Marriott Convention Center New Orleans

Lafayette Cemetery #1Lafayette Cemetery #1

books at Garden District Book Shopbooks at Garden District Book Shop

House boat hire

by mardy007

can you hire a house boat from NO for a few days & roughly how much would it cost? Can you also hire a skipper

Re: House boat hire

by bocmaxima

Not really. The Mississippi is a somewhat dangerous and unattractive river, so there's not a lot of pleasure boating by small craft out there. Certainly no house boats. The other side of the equation is Lake Ponchatrain, where you can rent boats, but not houseboats. I'm not sure of any place in Louisiana where you can rent a houseboat. And I'm really not sure why that is.

A lot of boating in the New Orleans area is either pontoon boats and other light craft going in to Lake Ponchatrain and the bayous and swamps surrounding New Orleans to fish, swamp tours to the south of the city, or larger craft going out into the Gulf for deep sea fishing.

Re: House boat hire

by goodfish

Just googling the topic, out of curiosity, does bring up one or two rentals such as this one:

I'll echo the previous poster though that the lower Mississippi is a dangerous piece of water to navigate. New Orleans being a major shipping port sees heavy commercial large-craft traffic and I'll agree - it's just not the prettiest stretch of the river. Houseboating is more popular on the upper Mississippi where the river is narrower and commercial traffic lighter. Information I'm reading indicates that navigation of the lower involves superb map-reading skills and some technical equipment.

I'm seeing some rentals in the Louisiana bayou areas - which I would think might be more safe and interesting as long as swimming wasn't in the program. Not sure I'd swim in most of the Mississippi either - currents, undertow and pollution would all be a problem.

Travel Tips for New Orleans

Eat, drink, and be merry!

by DanielDiNicola

My favorite thing to do in New Orleans is walk up and down Bourbon Street with a drink in hand. There's music everywhere, and thus dancing or even a just a little shuffle can catch on among groups easily in the street. So keep moving, and keep drinking--that's good advice for many.

I can't say it enough--get some food other than McDonald's while you're there. You'll be so pleased with the service as well as the quality! People I met were generally fun-loving tourists also out to have a good time, but one of those tourists that I met was Raven Symone (IMDB her--well known for her start on the Cosby Show)! Unfortunately my camera had died by the time we met, so instead of a photo, I happily welcomed a hug :D

New Orleans, is just different

by tompt

New Orleans is just different from all the other american cities. It is more lifely, but also more strange....

In a shop window we found this soap.
It is called: Wash Away Your Sins.

Where else would you find things like this??

Get off Bourbon Street. Visit...

by static1

Get off Bourbon Street. Visit the rest of the French Quarter, the Marigny, Uptown etc. There are cool bars all over the place. Walking out of my favorite bar and watching the sun rise over the Mississippi.

a quiet street is never far away

by richiecdisc

One thing that was planned to a degree was when we arrived in town. We knew that a week later and it would be in the middle of the city's famed Jazz Fest. Next to Mardi Gras, the busiest time in NO. Rooms would be booked out and in general it would be a zoo. So, when we drove into town on what we assumed would be a lazy Sunday morning we were none too happy to run into a wall of traffic. I made one pass through the madness and got myself outside of the heart of the French Quarter. I saw a small street just outside of the main part of town that looked fairly empty and was glad to find a spot in a lot for $10 for the day. All the other lots we'd seen were charging double that and were full to boot. As chance would have it, there was a little restaurant right next to the lot which was busy, had local dishes with according prices, and besides we were starved. We had a couple of good meals before walking into the madness. As it turned out, it was the French Quarter Festival-evidently the third busiest time of the season in NO. Locals told us it was a more fun and a better time than Jazz Fest. There were bands playing right in the street on most corners right in the main part of the Quarter but surprisingly many of the streets slightly further afield were completely empty which made for a good photo taking day. I guess most people were there for the music!

Western Union Telegraph Building

by VeronicaG

Most of us have heard of Samuel F. B. Morse, inventor of the telegraph, but perhaps you are like me and didn't realize he first wanted to give his new invention to the Republic of Texas in 1838. When Morse approached the powers that be, they never replied to his generous offer.

Nevertheless, the first telegraph office was opened in Marshall, Texas in 1854. Connections extended to New Orleans via Shreveport and with Alexandria, Louisiana and Natchez, Mississippi.

The Texas and New Orleans Telegraph Company was chartered in 1856 and constructed lines from Galveston to Antonio and Austin, but it was six years before it had a connection to New Orleans. These first two telegraph companies eventually merged.

Comments