Hotel Monteleone

214 Rue Royale, French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130-2201, United States

Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Robber entered room while we slept

My family and I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone January 7-10. We had two connecting rooms – 1032 and 1033. Our party consisted of my husband, myself and our 3 young children. On the morning of January 10 we returned to our room at 12:15 am and entered and closed the room to our hotel room – 1033. My husband stayed in the room with our boys in 1032 while my daughter and I were in 1033. We had the connecting doors open at all times.
    At 4:55 am I was awakened by what sounded like a door closing. I assumed that my family in 1032 was going to the bathroom. I rolled over and went back to sleep. Approximately 10 minutes later I woke up again and noticed that the bathroom light in my room had been turned on. Thinking that one of our children was sick I began to get up to check on them. At that time I noticed a man crawling on his stomach in our room toward my bed. The man appeared to be in his late twenties to thirty year of age. He was Caucasian with a shaved head and was wearing what looked like a black T-shirt with white design on it.
    This man was no more than 3 feet from me. He looked me directly in the eyes and then grabbed my purse which was lying against the wall closest to my bed. He hopped up and dashed out of our room and turned to his left towards the stairwell. I know this for sure because I ran after him to ensure that he would not harm my 5 year old daughter who was sleeping in room as well.
    When he turned the corner and entered the stairwell I ran back into the room to wake up my husband and call the front desk so that they could alert security. Within 10 minutes security found my large red purse in an opposite stairwell from the one that he fled to upon leaving our room. The only thing missing from my purse was cash.
    Hotel security as well as two New Orleans police officers came to our room so that we could file a police report. The hotel security was unable to find the robber even though we called them no more than one minute after the robber fled our room. I asked if they could review the security camera tapes and was told that this could not be done until a manager arrived. We were scheduled to leave the hotel at 7:00 a.m. and were told that we would be contacted by the hotel with information later that day.
    They NEVER called! Any contact that has been made about this incident has been initiated by me. Once arriving home I called to speak to the hotel manager, Stephen Caputo. I was told that he was busy and would call me once he was available to discuss the incident. He NEVER called! Instead Mr. Caputo delegated this responsibility to Bertilia Burton, Guest Services Manager. She called me later that day and told me that she would need to meet with their security company the next morning and review video camera footage to see if the could determine who broke into our room. She also proceeded to tell me that their computer entry showed that no one had entered our room with one of their keys after 12:15.
    I am certain that the door was shut. One of the police officers noticed that even though you closed that the door to 1033 the lock was not catching. You had to really push and slam the door in order for it to catch. The officer proceeded to pull the door from inside the room without turning the handle and it opened.
    I was told by Ms. Burton that she would contact me the following day with any information that they could gain from watching the security camera videos. At approximately 1:30 pm I contacted Ms. Burton to see if they were able to learn how the intruder gained access to our room. I was told that they could not find anyone in the vicinity of our room or hotel at the time that the intrusion occurred. My first question was “You didn’t see him in the stairwell carrying a large red purse.” Ms. Burton replied that there are NO SECURITY CAMERAS IN ANY STAIRWELLS.
    I was in shock. My response to her was, “So you are telling me that our throats could have been slit by this intruder and you would have no security camera to help piece together a crime.” She said let me put you on hold. Ms. Burton then returned to the line and said that she had confirmed that there are no security cameras in any stairwells. Instead they have a security guard walk up the stairwells about every 30 minutes.
    No security cameras in stairwells after a MAJOR RENOVATION. I asked “Where are the security cameras located?” I was told that she wasn’t at liberty to say.
    Several things about this incident seem unusual. The robber/intruder knew exactly where to flee so that he wouldn’t be caught on the camera. Also, we discovered a final checkout bill outside our door that didn’t belong to us. The corner of the bill was a little mangled and it belonged to someone several floors up from us. I am curious to know who was putting out the final bills that morning.
    At one point after I told the security guard what the robber looked like he said that they have several people that would fit that description on different floors. Later he told me that he thought the robber fled an emergency exit. Yet the guest service manager told me that if he fled an emergency exit it would have set off an alarm. There are too many conflicting stories. They have an exact window of when this happened and they can’t pinpoint anything about the crime. Lastly, why would the hotel manager, Stephen Caputo, feel that an in room robbery isn’t important enough to contact the guest directly? Our family has not heard a word from him certainly not “I am sorry that this happened and we are doing what we can to keep our future guests safe.”
    I can’t imagine what could have happened had I not awakened and startled the robber. He could have severely harmed me and my 5 year old daughter. She has been terrified at night since the incident – shaking and teeth chattering because she is so scared that someone could enter our home like this man. I find myself jumping up when I hear any little noise during the night. I see the man’s face over and over when I lay down to sleep.
    This complaint is not about the cash that was stolen. It is that the hotel’s level of security is inadequate. I have stayed in many hotels across the country. Most hotels of this caliber you must show a key to get into the elevator. It was chaos in the hotel. The hotel bar is right beside two of the three sets of elevators. ANYONE could get into the elevator. There was no one checking guest keys before entering the elevator. The bar was packed with football fans in town for the BCS National Championship game. I would like to know if the hotel added extra security staff for the night due to the fact that this was such a huge event and they expected so many people. In my opinion they hotel is negligent in providing adequate guest safety.
    Knowing what I know now about the security of the hotel and the attitude of its management I feel that our story must to be told. Once others know about our experience perhaps management will decide to make changes to ensure better safety of future guests. Hopefully the Hotel Monteleone management will begin show cooperation, understanding, caring and follow-up to guests’ problems as well.

• Hotel Monteleone

We really love this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. the rooms are very small but nicely appointed. However they could supply softer bed linens. The restaurant in the hotel The Hunt Grill is a beautiful room but the food was non flavorful and we were disappointed. the Carousel bar makes a good drink, but expensive. We would stay here again mainly because the location is perfect.

Unique Quality: Nice roof top pool, great location!

Directions: Upper French Quarter

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Great location

A got a great deal on a hotel in a fantastic location just off of Bourbon street on Rue Royal . This hotel is historic but with modern rooms.

• JBreining's Profile Photo

Moving Bar

Lovely Hotel in the French Qtr. The rotating Bar was very unique and I recommend seeing it when in the French qtr. Our room was very nice and the high ceilings make it feel large. A desk to set the laptop on and a round table and chair that we liked to sit at and drink coffee in the morn was nice to have. Very friendly service all around. Good food too. Internet was 10 bucks per day.
    Loved the room decor and Architecture. We payed a taxi 6 bucks from the Train station. only took 10 or 12 min. We walked to all the favorite French Qtr spots.

• meek&humble2830's Profile Photo

crying kid at 2 am

The lobby of this hotel looks elegant in their website but be there personally and the only thing that catches your attention is that huge Grandfather clock positioned almost in the middle of the floor , the lobby is dimly lit and tight.
    The small antique figurines on display are worth viewing.
    My room is ok
    The lady who cleaned ny room was nice.
    The cashier in the gift shop never smiles, looks like she lost a lot of money in the Kentucky Derby.
    There was not much traffic in the elevators, smooth ride all the time.
    The morning doorman is informative and knowledgable.
    I prefer to stay in another hotel next year.

Unique Quality: Water in the pool is warm though the kids gonna enjoy it more than the adults.

Take note of this ..i heard a whimpering sound of a small boy while i was walking along the corridor heading to my 12th floor room at 2 AM. I stopped for awhile and ignored it thinking that this is the effect of too much drinking at Bourbon st.

Directions: Royal street a couple of blocks away from Bourbon st.

• doug48's Profile Photo

french quarter

the monteleon hotel is located on royal street in the heart of the french quarter. most of the attractions of the french quarter is a short walk from the hotel. monteleon is owned by prefered hotels so you can expect all of the amenities of this better chain.

Directions: french quarter.

• Monteleone is a pleasant place to stay

Staff are 4 out 5. They handled my reservations without issue. The doormen are more than happy to open the door for you. The cleaning crew fixed my room up nicely every day. Most of the staff know very little about the Internet. When I called the hotel to ask what I need to connect to the world wide web, the lady replied that all I need is the Internet. Pssshh. Same answer from a second person. I had to ask for the tech guy to find out that I can use either wireless OR a network card (the room has a LAN plug).

The room is 3 out of 5. I liked the granite in the bathroom and the fancy window curtains. The room never seemed to warm up, even when I changed the thermostat. The room and bathroom are small and cramped. I found the pillows to be uncomfortable (personal opinion). The desk with the Internet connection (LAN wire) is across the walkway from an electric outlet so people entering/exiting the room could possibly trip over my power cord. Ignore the mini-fridge entirely; there isn't room for anything and it's a hassle if you trip an auto-charge sensor. Not much counterspace in the bathroom. The room has a safe where you set your own passcode. The TV has a decent array of channels although there are several dead channels I sometimes had to surf past.

The restaurants get 3 out of 5. They look nice, overall, but are overpriced, in my opinion. The service was so-so. I was seated in the Cafe by an old lady who reminds me of Furs cafeteria workers. When I ordered my cereal and banana, I watched as the old lady wobbled over to buffet ($13), grabbed my cereal, milk, and banana off the buffet, and took it to the kitchen to have it prepared. That seemed odd. The buffet has boxed cereal, skim and regular milk, fruit, and some other breakfast items, mostly meat. The menu had an assortment of egg dishes. The other restaurant is a small, very fancy steak joint and never had a single person in it the whole time I was staying at the hotel.

Unique Quality: Amenities get 4 out of 5. The pool looked clean and safe and has a great view of the city from the rooftop. The workout room looked clean and had a decent collection of equipment. Several treadmills and a few weight machines come to mind. I didn't visit the full-service spa or use their business center but they have them.

The carousel bar gets 4 out of 5 for coolness. The central bar has a carousel design to it. The top section, like the roof of a carousel, has lights, jester faces, and fancy paintwork. The seats and bar rotate slowly around the central booze station. Quiet carousel/carnival music plays from above. The room is darkly lit and provides an interesting atmosphere for casual drinking and conversation. Small but cozy.

The architecture and decor is 4 out of 5. I love the artwork on the ceiling, scrollwork on the walls and columns, gold accent, and stonework. There are many display cases filled with antiques and artwork that add to the old-time feel of the hotel. The large, wooden hand-carved grandfather clock and the suits of medieval armor are just two examples.

The tech-ignorant staff were balanced out by the very well informed and helpful concierge (sp?) who was able to recommend restaurants, had menus for the two restaurants I asked about, and knew directions to every restaurant and scenic location I wanted to visit.

• denver662's Profile Photo

Luxury in the French Quarter

This hotel is located in the French Quarter and only 1 block from Bourbon Street. It is pricy but the service and amenities are equal to the price. I was here for a business conference so I didn’t have a chance to use most of the hotel’s amenities but they do offer all the standard things – workout room, business center, internet services, pool, concierge, spa, etc. They have a restaurant and famous rotating bar. The bar offers live jazz every evening. If your budget is not a factor then I would highly recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a very interesting history, which you can read about at...

• mistyluc's Profile Photo

Hotel Monteleone

Having spent quite a bit of time at the Montelone for various social occassions I can say it is my favorite New Orleans Hotel outside of the Fairmont which has not reopened since Katrina.
    The Monteleone is a classic French Quarter hotel that is loved by locals and written about by the likes of Ernest Hemingway. The rooms are small but elegant. It is located on Rue Royal, a great place to do some jewelry or antique shopping. It's one block to Bourbon Street so it is a quick walk back to your room once you've gotten smashed on Hurricanes, Daquiries or Hand Grenades. In fact, the French Quarter's best bar is located in the Monteleone...The Carousel Piano Bar.

Unique Quality: In the middle of most of the major sites.
    Can spot local celebrites?
    It's said to be haunted
    It is around the corner from my favorite New Orleans po-boy shop, Mena's

Directions: Rue Royal in the French Quarter

• Nice Hotel in Vieux Carre

I loved this hotel! Capote, Faulkner and Tennessee Williams stayed here quite a bit. It's one block off of Bourbon, so it's nice to be able to go out, tie one on and then walk/stagger back to your room without dealing with the Bourbon Street noise until 5 AM. People who work there are also very nice. Travelocity screwed up my billing and as soon as I caught it on my statement ( about a month later), I called the hotel's credit department and they had it resolved within a couple of hours.

• meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Perfect Location for French Quarter, beautiful Hot

Everything was amazing here, I stayed in another hotel as well and saw many. This hotel is gorgeous and a great price even during the high seasons. On Royal street, where there are wonderful cafes, restaurants and boutiques. We spent days just walking around Royal.
    One ave from Bourbon but very safe.

"steps away from the Mississippi River, Harrah's Casino, the Aquarium of the Americas, the Superdome and numerous award-winning restaurants. Step over to Bourbon Street where there's always something happening, or wander down Royal Street where balconies overhang charming antique shops housed in buildings dating back to the 1700s. See the French Quarter from a buggy, the Garden District from a streetcar, or wander the galleries, antique marts and jazz clubs on foot. All the sights and sounds that make New Orleans unforgettable are at our doorstep." from website

Unique Quality: This hotel was built in 1886, has a rooftop pool, fitness room, high speed internet, good concierge service, restuarants and cocktail lounges. "In March 2003, the International Society of Paranormal Research spent several days investigating Hotel Monteleone. While at the hotel, the team made contact with more than a dozen earthbound entities. Among them were several former employees, a man named William Wildemere who died inside the hotel of natural causes, and a boy who was much older when he died but enjoys returning to Hotel Monteleone as a 10-year-old to play hide-and-seek with another young spirit." (not sure how I feel about this, but interesting!)

Directions: French Quarter you may take a taxi directly to the hotel. Rates from the airport are $28.00 for 1-2 people traveling together or $12.00 per person for 3 or more people

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Nice Room!

The room was nice and large, although some of my friends said their rooms weren't. I may have had a "deluxe" room, where theirs were standard?

Heavy curtains blocked out the sun really well, which is important when you have been drinking until 5 AM.

A couple streets off Burbon, so not noisy at all, yet close enough to stumble home.

Bathroom included marble floor and sink area.

Bed was extra comfy.

Unique Quality: Carosel Bar - The bar in hotel lobby is circular and rotates!

Eva, the concierge is all about business. She tells it like it is and will stand for no lallygagging. LOVE HER!

• telise's Profile Photo

The BEST hotel in New Orleans!

This is not the newest hotel in the city but it's definitely the nicest! It's perfectly located in the French Quarter just one block off of Bourbon Street. Close enough to the "action" but not in the middle of it. The rooms are very comfortable and the service is perfect. My husband and I always stay here for our anniversary and it's always top-notch. Very historical and very romantic.

Unique Quality: Don't miss the Carousel Bar. The bar and barstools rotate! They also serve one of the best vodka martini's in town.

The hotel has a long history of being haunted. Several spirits roam the halls of the Monteleone, particularly the lobby and the 14th floor. On the 14th floor you may see a young boy playing in the halls in what looks to be a 19th century period costume. Look again, because that is really the ghost of Maurice Begere who died of a high fever in the hotel during a visit with his parents. In the lobby the doors to "Le Cafe" are locked each day at 2:00 pm because only breakfast and lunch are served there. However, quite often the locked doors will open and close by themselves in the late evening. Also reported are a former hotel engineer named Rhett and a hotel guest who died in the hotel named William Wildemere. See, people just keep coming back to the Monteleone!

Directions: Royal Street just a block of Canal Street in the French Quarter

• soundsgoodtome's Profile Photo

4 Star hotel in French Quarter

Unique Quality: The Monteleone is a very nice locally owned hotel with about 15 stories and a pool on the roof. It is in the heart of the French Quarter, one block from Bourbon Street. We stayed here in August, the least busy time of the year for New Orleans, and our room was only $89. During the busiest time of the year, like Mardi Gras, I imagine the same room would cost triple what we paid. The lobby is very elegantly decorated, and there is an expensive restaurant inside the hotel that we only had breakfast at once. Our stay here was great, and the location can't be better.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Fancy place

What a beautiful building. I didn't stay here, but it sure looked lavish. You can walk in even if you're not staying here and view the beauiful antique furnishings in the public areas.

Unique Quality: You can't beat the location. Check out the website for information.

Directions: Great location in French Quarter

More about Hotel Monteleone

Courtesy of Hotel Monteleone's websiteCourtesy of Hotel Monteleone's website

The carrousel bar at the Hotel Monteleone on RoyalThe carrousel bar at the Hotel Monteleone on Royal

Place to stay

by lukas_mattias

I know its been asked a million times before, but, please offer some advice on a good, clean, safe hotel near or in the French Quarter (perhaps with a free breakfast) that won't cost my kids college eduction, budget: around 100 or less if possible?

Thanks very much in advance.

by Rixie

If you're planning a Monday-Thursday visit, I see that my favorite B&B is offering a special couples getaway: 3 nights for $349, including an expanded Continental breakfast and a welcome gift.

You can find a review and a link to the website on my New Orleans page: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/38cf6/c19b6/3/

by lukas_mattias

They're booked up, I inquired...but thanks!

What about:

Royal Sonesta Hotel
Iberville Suites
Hotel Monteleone

Anyone recommend one over another?

Cheers

by Rixie

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta once, and it was quite nice. If your room overlooks Bourbon Street can be noisy, but I was so tired that it didn't bother me.

Comments