Lanaux Mansion

house at Algiershouse at Algiers

Old Ursuline ConventOld Ursuline Convent

Central Grocery entranceCentral Grocery entrance

Pirate’s Alley Café signPirate’s Alley Café sign

How safe is the Burgundy Street area?

by CBCarroll

My fiance and I are getting married in New Orleans the first week of May, and are looking for a place just off Bourbon Street to stay. We may have found one in the 1900 block of Burgundy Street, but, I wanted to make sure it is a safe area first. We plan to drive down from Arkansas (in an F-250) so we need to be able to park. I love the thought of staying in a house as opposed to a hotel, but, if it's not safe, I'd rather stay in a hotel.

Also, rather than pay an officiant to marry us, can we get married in the courthouse by a Justice of the Peace? And if so, how much does that usually cost?

We plan to stay about a week, so I want to keep our costs fairly low so we'll have more money to spend!

Thanks!

by Rixie

Since you like the idea of staying in a house, take a look at my favorite B&B in New Orleans, La Maison Marigny (www.lamaisonmarigny.com), on the quiet end of Bourbon Street, near Esplanade. We've always felt safe walking around there. Breakfast is included, which is a savings, and they also have special packages. You can see my review of the place on my New Orleans page.

Parking anywhere in New Orleans is a challenge, but we've always managed to find street parking near there for our rental car.

by bocmaxima

That's the Marigny. It's a good neighborhood. Kind of hip and up-and-coming. Honestly, I wouldn't go walking around alone late at night there, but I also wouldn't do that in most areas of New Orleans. If you're accompanied by someone, or in a group, you should be fine. It's only a couple of blocks to the French Quarter, and there will likely be other tourists and pedestrians walking around, since there are several B&Bs and hotels around there.

I found this on Google and it seems fairly comprehensive. It looks like the license will run you $27.50 in Orleans Parish. You just need to buy a marriage license and the clerk can do it for you.
Also note, on that second link, the holidays link. Louisiana and Orleans Parish have some non-traditional holidays that they observe, so make sure you don't romp down there (Canal Street's a bit of a hike from the Marigny) when the office is closed.

by CBCarroll

Thanks so much for your reply and the links! I'll check 'em out now...

by CBCarroll

Thanks! I don't know that we want to stay at a B&B, but I'll check it out anyway. My fiance likes to be able to get up and wander around the house in his undies while making coffee, so it might be best if we stay in a hotel or a house! LOL

Travel Tips for New Orleans

Jackson Square Weddings

by BluecatCanoe

New Orleans is a wedding destination. There are weddings all around Jackson Square and in Pirates Alley. See New Orleans Weddings for details on how to elope to New Orleans. www.figstreet.com/weddings/

In four days, we didn't even...

by BuickMackane

In four days, we didn't even begin to scratch the surface of all the exciting things there are to see and do in New Orleans. And it certainly wasn't for lack of trying, believe me. Every night I collapsed with muscles I didn't even know I had aching! So, the most important things to say are, STAY LONGER and LEAVE THE KIDS AT HOME!! New Orleans is one big non-stop sensory overload. There's so much music to hear that you don't know which way to turn your ears as you walk down the street. There are so many good restaurants that it's hard to pick a favorite! There are so many tasty alcoholic delights that you probably won't remember your favorite meal the next morning anyway!

This vacation is long ago, but...

by chatzchen

This vacation is long ago, but I still remember very clear the French Quarter.
We stayed there and all the bars and nightlife were great.
Also don't miss to make a trip on the Missisippi River with one of the 'old fashioned' boats and drink a strawbery daiquiry (spelling???). I still have an idea of the taste.

New Orleans Tip

by donovanel

My first trip to New Orleans was FANTASTIC...I had no idea what to expect, but I fell in love the very first moment I hit the French Quarter. I remember the day this picture was taken, was after spending the better half of the afternoon at Pat O'Brien's and then at a little shop, I convinced the owner to let me have this wig for free...I had always wanted one as a child (seriously) at Summerfest back home in Wisconsin, but my parents would never get me one :(
So I finally got my sparkly wig...and somehow in New Orleans, you can make it work!

Try and Get Lost... In a Group.

by Jmill42

Some of my coolest times in New Orleans have been just walking around with friends, with no general plan or direction. While I don't advise most people to walk alone around New Orleans, in a group, especially during the day, you are bound to come upon some great attractions. There are ALWAYS performers and other things that will catch your eye that you would have NEVER found on a website or tourist "to-do" list. These performers just happened to be passing through and we were seriously lucky to have caught their show. There is another picture in my "Cultural Tips" section with more information on the performers. What an acrobatic show!

Comments