Hostelling International - Marquette / New Orleans

Rank 164 of 307 hotels
in New Orleans
Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 3 reviews
groovy_23's Profile Photo

stay in the garden district!

by written on November 17, 2002

Marquette House was located in the garden district right off of the st charles street car line. This is without question one of the best kept secrets in New Orleans. The price was 50 bucks for a private room, and the rooms weres HUGE! I'm a big fan of hostels because I think it makes for a more colorful and social trip. The building is pre civil war so it had it's quirks, but for the price, you cant beat it. THe desk people were nice and they even had a barbeque social one night were we go to trade travel tips with other people from around the world.
It's also in the garden district which is a 10 min street car ride fom the french quarter, and right across the street, there is a nice little area where you can do a historic self guided tour. Also near the Lafayette cemetary. I would highly recommend it.

Unique Quality: There was a fridge in our room so it helped us save a little money not having to eat out all the time, and we always had a place to store our leftovers.

Directions: Garden District

squeak_tj97's Profile Photo

I stayed in the Youth Hostel...

by written on August 26, 2002

I stayed in the Youth Hostel there...Let's just say that my shuttle driver did not want me to get out of the van. He swore up and down that we were in the wrong part of town. It definately was not all that...but if you are low on cash what else is there to do.
It was $140 for 5 nights.

Unique Quality: Nothing fancy... several bunk beds (not very sturdy) in a room. I had 14 beds to one bathroom.

Directions: Ideal for jumping on the trolley to get to Canal St. or else it's a 30 minute walk.

Piggy73's Profile Photo

We stayed at the official...

by written on August 24, 2002

We stayed at the official 'Marquette House' Youth Hostel in a self contained apartment. It was very good value for self catering - though make sure you don't leave any food lying around as we were not alone !

We became aware of a guest in our room - residing in the toaster - the only visible parts of it's body were its protruding antennae. Being used to a UK temperate climate I'm not particularly aquainted with the local wildlife. The cockroach was several centimetres long & I'm sad to say was zapped by the toaster. Despite this the room was clean and we would be happy to stay there again.

A word of warning though about the location of the hostel. A chance encounter with a policeman while walking to the hostel made us aware of its "dodgy" location. He informed us that some of the half-way houses in the area housed young guys just released from prison and suggested a longer but safer walking route to the hostel. He told us that at night this is not the nicest part of town and that really the hostel should have advised us to take the street car that goes much nearer. Despite this during our stay we didn't experience any problems.

Unique Quality: A typical New Orleans style building.

Not far from the hostel was an arts centre & cafe with free internet access.

Directions: Link to a map (flash player is required)

Nearby Hostelling International - Marquette / New Orleans

Hostelling International - Marquette / New Orleans

• Hostelling International - Marquette / New Orleans Hotel New Orleans

Address: 2253 Carondelet St., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States

1 Photo of Hostelling International - Marquette / New Orleans

View Professional Photos

New Orleans Travel Forum

Need advice about New Orleans, Louisiana? Visit the Travel Forum for New Orleans and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Orleans hotel reviews

Avoiding Tourist Hazards
Garden District
St. Louis Cemetery
Things to Do
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!"
Night Safety.
French Quarter
Drinking
Preservation Hall
Nightlife
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
St. Charles Line