717 Rue Conti, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 76% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Saint Ann - Marie Antoinette Hotel

Believe what you read. Do not stay here - Please.

by TripAdvisor Member KINGHOPWAS

I found these reviews only after I had booked. I was told by my travel agent that it was a 4 star Hotel, and the web site looks good so decided to give it a try. Don't make the same mistake. It does not deserve any rating at all. On approaching the Hotel there was a doorman slouched at the front door dragging on a cigarette. He disappeared as soon as we stopped and was not seen again, no assistance with our bags.
If there was a pattern on the lobbby carpet I could not see it, the dirt was so thick. The staff were surly. Yes the elevator does smell and the carpet is covered in chewing gum. Litter was left in the corridors for days and a balcony on a no smoking floor never had the cigarette ends swept up. Housekeeping was virtually non-existent. The "sparkling pool" was full of dead leaves and dirt. The bar was so dark I felt concerned for my personal safety but I suspect the real reason was that any illumination would have exposed the filth and dirt. Our room had a dirty carpet and worn/broken furniture, aircon that could not be adjusted and a thermostat that was held together with sticky tape (it fell apart exposing bare electric wires). The bathroom was unreal. Rusty (and I mean rusty) shower fittings, mould, cracked wash basin, thick dust, rusty lights, dirty floor. I could go on. I am still asking myself why I stayed. I suppose after travelling for 18 hours all we wanted to do was sleep and then with just 3 days in New Orleans I did not want to be arguing over the return of my payment and look for somewhere else to stay. PS did I mention the bedroom and bathroom doors? They were so ill fitting I could not make up my mind whether a limbo dancer owned the place or if they were a job lot off a western saloon bar.

Depends on what you expect in a hotel...

Booked it before reading these reviews...nearly changed my reservations based on them. Glad I didn't, though, because I kind of liked the place. But it isn't for everyone, just like the French Quarter isn't for everyone. Yes the place is kind of dirty/musty, and the elevator smells like an old library, but it has the run-down old charm that a lot of the Quarter has. The pool seems like it's just for display(really cold water, leaves, etc.), but the courtyard is charming. With the exception of one bellman the staff were pleasant to us and quickly got us the extra fold-away bed we asked for. Our room facing Conti was clean enough and the bathroom OK. Shower fluctuates between hot/cold unexpectedly, making showering an adventure in the fine line between pleasure and pain. I overheard one lady at the desk complaining that her faucet handle comes off. Evidently the quality of the rooms varies widely, but ours was OK--clean sheets/carpet, furniture a bit nicked/old but not junky. Those whose idea of an acceptable hotel is a Sheraton or Hilton will NOT like this place..but they won't like a lot of things in the French Quarter. The rooms are expensive, but you pay for the location--and the location ROCKS. If you are not a neat freak and you get a decent price you may find this place charming. I liked it.

We won't be back

My wife and I recently spent 5 nights at this hotel. We are not hard to please, but we were so disappointed we had to send this review. First of all, the room we booked 90 days in advance was not available and we had to spend our first night in a smaller room. Then the issue of cleanliness. Our room and hallways/elevator were all very dirty. The pool was so bad that no one used it in the 5 days we were there. Ash trays in the halls had the same butts in them 4 days later. Used food trays regularly stayed in the halls for over 24 hours. The last problem was the noise. We had to buy earplugs to allow for any sleep. Nice area to explore and we loved New Orleans, but we will never stay in this hotel again.

Great Location - Overall a nice place

My husband and I spent 3 nights here for our honeymoon. The staff was very nice. The hotel is located close to Bourbon Street but we didnt hear loud music in our room. The room was clean but the hotel is a little old but so is the french quarter. That is part of the experience of visiting New Orleans.

I would stay here again.

Not for the Hoity-Toity Crowd

Admittedly this was not the best hotel I have ever stayed in but the atmosphere, location and staff were all fantastic. The carpet in the room was stained, the shower did not have the water pressure I am accustomed to and yes the elevator did have an old smell to it but it's and old building and New Orleans is humid almost all year round. The pool was not what I considered good for human use but it added to the beautiful court yard and besides, if you are taking a trip to the Big Easy just to lay about a hotel swimming pool you are going to the wrong city. My only complaint was that I did not think to bring my hair dryer knowing that hotels have built in ones now. Well, not this one. I believe the hotel was well worth the money and the location could not be better. So if your not a spoiled person and don't mind sacrificing a few minor hotel luxeries, stay here.

Comments