Lamothe House

621 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States

Lamothe House Hotel
Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• Delightful Hotel

July 15-19,1012, We enjoyed our visit to this hotel. The rooms were small but cute and clean. The employees were very helpful and accomidating. Sandy found places for us and was very informative. Our only real problem was that pool was broken all four days and no one made an effort to fix it. The weather was hot ,of course ,and and a dip would have been great. The decor was 1800 period and very nice. I took many pictures of the property. I would recommenmd this property because the location is perfect . Two blocks from Bourbon Street and two blocks from the French Market. Best place for trinkets to take home. They offered a continental breakfast and had coffee available all day . The staff was friendly with fresh towels everyday. We will return to The Lamothe House next visit. Hopefully the pool will be fixed.

Unique Quality: The folliage was remarkable. The pool and hot tub were not usable. Pool filter was broken. No one bothered to fix it after 4 days still out.

Directions: Behind the hotel there were many bars and restaurants easily accessable by foot. We went everywhere by foot or we took the trolley, a short 2 block walk. $1.25 perperson or $3 a day for rides.

• Didn't Love it

We were suppose to be in the courtyard and yet got bumped to the slave quarters/guest house. The door to the room was not very secure being that it was near the exit of the hotel. The bed was terrible and squeaky. There was no tv or mini fridge just a AC window unit in there and a table that was very far from sturdy. The room was dark and drab and the carpets seemed super funky, I did not like walking around on them with bare feet. It also seemed moldy & damp in there until we turned on the AC. The pool looked scummy at the bottom like it hadn't been cleaned in a while and you had to turn on the heater to warm up the jacuzzi and wait for it. Courtyard was okay.

Unique Quality: Prime location for being near the Marigny and Esplanade Ave. Parking was not secure but it was nearby and only $15. Staff seemed nice and brought us fresh towels which is standard. The bathroom was clean but very minimal/basic, nothing charming about it really. Decent water pressure. This is merely a place to crash when partying in the city. If you do stay there, I recommend staying in the main house or the courtyard not the guest house.

Directions: Edge of French quarter near the Marigny

• Extreme Disappointment!

I stayed at this place with some members of my family for some quality time. The place LOOKS very nice, with it's antiques, and the fact that it's one of the oldest buildings near the quarter...but don't be deceived. The first problem we encountered was that there was NO elevator and the stair cases are seriously difficult to wind around when you have heavy luggage, and due to the understaffed crew, it's very hard to find someone available to assist you.

The electricity went out in our room the 1st 3 nights in a row. Each following day they had to bring in the electrician to attempt to fix it. After the 3rd night they just gave up, and resolved the problem by running a heavy duty electrical cord from the outside hallway, under our main door so we could at least watch TV, listen to music, or charge our cell phone, or laptop (but only a couple at a time). They did promise us a discount for the 3 nights we didn't have access to any outlets but that promise was never met at check-out.

Every evening when we returned to the room, the balcony door (to the SHARED balcony) would be wide open even if we locked it with no real explanation from the front desk other than "we're working on it."

I had requested a wake up call and never received it. When I awoke late I called the front desk to ask why and all they could tell me was "We just don't know why, but we are unable to ring through to your room." Needless to say we didn't request for another one.

The most interesting problem we had was when my 63 yr old mother (who had her own separate room in the courtyard) woke up, went into her cooler, began to eat a number of her grapes when she noticed that some of them had been nibbled on by a small creature. Upon further investigation she discovered that her other items and baggies in the cooler had been chewed through and the big wow factor was that she also found (what she hoped was) mice poop all over the bottom of the cooler as well :) She is still hoping it wasn't a rat that crept into her room and only a mouse.

By my final evening there, my mother and my uncle had already gone home. Some dear friends of mine invited me to spend my last night at their home, after hearing about the issues at the Lamothe . So I quickly packed my suitcase and scurried down to the lobby to check the hell out of there.

It took the under-trained and hostile night clerk an HOUR to check me out. Due to her severe lack of experience and hospitality I was forced to sit alone with her and my luggage while she ignored me, gave me rude glances, and spoke on the phone with a co-worker in an attempt to figure out what she was supposed to do. We were never given a discount. We were overcharged for a room key that was never missing and my mother had returned earlier that day.

All in all...the WORST hotel experience I have EVER had.

If you want a positive hotel experience in or near the quarter I recommend The Le Richelieu, Hotel St. Marie, Hotel Provincial, and if you need a cheaper stay & don't mind a lack of elevators The Frenchman Hotel.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Lamothe House - Room 118

My room was not part of the main house. Instead, you walk through the house, through the courtyard to the series of buildings in the back referred to as "the servant's quarters". Since the house was built in the 1830's, that may be the euphamism for slave quarters, but I don't know that. But I digress...

Tall door with low door knob - opens with the big old fashioned key. I love that stuff! Inside, the room appears slightly shabby, but is absolutely charming. I immediately fell in love with the bed - very-high headboard with cherubs in bas relief and ornate carvings. The room also had a window-unit air conditioner, a plug-in heater (which worked very well), and antique chair, side table, and dresser. A small tv was on a stand by the door.

The bathroom was old, but clean. Remember that the plumbing in the French Quarter is very old - the water will run a reddish-brown for a minute before turning clear. No big deal.

I loved staying here - the hotel and rooms were absolutely charming, and it did indeed feel like you were staying in someone's home. The location is perfect, and I look forward to staying here again on my next visit to New Orleans.

Directions: Esplanade Ave, steps from the French Quarter.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Like Grandma's Guestroom

I was thrilled with my stay in the Lamothe House Hotel. The hotel is perfectly situated on Esplanade Avenue, just steps from the French Quarter, but remarkably quiet. The house itself is very charming and filled with antiques. I love that smell of old wood when you walk into an old house - since this house was built in the 1830's, it qualifies.

Rooms are in the large main house, or in the separate servant's quarters in the back of the courtyard (that is where I stayed). Small fish pond, swimming pool, and a heated jacuzzi are all available for guest use.

This is NOT for those who want very upscale, modern lodging. This is more like staying in your grandma's guestroom - big, heavy, wood beds, heavy quilted linens, - maybe a little shabby, but very friendly. I loved the furniture (see my next tip on the room). Breakfast is included in the dining room of the main house - nothing special, but will get you through until lunch.

Unique Quality: LOVED the atmosphere. The staff are very friendly, and are happy to offer suggestions for activities. The location is perfect, and this hotel is very charming. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Directions: On Esplanade Ave in the Faubourg Marigny area. Cross Esplanade & you are in the Frenchman area (lots of music clubs), and cross again and you are in the French Quarter, by the French Market and the US Mint. 4 blocks from riverfront streetcar line.

More about Lamothe House

We liked it!

by TripAdvisor Member NYMami

I was kind of scared after reading some of the reviews, but have been to NOLA before and preferred this location above all others. It wasn't bad at all. The room was basic and nothing fancy, but not filthy or anything. The staff was very kind and welcoming and helpful. I did not in any way feel unsafe here. If you know anything about the area, it's in the Marigny section on the edge of the quarter. Very close to cool hangouts like Checkpoint Charlie and Mollys at the Market. Bourbon Street is not my scene at all!!!
Anyway, when I return to NOLA I'll be returning to the Lamothe House Hotel.

Quaint and Charming

by TripAdvisor Member Finley90

We stayed 3 nights. We found the staff to be very helpful and the place charming. Yes it is old and is nothing like the new modern hotels. The location is wonderful. You can walk to almost any place in the quarter. The parking is fine. We stayed in a second floor suite. The only warning I can give is if you are handicapped this is NOT the place for you. The doors are narrow and you have to climb stairs to register, and eat the continental breakfast. If you are looking for a place that is like the New Orleans of the past, I would highly recommend Lamothe House. If you need modern decor and elevators etc. then you need to stay somewhere else. My family would stay there again. Was a wonderful experience.

Great Experience

When I checked in I was given a suite instead of the standard room at no additional charge. For someone travelling by himself the room was large with charming Victorian antiques. I faced Esplanade Avenue so it could be noisy at times. Only a 2 minute walk to Faubourg Marigny area with great nightlife ( Snugg Harbor) and restaurants
(Marigny Brasserie). A 5 minute walk to the trolley which takes you to the river side of the French Quarter or you can walk to the quarter in 10 to 15 minutes. I prefer my breakfast outside my hotel like Cafe Du Monde or Elizabeth's but there was OJ and pastries each morning. Overall a safe and convienant location. Avoid if you prefer modern amenites with cookie cutter style hotels.

Cute place, great pool

I stayed in a small courtyard room with 2 twin beds. The toilet ran, and the bathroom door would not lock but the room was clean and charming. The pool was awesome and never closed so you can swim at 3:00 AM as long as you keep it quiet. They have free gated parking. If you are looking for an old New Orleans style place...this is it.

It was OK, BUT it did have its issues.

by TripAdvisor Member DIVAGIRLUSA

I made my reservations based on these reviews.

I informed the person when making my reservations that I did NOT want a room in the alley and I know of the plumbing problems that others have written about on these reviews. Jessica took my reservation (very sweet lady) and booked me into a room in the Marigny House for $89 a night (its the house behind the main house on Kelerac St). I was booked into room M7 (or #7)-its a suite w/ a king size bed. All the places in this house have private entrances. But this suite is in the front of th e house so its facing Kelerac St. (pretty nice). The only other larger room in this house is M8-I do not know if its a suite or not. Since it was my husbands birthday, Jessica made sure that we had a bottle of champagne upon check-in, it wasnt in the room but they did bring it to us. The other rooms in this house are very small based on the diagram that was given to me of hte property.

Lets talk about the room, shall we?? Its not a huge room but its a good size and pretty clean. It did have a day bed in the front room as well as a king size bed...WARNING, THESE ARE THE SQUEEKIEST BEDS IN THE WORLD-WE DID NOT SLEEP WELL HERE AT ALL. EVERYTIME YOU MOVE THE BED LOUDLY SQUEEKS-EVEN THE DAY BED SQUEEKS. Also, the 4 poster bed had one of the posts broken on it. The person in the room next to ours told me that the bed in his room also had a bad broken post and squeeked too. The toilet did run off and on all the time. I did complain about it but knew that nothing would be done and of course, nothing was.

Now, if you are weak in the stomach this may freak you out (it freaked me out). There are pocket doors that seperate the front room from the bedroom. DO NOT CLOSE THEM!!! If you attempt this, you will see that the doors are covered with black MOLD!!! I didnt reveal this to the staff, primarily because I knew nothing would be done about it. I dont even want to think about when the filters in the 2 airconditioner units were cleaned. But, I did feel that this is a MAJOR HEALTH CONCERN and it made me feel VERY uncomfortable the whole time I was there.

The parking is pretty good and I didnt have any issues with it. The parking lot is located one building past the house. And at night it is locked and a key is provided to you in the event that you need to get in there and they are watching with security cameras, so I felt pretty safe leaving my new Explorer there.

The pool was nice, warm and well clorinated. Its located in the courtyard at the main house across the street. Around the pool is some lush landscaping of banana trees and other tropical plants. The pool is also open 24 hours a day and there are extra clean towels located at the pool for your use.

I hope that this review helps someone out..

Good in Main House

by TripAdvisor Member DACPM

Having read the other reviews, I was wondering how our visit would go. Since we booked and was given a nice big room on the top floor, we were quite happy with it. The room had a separate drawing room which contained a sofa, chair, the TV etc and we also had a bedroom with doors that you could close between the 2 rooms to block out the light and any noise that drifted up the stairs from the main office on the floor below.

The breakfast was quite good (nice croissants).

I found the pool to be too warm altho I was told that it is not heated, so it was just the hot weather that was causing it to be so warm (like bath water).

Quite a good location - the east side of the French quarter. The downtown area is adjacent to the west side, so if you want to be near the big malls, you may wish to book elsewhere.

The room seemed clean enough, so had no problems there and found the manager to be quite accommodating.

Most rooms are up at least one flight (our's was up two fairly long flights of stairs), and you are responsible to get your own luggage to your room, so you need to take that into account.

So, depending what you are looking for in a room (yes, there were lots of antiques around), this may work for you.

1870 Banana Courtyard, Lamothe House and area

by romrai

We are going to NO early November. Thinking of staying at Banana Courtyard or Lamothe House. We are concerned about the area around it (Esplanade and N. Rampart). Is it a safe area to walk around....especially in the evening? For those who know both places, what would be your choice. Thanks for any info in advance.

by zuriga

Why not check out both places on www.tripadvisor.com to see what other people thought of the two hotels. That's a fairly reliable site.

by romrai

Already did that first. There is conflicting reports to safety in the area. Banana Courtyard is also near St. Louis 1, which has a really bad rep.

by zuriga

Personally, I wouldn't risk it but we all have different levels of comfort. Hopefully, someone will come along who knows New Orleans better than I do. I was there quite a few years ago and stayed outside the French Quarter and near the Convention Center.

by dostagirl76

Your question about walking in the area is a good one. I would NOT suggest walking at night (even dusk) to / from these locations. If you want to go out at night, get a taxi to and from. Not that expensive to keep yourselves safe! Other than that, I would say that staying in a B&B is a wonderful way to experience your time in NOLA. (Haven't been to either of these to give you any insite).

Comments