which was fine until the whole connection went down. It came back up and the speed was much improved.

Excellent choice

by TripAdvisor Member heavybuddy

Let's get the hotel review out of the way first. This Hilton is located on the top floors of a mixed use building in the CBD but only a 5 min walk from Bourbon St. It's one of several old office buildings that have been reborn as hotels for (mainly) business and convention travellers. Our room was well done with nice decor, extremely comfortable beds, a small fridge, and extra sound-proofing. Heard nothing from fellow guests or from outside the whole time. Service was friendly and efficient. They dinged me $20 for parking but the room rate was so low it was still a great deal. The rooftop pool was small but offered a great view of the city, at least what's left of it. Which brings me to my comments on the city of New Orleans itself. A visit here in 2006 is a very sad experience, probably alot like a visit to Berlin immediately after WWII. Yes the French Quarter is up and running, you can get a Hurricane at Pat Obriens and an outstanding poboy at Mothers, but much of the city is basically a disaster area. And the saddest part is--nobody seems to care. Here and there you'll see some clean-up and rebuilding going on but not much. On Bourbon Street, where on previous trips it seemed that the food and the music were the primary focus, now the strip clubs dominate, and the party atmosphere is gone. God bless those that have stayed on and are dedicated to restoring the city to its former glory.

Good place to stay for business

by TripAdvisor Member bactman

Stayed at the hotel several times following Hurricane Katrina, and was probably one of the best properties downtown. The rooms were more than adequate in size and the beds comfortable. The staff was pleasant to work with, and more than accomodating to any needs or questions.

Notes:
-Lobby is on an upper floor (11th, I believe). Made waiting for elevators, especially at night somewhat of an adventure.

-The hotel is about 4-5 blocks away from Canal Street and the mess that is Bourbon Street. If you are looking for a quiet night away from revelers, this is a pretty good option. The only problem is that all of the bars and resteraunts are in the Quarter.

-The breakfast is food. Nothing special or different over a 1 month period.

-No mold was observed in the guest rooms, but a small spot was see on a hallway ceiling. The staff knew about it but could not find the source of water. Nice to see a staff that knows about mold (for once).

Overall: I would definetly stay there again for business, but maybe not for adventure.

Very Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member HJFHJS

Spent one night in early October in this hotel. No on site dinner restaurant but they do offer breakfast and lunch. Rooms are large and the quietest I have ever slept in. Located only two blocks from the Canal street end of Bourdon Street, it has great access to the French Quarter, without being on top of all the noise.

Refused to refund deposit

by TripAdvisor Member greeley12

I made a four-night reservation on October 10 for a stay from Oct. 12-16. I was told I had until Wedenesday Oct. 11 to cancel. I tried to cancel on Oct. 10 and was told I would not be given a refund.

Comments