Hotel Chateau Dupre

2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

131 Rue Decatur, (formerly Ramada Inn French Quarter), New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States
Chateau Dupre Hotel
Orbitz.com Hotels.com CheapTickets.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 25% more and rated 35% lower than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Chateau Dupre

A great place to stay!

We had a short weekend and needed a place to stay. We found the Chateau Dupre on Decatur Street to be a welcome enviornment! Rooms are roomy enough. Location is close enough and the management and front desk staff are nicer than nice! We'll be back!

Top Notch Stay!

We just returned home from our stay at the Chateau Dupre. We had the best time. Keshell checked us into our room and was very helpful with any questions. We were at a good location for everything we wanted to do while we were there. The room was an average size room but nice. There were a few small things that made our stay better. We complained that our toilet was stopped up and it was taken care of very quickly and to top that the hotels manager (Mr. Crisp) called us personally....JUST TO MAKE SURE IT WAS RESOLVED. That was quite a surprise. Never has a manager called my room just to make sure that everything was okay. Mr. Crisp has a great staff with Keshell and Tim. Another small perk if you will; They don't use plain soap dishes in the rooms. They have these great sqaure dishes instead that have musical instruments on them and they have a lot of colors. My wife even bought a few as gifts. I don't visit New Orleans often, but when and if I go back I'm looking forward to staying at Chateau Dupre. Thank you!

This place is a rip-off and a dump!! - Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member Gremlin55

I booked our room at the Chateau Dupre at neworleansfinehotels.com. I called the 1-800 number instead of finishing booking over the internet since it did not specify smoking or non-smoking on the king room that we wanted. The lady I spoke with assured me that we would have a non-smoking king room for 169.00 per night for 2 nights. When we arrived our 1st night, we were put in room 402 which had 2 double beds, a tiny bathroom with only a shower(no tub) no bigger than a phone booth, and was no doubt the worst room we have ever been put in in all of our years of travelling. I was furious and spoke with the manager who told me that there was nothing that he could do for that night. We were moved the next day to 405 which was a king room that we were supposed to be in. All in all, it was better, but not classy like the rooms that are advertised on the website. Our total bill for 2 nights was $444.32 which included parking. I was shocked. This is such a rip-off and I hope that I can prevent anyone else from making this same mistake. At one point when we were going through the lobby, we overhead someone else complaining about booking a King room and receiving a double instead. So, this must be a common practice to lure unsuspecting tourists into this trap. I told the manager that I would never return and will never recommend this place to anyone. I don't see how the employees can work at this place (if they have any concious at all) and feel good about people being treated this way.

HOTEL OK-WATCH THE RESTAURANT

We spent one night (9/4/2004) as my birthday gift from my significant other. The hotel was very good for one that is old. We enjoyed the room and the staff.
The surprise came later in the day when we decided to have a night cap at the adjoining restaurant. We drank 6 glassses of wine and were presented with a charge of $36. The receipt was handwritten on a piece of cash register paper without an itemized list and price of items as is usual in restaurants.
I guess we should have asked the price of wine before ordering.

Magnificent!!

We went on vacation to New Orleans and chose the Chateau as our hotel. We
were glad with our decision. We were not glad that a hurricane was supposed
to hit the city on the days we were there. I have never experienced a
hurricane and was petrified. I couldn't get a flight home, I was literally
trapped. I was a wreck. I didn't want to do anything besides go home. That
was not possible though.

I stayed in my room for a good bit and then received a kncok at my door from
the hotel manager Darrell Crisp. He came to introduce himself to each and
every guest. He asked if I had ever been through a hurricane, I told him no
and he explained to me what to expect. I told him I was terrified and he
told me that he refused to let me stay in my room the entire time. He asked
me to come down stairs when I got a chance and meet him. I came down, met
him and he told me he refuses to let me stay in my room the entire time. He
recommended where I should go for dinner. AND, he was staying at the hotel
throughout the storm to keep an eye on everything. He even told me his room
number and told me I was more than welcome to call at any time if I was
scared, had any questions or needed anything. AMAZING! Fortunately, I didn't
have to disturb him. He did call back though later in the evening to check
on me. He was working just like a regular employee. Had I not known, I would
never have thought he was the hotel manager because I saw him working.
Moving furniture and plants and checking on all of the people.

Another phenominal employee was Keishelle. She also was at the hotel for the
entire 2 days. She must have been tired from working so much, but she was
extremely polite and helpful. I want to personally thank both of these
people. Darrell and Keishelle were very comforting with their kind words.

My favorite part of the entire stay was the managers dog. He was in the
lobby and so adorable and playful. I have pictures that I just had to take
with the cute little thing. I want to return just to visit him.

After all of this preparation, the storm didn't even hit. THANK GOODNESS!

Again, thank you to the wonderful staff at Chateau for being so comforting.

Quaint in the French Quarter

Hotel is convienent to the French Quarter. The Orleans Cafe, next to the lobby, has very good food, musical entertainment and a well stocked bar.

The front desk, especially Devon, is extremely helpful in arranging transportation and/or making reservations at any eating establishment.

The room was small, yet very comfortable, as was the king sized bed. A/C works great.

All employees were extremely friendly, with special note to Devon and thanks to her for all of the help she provided.

Don't go

It was a mess from the beginning. We arrived and had to double park our car in the sreet. They said no one would tow it but we still had to worry about getting hit. We got to our room around 5:00pm and couldn't get in because the key wouldn't work. Once we got in we had the view of a parking gargage and no air. We advised the front desk of this and at 9:30 pm still had no air. I was given a different room. Adown grade off inthe corner that was about a 10'x10', the bathroom door wouln't even close. The next day we were in our room and the front desk kept on calling and some kept knocking at the door wanting to look at the fuse box, talk about privacy. The evelator was so bad you were scared to get in it. Needless to say they did give lower our room rate for one night but in all reality it should have been done for both. Upon leaving I thought it was best to forget it instead of arguing about what was right. The best thing was the resturant ajoing the holet but you had to listen to the host get out of line for no reason before being seated. We had frinds also staying in the hotel they had a big standing fan in there room to be able to cool of the bedroom. We also had some friends that are now canceling there reseverations(another Twoo rooms) because of the horror storey. The only thing I can say is it was better than sleeping in the car!

Fantastic

The room was beautiful, the location is fantastic (right in the Quarter), and the staff were professional, courteous and beyond helpful. We had a great time and will definitely stay here again on our next trip. I strongly recommend the Dupre -- it's a wonderful hotel and it's a great value!

NO HI SPEED INTERNET AS PROMISED

I pride myself for finding good deals on the internet. I have booked many family vacations, couples vacations and business trips for my husband. In this case, my husband was attending a conference but the hotel it was held at was full. I searched the area until I came up with this one...good price (my husband wasn't looking for frills) and it offered hi-speed internet. This factor was extremely important to my husband so I even phoned the hotel directly and they assured me it was available and up and running.
I was very anxious to hear from my husband to see what he thought of hotel. He arrived late at night and called me. He told me it was OK but pretty old. The next evening he called and told me there was a problem with the internet. The front desk kept assuring him that it would be working. My husband was there from Monday to Friday and it never did work!
He said he went to go for the free breakfast but took one look and searched for another restaurant instead.
I tried to ignore some of the negative remarks for this hotel as there seemed to be so many positive ones but in the end, I guess the negative ones were more in line with the truth. Also, as the old saying goes...you get what you pay for. The price was cheap.

Hotel advice

by kristinland

This will be my first trip to New Orleans...
I am wondering if the Ramada Inn downtown is nice. The reviews on Travelocity were decent. My husband and I are on a budget for our vacation and it looked like a good deal for the price. Is it in a decent part of town? Would it be scary to walk around there at night?

I am VERY excited to go to New Orleans!!!! I love reading all your posts!

Re: Hotel advice

by JustAnotherTourist

The location is not one that I would recommend, (due to the location, not necessarily the property). The other Ramada, the Chateau Dupre, is in a great location, (again, I am recommending the location - I am not familiar with that particular property). Regardless of whether you stayed in the Chateau Dupre, I would look for something in the French Quarter that is near that location. Have a delightful time in the Crescent City.

Re: Hotel advice

by Robachu1

JustAnotherTourist is right, that location is not good at all, unless you are going to the Medical Center or Tulane Medical School. You can do much better.

by kristinland

The Chateau Dupre does not have good reviews.

by JustAnotherTourist

Thanks for informing us about the bad reviews - like I mentioned, I was really suggesting that as a good physical location to try to find something near - recent Forum postings have suggested both the Holiday Inn French Quarter, (including my personal recommendation as it has just been completely renovated), and the Holiday Inn Express on Carondolet. These two will give you a starting point. Have a wonderful trip.

by joesorce

Check out the Lafitte Guest House, we enjoyed it there.

Comments