Historic French Market Hotel

French Market Inn
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

This place is a real D..U..M..P.., A virtual landfill of dirt, stink, and grime. Some of the brochures we read described this place as a luxury hotel. It is not. It is a dump.
    Evidently there are five parts to the hotel, and one room in five is said to be real nice. So if you make the mistake of making reservations for this dump, at least you have a one in five chance of getting a nice room. Good Luck. Regardless of the room you get, there is a 100% chance the amount you will be charged at checkout will be different from the rate you were quoted when making the reservations. Very strong unethical conduct on the part of the management of this place.
    If you like to gamble, you have a 20% chance of a nice room, but you will pay the same for the dump. Don't expect to get moved to a nice room, they are always full up, or at least thats what you will be told.
    Take it from someone who stayed there three days, DON'T DO IT. This is the first time I have ever booked thru Hotels.com and had to pay additional room charges when I checked out. Not the fault of Hotels.com, just unethical conduct on the part of the management of the hotel.

Unique Quality: i Observed nothing outstanding about this dump.

Directions: french quarter

24-Hour Heated Spa

Heated outdoor pool / spa in their lovely garden. Open 24-hour a day. You can enjoy any time you like. Free of charge.

Historic French Market Inn

Double room I stayed in this Historic French Market Inn. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfy enough with all neccessary services.

Oasis in French Quarter

Perfect location, tucked away at the Mississippi River in the heart of the French Quarter. the Historic French Market Inn is a beautiful 19th century inn built in the 1800's.
    Walking distance to Bouborn Street and Riverside. The best thing is that they have a quiet and beautiful garden / backyard, and in the middle of the backyard is a 24-hour open heated spa/pool. This place is very clean and neat. Highly recommended.

• French Market Inn

This is probably one of my favorite hotels in New Orleans, not because it is so luxurious but because it has so much character. The buildings and courtyard are just beautiful. Some people don't like this hotel because the buildings are older and a bit worn, but for me it has the perfect New Orleans charm.

Unique Quality: The courtyard is stunning. They also have a very small pool as well as a coffee shop and cocktail lounge. Guests get 1 free cocktail per day.

Directions: Across from the Hard Rock Cafe.

• KaiM's Profile Photo

Fancy and stylish

The Historic French Market Inn has a wonderful, fancy lobby. To get from the lobby to my room I had to cross the patio. A real oasis with flowers, trees and a small pool. Breakfast is served outside in that patio. Beautiful!

Directions: Decatur Street - just across the street of Jackson Brewery in the French Quarter. Two blocks to Royal Street and three blocks to Bourbon Street. The Mississippi is just 400 feet away.

More about Historic French Market Hotel

Hotel Guest Beware!

Have been to N.O. many times on business. This trip I decided to take a chance and try out the Historic French Market Inn in the French Quarter. This is what happened: Upon arrival, number of people in lobby complaining about their rooms to one person behind the counter. Warily, I went to my room which was right across from the maid's service entrance and work area. The room was filthy, poor lighting, very loud street noises. During the first night I had people hitting my window.
The next morning I heard the staff come in talking about how the elevators were broken! I asked for a different room they said they didn't have any available. When I arrived back after work, maid service never came. They charge extra per day for phone & safe (even if you don't use it). They charge extra for late check-out ($30/hr). The second night I had a woman sobbing outside my door for 2 hours at 3:00AM! The last day, I had late check-out. When I arrived back at my room, maid staff was sitting all over the room, around my stuff, having a meeting! I refused to pay the extra charge since my room was being used. I feel sorry for anyone that stays here! I did NOT feel safe! It needs new management and maintenance! I will never stay there again!

Great Hotel - Greater staff!!

My daughter and I just came home after spending Christmas at the French Market Inn in New Orleans. We had a very nice room with floor to ceiling window overlooking a lovely courtyard. What was most impressive to us was the attention of the staff. They didn't wait for us to ask for things - they asked FIRST if there was anything they could do for us or get for us - and they were ALWAYS pleasant and friendly. I have read lots of complaints about the system of phone charges; but if you make lots of calls - which we do - it's definitely a bargain!! Yes, we would stay there again.

Never EVER Again!!

We spent four nights at this hotel over Halloween weekend 2003. There will be about $6.00 of extra charges per night to use the phone and safe whether you need them or not. These charges were non-negotiable.

Our room had some serious problems. Although cleaned daily by staff there was mold growing on the wallpaper in the bathroom, broken bathroom tile, unfinished renovations in the bathroom, broken window facing Decatur St., and the air-conditioning vent rattled all night.
Between the sounds from the street and the rattling air vent we ended up sleeping with earplugs everynight.

They provided no fitted bottom sheet for the bed but instead used a top sheet that twisted in the night and left the mattress bare. It was a very uncomfortable sleep.

I do realize that the majority of the cost per night of this hotel is due to location. The hotel is in the middle of the French Quarter and very ideal. I was not expecting a 5 star experience but I was also not expecting to be completely miserable. I would not recommend this hotel.
Pay a little more, trust me it will be worth it.

Bon Maison or French Market Inn?

by kimeli

Hi, I have a choice of staying at the Bon Maison Guest House or the French Market Inn in the French Quarter. I've never been to New Orleans and haev heard so many good and bad things about the French Quarter hotels. Can somebody please please please give me their opinion on the Bon Maison or the French Market Inn? Thank you!

RE: Bon Maison or French Market Inn?

by rosenb25

I'm staying at the French Market Inn this Friday and Saturday. I'll let you know how it was.

Comments