Le Richelieu

1234 Chartres St, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States

Le Richelieu in the French Quarter
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• Wonderful hotel in the French Quarter

We loved our stay at Le Richleau! We were there from June 12-18, 2010 and it was incredibly hot outside but found the A/C to work well in our room (unlike some other posts). We booked early and got a great deal on a lovely room. The only complaint would be that the walls are thin so if you have noisy neighbors, you will hear them. We were lucky and didn't have this problem but another couple we were with did. There is a very nice mini fridge in the room as well as a flat screen tv. I was expecting some bugs and mildew but found NONE no matter how hard I looked! We were all very happy with our stay, the free parking, and the lovely pool. If we go back to NOLA, we'll be sure to stay here again!

Directions: One block from the French Market, very safe and quiet area

• Great value, service and location

My husband and I stayed there two weeks ago, for four nights, for a friend's wedding. The special wedding party rate was $90/night, and the regular rate was only about $110/night. Free parking with 24-hour security; walk right from the parking lot into the back hotel door. This was a GREAT feature! Quiet courtyard with a small pool, which we didn't use but many of our friends enjoyed. Small, comfortable hotel bar where the bartender mixed a great hurricane the REAL way (no mix). Also a hotel restaurant; we didn't eat there, but some friends did and were satisfied. In the mornings, breakfast is served in the courtyard.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We were at first put in a ground-floor room on the street side, with non-operable windows. The ventilation system seemed good enough (quiet air conditioning!), but the hotel is old, and even though it seemed very clean, there was a slight smell of old smoke that was probably impossible to get out of the rugs and furniture. I realized after the first night that I needed fresh outside air in order to sleep well. We asked to move, and the desk attendant cheerfully took the time to find us a room that met our preferences - upper floor, operable windows, on the courtyard side. The staff was also very helpful with directions and recommendations for places to eat, even calling restaurants for us to check their hours.

I would definitely stay there again and I do recommend this hotel. This will be the first hotel I check when I return to NOLA. If you go, I recommend asking for a 2nd-floor or higher room with operable windows, especially if you are sensitive to indoor air quality. Street side or courtyard will both be a little noisy in the morning, whether from traffic or from people gathering in the courtyard. This is a city hotel, after all! But courtyard is quiet at night with the windows open.

As far as I'm concerned, the location couldn't be beat - only 1/2 block from Decatur Street in the quieter, less touristy section of the French Quarter (northeast side). Every morning we walked out the back parking lot and just a few yards to get wonderful coffee at EnVie coffee shop (corner Barracks and Decatur). GREAT Cajun/Creole food at Coop's Place (bar) on Decatur, a block and a half from the hotel.

Unique Quality: HUGE walk-in closets. Small refrigerator in every room. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great location in a quiet section of the French Quarter.

Directions: French Quarter

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

Best Value Lodging in the French Quarter

This hotel has 86 rooms (standard and suites) individually decorated in French colonial style. There's an outdoor swimming pool and a small cafe/lounge. 2nd floor rooms facing Barracks street have a common wrap around balcony - a convenient spot for people watching during Mardi Gras.

The rooms are bright and airy. Receptionists are friendly and helpful. There's free wireless internet access in the hotel but reception may be spotty depending on where your room is. However, there's a cafe/bar next door along Barracks street where I saw people hanging out with their laptops during non-peak hours.

Overall it's been a good experience and I would recommend this hotel to visitors due to the quiet edge of the French Quarter location, moderate prices, and free self parking lot.

Unique Quality: This is the only hotel in the French Quarter with a FREE self parking lot for guests. Other hotels in the area have valet parking and costs around $20 per day.

The location is on the eastern end of the French Quarter which mean easy access from/to Interstate I-10 and is in a less noisy area than being on Bourbon Street.

This hotel can be reserved at a discounted rate if called in from any of the Louisiana Visitor Centers.

Little known fact: Paul McCartney once stayed at this hotel for 2 months. The suite that he stayed in has been renamed after him.

Directions: Eastern end of French Quarters on Chartres and Barracks streets.

• Yantsu's Profile Photo

L'hotel Le Richelieu dans le...

L'hotel Le Richelieu dans le French Quarter. Pas cher (environ 100$ la nuit), piscine, stationnement, restaurant. Personnel sympatique, situé à l'écart du brouhaha de la rue Bourbon mais d'où tout se fait facilement à pieds. Possibilité d'avoir un réfrigérateur dans la chambre.

More about Le Richelieu

Le Richelieu -- good value for your money

The Saints were playing at home when I went looking for what otherwise would have been great Papa Noel rates at higher-end properties like the Fairmont; I chose Le Richelieu for two reasons: the price ($115/night -- far less of a price gouging than other FQ hotels that weekend) and the location (quiet and relatively tourist-free part of town, but an easy walk to everything else). The staff provided me with a warm greeting each time I approached. Really great customer service in general. I had a large room on the third floor. The bed was large and comfortable, the writing desk/drawers/TV were garden-variety hotel amenities. I liked the wall color but not the mirrors on one wall that were there, I'm assuming, to make the room look larger. (I tend to appreciate the coziness of a smaller room; I guess some folks like to feel they are in a suite when they aren't.) There was an immense walk-in closet with a mini-fridge. Next to that, and immediately to the right upon entry to the room, was the very clean bathroom. Unlike other people who have posted here, I didn't find the room to be dirty or smelly or otherwise unpleasant. But then, it's really my view that "smells" and cleanliness or lack thereof are much more "tomato/tomahto" individual things, rather than tangible "the TV didn't work" problems.

Great Hotel, Staff and Location

We stayed at the Le Richelieu in February and had a great stay. There were twelve of us on a long weekend and everyone had a wonderful stay.
The staff was the best! Very helpful and friendly. They arranged tours and made very good recommendations for places to visit and eat. We extended for two additional days and moved to a suite. The location worked very well as we walked to the "busy" end of the French Quarter to offset the great food available in N O. We will return to Le Richelieu.

Great location, not frillls hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sf123

We spent 4 nights at Le Richelieu - 2 days pre and post cruise late January/early February of this year. I would give this hotel a so-so rating. The price and location were great! However, this is definitely a no-frills hotel. A coffee maker in the room would have been a very welcome addition! The worst part was the cigarete smoke smell in everything - the lobby, the towels, bed linens - yuck! However, we did not change hotels on our return from the cruise, so it was something we just put up with. I don't think we could have got a better hotel for the price and location. I would recommend this hotel only to those who are very price - conscious.

dark and smelly!

After spending a wonderful night at a Fairmont hotel in another city, let me just say that this was a major leap down! The hotel smells bad.
Our room smelled heavily of mold and cigarette smoke. We stayed there for well over a week yet we were put into a tiny sub-par room on the second floor. The door to the room didn't seem to lock securely and we didn't like the fact that we had to turn over our key to the hotel staff everytime we wanted to leave the hotel. The cleaning staff didn't do a great job and it looks like certain parts of the room (behind all pieces of furniture) hadn't been cleaned in a year. The rooms are in a severe need of FULL renovations. I had a difficult time charging my cell phone because the power outlets were not polarized, or were extremely worn out so the plug would not stay in. The hotel staff members weren't the friendliest.. I think people mistake their snooty attitudes for friendliness. The only good thing about this hotel (giving it 2 points, instead of 1) was the location. It was quiet, yet near many major attractions.

A perfect time

by TripAdvisor Member TashaLin

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite in December, 2004 for a family trip - The Mom, 2 Daughters and a Son - A celebration for our Mom's 80th birthday. The hotel staff was wonderful. The rooms were perfect for a family. Lots of room and especially closet room. And a full size refrigerator. And having the self parking so convenient was a real plus! Would definitely stay here again!

Okay -- but

by TripAdvisor Member MissKitty

I would love to have given this hotel five stars, but there were so many little things that were disappointing. First of all, the staff was great. The on-site, free parking is wonderful. The location of the hotel is perfect -- at the quiet end of the French Quarter, yet near many overlooked and fascinating sights, such as the Ursuline Convent, the old restaurants on Decatur (Tujaque's, Cafe Sbisa, Central Grocery, etc.), the French Market, and Irene's Cuisine (our favorite).

We were in town on a quiet weekend, and were upgraded to the Paul McCartney Suite, which was quite nice. Very spacious, a full kitchen, decent bathroom, separate bedroom, and a full balcony that overlooked Chartres Street. We paid $175, which is about half of the normal charge for that suite.

However, Paul McCartney must have stayed there many years ago, because the room hasn't been upgraded in over a decade. There is no place to plug in a laptop and get online, except by perching on the side of the bed and balancing it on one knee. The carpeting was too dingy for us to walk around barefoot or in socks, and there was no microwave, coffee maker, or any utensils at all in the kitchen, which made it rather useless. Room service was fast and reasonably priced, but the food was limited to breakfast and sandwiches. The bar downstairs was nice and cozy, but the bartender seemed more interested in flirting with the single women than in serving the boring old married couple at the bar.
While the balcony was great, we had to climb through a window to get to it, and there were no chairs or anything out there, so it wasn't much of a perk.

For the same price, we could have gotten a full suite at the Windsor Court, and I'm sure many other hotels. We weren't unhappy, but I was really hoping for much more, and with so many choices in New Orleans, I doubt that we'll go back here again.

French Quarter Hotels/Motels with FREE Parking and Access to My Bicycle

by Eastender67

So far, after reading some posts here, I've seen only Le Richelieu Hotel (1234 Chartres) that offers FREE parking for its customers. I also want to have access to my bicycle (which I carry along on all out-of-town trips) and hope to have daily access to the bike as my old knees are not so good for walking too far any more.
Do any of you good folks have some advice/tips/suggested hotels for me? I hope to stay for a few days and, if things go well, come back more often.
Thanks.