Hotel St. Marie French Quarter

Travelocity Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Perfect place for us!

I was very pleased with our stay at Hotel St. Marie. It's located in the heart of the French Quarter, right around the corner from Bourbon Street, but the noise and action don't really spill down Toulouse Street so you don't have to worry about not being able to sleep. I very much enjoyed being able to walk to just about everywhere from the hotel since it was very centrally located. Our room was large, clean and comfortable, with a nice little balcony overlooking the hotel's courtyard and pool area. There was a free Continental breakfast offered in the morning, with fresh croissants, danishes, fruits and coffee. It was definitely worth the price we paid for the room, and then some!

Unique Quality: Having breakfast by the pool in the morning was a nice way to start the day and get rid of a hangover ;o)

Directions: In the French Quarter

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

Pleasant Surprise

We only spent one night here during Mardi Gras before departing on a cruise. However, it was very clean, the beds were comfortable, and everyone we came into contact with was extremely pleasant. The furniture was older but I thought it gave character. It fit right in with the the surroundings. I loved the long dark halls and the staircases. In the bathoom thee was a door that opened to a very tiny balcony. Since there was not much of a view and no one to see....I left the doors opened that night as I was bathing. It was very relaxing. The only thing missing was a claw shaped tub. There was a bistro style room that they offered complimentary breakfast....mostly pastries, cereal etc but the pastries were good. There was a swimming pool in the courtyard area that looked nice...although the weather was still a bit to cool for swimming. It was very close to Bourbon street but without the noise. It was only a short walk to the nightlife. I would def stay here again and we got a good rate straight through the website of only $40

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Close to Bourbon, but not 'Up all night' close

Very nice place, its about 100 yards from Bourbon St. so you're close, but you can actually go to sleep before the sun comes up (if you want).

The service was excellent and they had a very nice pool area. The restaurant is being remodeled but it should be completed soon.

Don't let the price fool you. It was 3 times what we paid just 2 weeks before we went.

Unique Quality: Good pool, excellent service.

• mstinawu's Profile Photo

Location location location--AND some!

We stayed here for all nights of our 3 night trip. This is a perfect location for getting anywhere around the French Quarter. Just walk everywhere and only a block from the bustling Bourbon Street.

Directions: French Quarter

• FLVanilla's Profile Photo

Nice!!!

I like this hotel even though the front desk people act like they are better than anyone else. Everytime I request something in this hotel, the hotel personal cannot meet my requests. Last time I requested a balcony room, and they said that this could happen if I stayed in a smoking room, which is out of the question. Just so you know, this hotel has several balconies, mostly facing the courtyard. I tried to book it 1 month in advance. This hotel is part of the Valentino chain that also owns 3 other hotels in New Orleans. The other hotels they own do not have this problem.

Unique Quality: Lots of balconies and beautiful rooms with a view.

Directions: French Quarter

• nuker's Profile Photo

Hotel St Marie

This turned out to be a great location. Hotel St Marie is located on Toulouse St right off the French Quarter. Bourbon of course is very busy and loud, but once you turn on Toulouse it was quiet and a short walk (100 yards to our hotel). This hotel has all your basic amenities that you need. Some of the rooms had a balcony I think. Try and get a balcony in New Orleans as the weather is warm and the people watching is great. The hotel was very clean and the service was great. The hotel does have a bar and a small dining room.

Unique Quality: Older hotel with gas light lamps outside. Big front door, but kind of a hidden hotel. The hotel was quiet at night which was good.

Directions: Right in the heart of the French Quarter. Great, Great location.

More about Hotel St. Marie French Quarter

First Stay at the St. Marie

The clerks who run the front desk are not as friendly as they should be. I'd actually fire some of them...seriously, I would.

I rated the front desk as 'marginal" during our stay for 3 days and 4 nights.

The room was fine. Not a 5 star room by any menas, but it was adequate.

The man who was running the hotel bar was very nice and he made up for any of the short-comings of the other hotel staff.

The location of the hotel is without any doubt, it's best feature, as you can walk to any place you desire without having to have a taxi.

New Orleans is one of my most favorite places to visit and I visit it frequently, and I will stay at the Hotel St. Maire on my next return visit as well.

I go to Orleans to EAT FOOD, relax and enjoy watching the weird people.......not to say in a 5 star hotel. A bed is a bed...but I want a bed that I feel safe in, when I am in New Orleans. I feel safe at the Hotel St. Marie.

So the Hotel St. Marie fits my ticket perfect...and the prices are right, if you learn how to negotiate with them as well.

Enjoy...

Mixed Blessings

The Hotel St. Marie is a five star hotel to be sure, but you lose a star for every floor you go up; and we stayed on the fifth. The room was adequate, but my partner fell through one of the flimsy chairs, the lightbulbs kept burning out, and the water pressure was next to nill.
The front desk receptionist, let's call her Catatonia, never cracked a smile once and didn't seem the least concerned over our problems with the room. The bartenders and service in the restraunt, however, were superb, and the bell hops were helpful. Nice location, very centrally located.

Only in New Orleans!

My husband and I have be going to New Orleans every year for 12 years for our vacation. Only in New Orleans can you find such wonderful food and great hotels at any price! Even our children love to eat pancakes on the patio and swim in the pool at The Hotel St. Marie. We love the hotel because of the location. It's so close to Bourbon Street we can mix our own drinks in our room and walk on the street to listen to music! Our favorite place to eat though is the bistrot located in the hotel. Chef Ed and Hillary are wonderful Hosts. His Grits and Grillades ( a New Orleans tradition) are THE VERY BEST! So, even if you cannot get a room there, at least stop by for a great meal!

Location gives it **, otherwise a solid *.

The first 4 nights we stayed at a horrible b&b (Fairchild House), after which this place felt like heaven. First of all the location is awesome, 1 corner away from Bourbon Str. 2nd, they have an elevator which is cool. Then came the second thoughts. Do not stay on the 5th floor! The rooms do not have windows that you can open, except the few that have balconies looking at the pool. Once you turn on the a/c the dust will start your allergies right away. Remember NO was built on a swamp, so mold is everywhere. Do not eat at the restaurant, it is overpriced and the food sucks. For the money this place is ok, but as some other people mentioned it already, the staff have serious attitude problems, which you will notice in other places while in NO. (Good places to eat at: Mother's, Acme Oyster House, Gumbo Shop) The reason I gave it two stars only was that we got a room on the 5th floor in which we could not open the windows (that is just stupid.) If you don't care about the things mentioned above, this is a good choice becuase of the aweseme location in the heart of the FQ.

Tough decision

by juliagrammer

My husband and I are going to Nola at the end of August and have finally narrowed our hotel choices down to two. It's between the Place d'Armes and Hotel St. Marie. Both have a real New Orleans feel to them, both have balcony rooms available, and both have lovely courtyards with pools. St. Marie is slightly cheaper but I liked the room pics at the Place d'armes better. Has anyone stayed at both of these and feels that one is superior? It's a tough choice.

Tough Questions?

by uncledave

Speaking from a retired tour guide of 35 years, both hotels you mentioned are great. La Place d'Arms is probably the better one for convience. It is at the very heart of the F.Q. It is by Jackson Square, where everything actually started in N.O. then branched out from there. The St. Louis Cathederal, the oldest Catholic Cathederal (not church) is located. The original structure was built in 1718. Next to it the Cabildo built in 1795. On the second floor of the Cabildo is where the Louisiana Purchase was signed December 20, 1803. And next to it the Presbter, built in 1794. Both the Cabildo and Presbter are musieums run by the State of Louisiana. The Cafe du Monde Coffee stand is a block away. You can sample our chickory coffee and munch down on delicious benignets. You are only a block and a half away from Bourbon Street, the night life street. And make sure you take a City Tour of New Orleans. Best way to see the city.

RE: RE: Tough decision

by juliagrammer

We did end up choosing the Place d'Armes. It seems so romantic and- like you mentioned-so close to everything. We're so excited about our trip and will definately be taking some tours!

Comments