555 Canal Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States

Booking.com Orbitz.com Marriott.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Right near the action

Home base for the conference was the New Orleans Marriott. This is in a great spot - right at the edge of the French Quarter, within a 5 minute walk of the Riverfront, Harrah's, and Riverwalk Marketplace. We arrive right after noon, and I was able to get into the room that early. Rooms are fairly standard, and nicely lit by the daylight. They did a good job keeping it clean throughout my stay. Beds were comfortable, and there was room to spread out a little.

The elevator system is a little interesting. You type your floor into a keypad, and it tells you which elevator to wait for. Works well, except for times of heavy traffic with the conventions. Luckily, I was not too far up, and did the stairs a few times instead.

The amenities I got to use were mostly in the lobby - there is a Starbucks and a small gift shop where you can pick up some small essentials and snacks (although at a ridiculous price.) There are plenty of gift shops in the immediate area if you prefer. There's also an Arbys right next store for a quick fast food option. The bar area is fairly expansive, and they have various happy hour specials throughout the week (including $5 Hurricanes on Thursday!) Concierge is helpful with dinner and tour options.

Not the fanciest hotel I've stayed at, but this was a good choice.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Marriott Rewards & Convenient to French Quarter

I planned my company's District Conference at this hotel - location is perfect for quick access to the French Quarter and many other activities. Rooms are large and comfortable - the fleur de lis wallpaper was pretty, but I LOVED the bedding. A feather bed topper to sink into and soft soft sheets, big fluffy pillows - I could have spent a week just lounging in the bed! Seriously, I looked on Marriott's website to see if I could buy the bedding. Turns out I can - if I want to spend $1200...

There is a coffee maker in the room (a necessity for me), and the toiletries are Bath & Body Works.

Unique Quality: Hotel consists of two towers - the Quarter Tower and the River Tower - both have stunning views of the city and river from it's upper floors. The attached photos are from my first room (19th floor of the Quarter Tower) and from my second room (20th floor of the River Tower). If you go, ask for room 2002 in the River Tower.

The restaurant has a wood-burning oven, which made the conference room VERY smoky. I complained to the event staff, who said they couldn't do anything about it. It was better the next day, but never really went away. When light, the smell was nice, like a campfire. When it was very strong, it made my eyes water and my throat scratchy.

The lounge downstairs was very comfortable and condusive to our staff congregating and meeting up.

Directions: Canal Street bordering the French Quarter

• Heaven!

When we arrived the check in was very easy. The Staff were very pleasant which helped ease my tension over Delta losing my luggage.

We scored on our room! It was a corner room with a view over Canal St and the river! Two views for the price of one! You can't beat it!

After a long flight and the long walk down Bourbon St, we showered and fell into what has to be the most comfy bed in the world! Between the feather mattress topper and down comforter, I was in heaven! I felt like I was sleeping in a cloud.

The next morning I laid there enjoying a spectacular view while stretched out in that amazing bed and it took everything in me to actually get out of that bed to go sight seeing!

With everything within walking distance the hotel is located in a perfect spot.

Starbucks in the building as well as restaurants and a cozy bar in the lobby made for a wonderful time during our 2009 PRO Convention.

We had a wonderful event thanks to a very welcoming hotel. I recommend highly for conventions as well as travelers.

Unique Quality: The bed! I can't say enough how comfy the bed was! Soft and it envelopes you in luxury. I fell in love with it!

• supafeen17's Profile Photo

Lovely, Clean, and Safe in the FQ

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Marriot last January. We thought, hey, it's clean, it's nice--but it's not authentic enough. Also, we didn't like the fact that the Marriot was right on the edge of the FQ on Canal Street; we felt like we wanted to be more in the middle of things.
    Well, we went back on the 16th of December. We stayed at the Marriot our first night (Friday through Sunday nights are likely to be more expensive in the Quarter than Mondays through Thursdays, as you might well be aware; so, since Priceline has been accepting a great bid for the Marriot on Canal, we decided to stay there the first night, and then move to a more "authentic" hotel smack in the middle of the FQ for the rest of our stay--at a discounted rate, of course). Let me just say: wow. They have redecorated the lobby in a French-salon style--lots of deep reds and gold and dark wood everywhere--very sexy, very classy. And then they had to go and put us up on the 39th floor where we had this terrific view. And, like last time, our beds were magnificently comfortable, I loved the pillows--I don't think they were down, but they felt like they were down, and they were amazing. Everything was clean, clean, clean--and new. So, like us, you probably won't be surprised to learn that our "authentic" crusty hotel in the FQ couldn't have possibly upstaged the Marriot.
    Finally, I would like to add that the Marriot on Canal is in a SAFER location that many, if not most, of the other FQ hotels. It's on well-lit Canal Street, and there are always people around in front or just within the lobby; staff is on duty 24 hours, of course. And I've decided that I LIKE the walk into and out of the depths of the quarter--it's definatley part of the fun.

Unique Quality: Great view of the city and the river. EXCELLECT excerices facility. Beautiful Lobby. Cheerful and accomodating staff. Extremely comfortable beds, nice showers, etc.

Directions: Edge of the French Quarter, just across the street from the beginning of the Central Business District.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Good Place To Stay For A Conference

Everything was as expected for a Marriott, good service, good furnishings, etc. The Sheraton and this Marriott tag team for a lot of conferences. Personally I chose the Marriott because they don't charge you $15 per day to use the fitness facilities (Sheraton does).

If not going for business, I would suggest a boutique hotel closer to Bourbon just for the ambience.

Unique Quality: Its in a good locale, right next to Decatur and not too far from either Harrah's or Bourbon Street.

• MELEBR's Profile Photo

Courtyard by Marriott - St. Charles

We had a great saty at the Marriott. Out bartender, Lynne, was awesome. She knew so many things about the city. She was w ealth of knowledge she suggested so many places to eat and places to go. The staff was extremely friendly. The night doorman is a vetran and we had good conversations.

Directions: Canal & St. Charles

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

High Speed Internet

I have not stayed at this hotel.

It is in a good location, and it gets good reviews. The AAA gives it three diamonds, but it isn't an AAA approved hotel

Unique Quality: * 41 Floors, 1290 Rooms, 54 Suites
    * TV with remote control
    * Cable/satellite TV
    * All-news channel
    * In-room movies
    * Newspaper delivered (Mon-Fri)
    * Complimentary in-room coffee
    * Iron and ironing board
    * Hairdryer
    * Cribs available
    * AM/FM alarm clock radio
    * Smoke detectors and sprinklers

• CLillard's Profile Photo

Good location and excellent hotel

We got it for $129 a night through our corporate discount. You should at least be able to get it for $169.95 per night according to http://www.accomodate.org . If you want to save money on laundry, they have a do-it-yourself laundry room. They also have the expensive dry cleaning service available too.

Unique Quality: They have a fitness center (open 24 hrs), which is pretty nice. There is not an additional charge for the fitness center. They have plenty of TVs setup in each corner. There is a medium sized pool outside too (open 6 am - 10 pm). This hotel also offers high-speed Internet access at a cost of $10 for one day.

Directions: Downtown New Orleans. On Canal street, with cross-street of Decatur.

• Radiomom's Profile Photo

I've stayed in the Marriott,...

I've stayed in the Marriott, which is right on the edge of the French Quarter, and the Hilton Riverside. To be honest, I preferred the Marriott, although if I were making a pleasure-trip to N'awlins'
    I think I'd try to find a room at a smaller B&B type place in the French Quarter.

More about New Orleans Marriott

Loved the New Orleans Marriott

by TripAdvisor Member mjdallas

The staff was very nice and accomodating. When we checked in we were in a room on the city side and my husband called down to see if we could get moved to a room on the river side. Because several large conventions were in town the Marriott was quite full and the only room they had available was a Studio Suite with a Murphy Bed. We were given that as a choice and we took it. The bed did not have the "updated" duvet set that the other room had, but the staff changed the bed linen out so that we could have the comforters instead of the old style bedspread. The room had a sitting area, a wet bar with a refrigerator, and our view was spectacular and this more than compensated for having a Murphy Bed. Because my husband is a Platinum Rewards member we have Concierge Lounge privileges. The only pain was that we were not in the same tower as the Lounge so we had to go to the other tower to get to the Lounge. Since we consider the Lounge a bonus and it is open 7 days a week rather than the typical Mon-Fri, we really can't complain about the walk. If I have one complaint, it was the attitude of the the staff in the Concierge Lounge. Instead of being friendly and welcoming like the staff in the other parts of the hotel, it was as if being there was a pain. They were not friendly at all. Since the people using the Lounge are Marriott's Platinum members as well as those people who are paying extra to be on the Concierge Level, I feel that the staff there could have been more welcoming. Also, they did not keep the trays filled and ran out of hor'd'eurves before the end of the time for them (they are supposed to serve from 5:00 - 7:30 and they would run out by 6:00 or 6:30) and the desserts ran out way before the end of the time for them (they are supposed to serve dessert from 8-10 and they would run out by 9 or 9:30). One night it was pouring down rain so we decided to eat at the Riverside Restaurant up at the top of the Marriott. The food was extremely good. When we are in New Orleans we like to eat at the local restaurants and not the hotel restaurants, but this restaurant is quite nice and also has a wonderful view of the city. I would definitely eat there again.

Could have been cleaner

We stayed at the New Orleans Marriot over Memorial Day Weekend and had a great time. The location is excellent and the hotel is beautiful. Our room was small but nicely appointed. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The pool was indeed cold, even after a day of walking around in the sweltering Louisiana sun. My only complaint was that the room could have been cleaner. The tub had a ring and the sink had some sort of black gunk around the edges. Maid service was not very quick either. We left our room at 10:00 a.m. one morning and the maids had still not been by upon our return at 3:30 p.m. The front door staff was very helpful, assisting me more than once with my stroller, carseat, and ten-month-old. All in all, I would stay at the New Orleans Marriot again.

Parking

by Exp.

Hello,

At the end of September I'll be staying at New Orleans Marriott - Canal Street - for a week. I've read a couple of posts saying that renting a car in New Orleans is never a good idea. At first I planed to rent a car for the whole week, then read these posts and realized that basically I will need a car for not more than two to three days, when I'll be visiting some places outside of the city. So my question is, are there any parking lots close to the Marriott hotel that offer affordable daily rates, with in-and-out privileges? An affordable daily rate would be up to $15.

Thank you!

Exp.

Re: Parking

by barbarazlotnik

I understand Le Richelieu in the FQ offers FREE parking.

Comments