Le Richelieu

See Amenities

Wonderful hotel in the French Quarter

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 22, 2010

We loved our stay at Le Richleau! We were there from June 12-18, 2010 and it was incredibly hot outside but found the A/C to work well in our room (unlike some other posts). We booked early and got a great deal on a lovely room. The only complaint would be that the walls are thin so if you have noisy neighbors, you will hear them. We were lucky and didn't have this problem but another couple we were with did. There is a very nice mini fridge in the room as well as a flat screen tv. I was expecting some bugs and mildew but found NONE no matter how hard I looked! We were all very happy with our stay, the free parking, and the lovely pool. If we go back to NOLA, we'll be sure to stay here again!

Directions: One block from the French Market, very safe and quiet area

Great value, service and location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed there two weeks ago, for four nights, for a friend's wedding. The special wedding party rate was $90/night, and the regular rate was only about $110/night. Free parking with 24-hour security; walk right from the parking lot into the back hotel door. This was a GREAT feature! Quiet courtyard with a small pool, which we didn't use but many of our friends enjoyed. Small, comfortable hotel bar where the bartender mixed a great hurricane the REAL way (no mix). Also a hotel restaurant; we didn't eat there, but some friends did and were satisfied. In the mornings, breakfast is served in the courtyard.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We were at first put in a ground-floor room on the street side, with non-operable windows. The ventilation system seemed good enough (quiet air conditioning!), but the hotel is old, and even though it seemed very clean, there was a slight smell of old smoke that was probably impossible to get out of the rugs and furniture. I realized after the first night that I needed fresh outside air in order to sleep well. We asked to move, and the desk attendant cheerfully took the time to find us a room that met our preferences - upper floor, operable windows, on the courtyard side. The staff was also very helpful with directions and recommendations for places to eat, even calling restaurants for us to check their hours.

I would definitely stay there again and I do recommend this hotel. This will be the first hotel I check when I return to NOLA. If you go, I recommend asking for a 2nd-floor or higher room with operable windows, especially if you are sensitive to indoor air quality. Street side or courtyard will both be a little noisy in the morning, whether from traffic or from people gathering in the courtyard. This is a city hotel, after all! But courtyard is quiet at night with the windows open.

As far as I'm concerned, the location couldn't be beat - only 1/2 block from Decatur Street in the quieter, less touristy section of the French Quarter (northeast side). Every morning we walked out the back parking lot and just a few yards to get wonderful coffee at EnVie coffee shop (corner Barracks and Decatur). GREAT Cajun/Creole food at Coop's Place (bar) on Decatur, a block and a half from the hotel.

Unique Quality: HUGE walk-in closets. Small refrigerator in every room. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great location in a quiet section of the French Quarter.

Directions: French Quarter

virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

Best Value Lodging in the French Quarter

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 8, 2007

This hotel has 86 rooms (standard and suites) individually decorated in French colonial style. There's an outdoor swimming pool and a small cafe/lounge. 2nd floor rooms facing Barracks street have a common wrap around balcony - a convenient spot for people watching during Mardi Gras.

The rooms are bright and airy. Receptionists are friendly and helpful. There's free wireless internet access in the hotel but reception may be spotty depending on where your room is. However, there's a cafe/bar next door along Barracks street where I saw people hanging out with their laptops during non-peak hours.

Overall it's been a good experience and I would recommend this hotel to visitors due to the quiet edge of the French Quarter location, moderate prices, and free self parking lot.

Unique Quality: This is the only hotel in the French Quarter with a FREE self parking lot for guests. Other hotels in the area have valet parking and costs around $20 per day.

The location is on the eastern end of the French Quarter which mean easy access from/to Interstate I-10 and is in a less noisy area than being on Bourbon Street.

This hotel can be reserved at a discounted rate if called in from any of the Louisiana Visitor Centers.

Little known fact: Paul McCartney once stayed at this hotel for 2 months. The suite that he stayed in has been renamed after him.

Directions: Eastern end of French Quarters on Chartres and Barracks streets.

Yantsu's Profile Photo

L'hotel Le Richelieu dans le...

by written on August 24, 2002

L'hotel Le Richelieu dans le French Quarter. Pas cher (environ 100$ la nuit), piscine, stationnement, restaurant. Personnel sympatique, situé à l'écart du brouhaha de la rue Bourbon mais d'où tout se fait facilement à pieds. Possibilité d'avoir un réfrigérateur dans la chambre.

Nearby Le Richelieu

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

New Orleans Travel Forum

Need advice about New Orleans, Louisiana? Visit the Travel Forum for New Orleans and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Orleans hotel reviews

Garden District
Night Safety.
Cemeteries
Things to Do
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!"
French Market
Cat's Meow
Tours
House of Blues
Nightlife
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
Preservation Hall