O'Keefe Plaza Hotel

334 O'Keefe Avenue, (formerly Sleep Inn), New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 27% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

• Bedbugs, Stains, Rude Staff

My girlfriends and I chose to stay at the O'Keefe because of the great location and great price. Plus, it had a pool! We checked in (note they charge $20 for early check-in), and I promptly took an afternoon nap. The place seemed a little dirty, but I dealt with it given the great rate compared to other hotels in the area. After some of us napped in room 217, and others from our group enjoying the pool, we changed and spent the evening on the town.

We returned just before midnight, ready to get a great night's sleep. Only, this time when I pulled the covers back, I noticed a tiny bug crawling on my sheet. I almost brushed it off. I am not afraid of a little insect. But I didn't recognize it so I asked my friend to help me identify it. She thought it might be a bedbug, so she emptied her ziploc that she had her liquids in and put the bug in the bag. We promptly googled images of bedbugs, and discovered it was a nymph (or very young bedbug). We went downstairs to complain. The attendant didn't seem very surprised about our situation and offered us another room. Though we really just wanted to leave the place, we agreed to check it out because it was late and we were tired.

The only room they had available was 525, a smoking room. As soon as you step off the elevator onto the 5th floor, it reeks of smoke, and the hallway carpets have stains all over. We walked into the room, and though the smell wasn't that offensive, the dirtiness of the room was. The bedspread was stained and had cigarette holes in it. The ironing board that hangs on the wall was filthy with stains. I decided we needed to leave that night.

When we went back to room 217 to pack our things, we discovered two more bedbugs on two separate items that were hung in the "closet." We promptly placed those in the ziploc bag as well. So now it's about 12:30, and we're calling a ton of hotels in New Orleans -- during a festival weekend -- to try to find accommodations for the same night. Not an easy feat, and certainly not the kind of trouble we would voluntarily go through just to "get a free room" as the manager surmised. Luckily, we found a room at the Dauphine Orleans, and it was a beautiful experience. The exact opposite of the O'Keefe in every way--especially the friendliness of the staff.

Our other friends stayed in rooms 215 and 315. They were already asleep when we decided to leave, so they stayed the night there and left in the morning when they received our message. Luckily, our friends who stayed next door in room 215 didn't experience any bedbug trauma. However, both girls in room 317 (one was pregnant, the other was the bachelorette-guest-of-honor) woke up with bedbug bites, though they didn't actually see any bedbugs. Bedbug bites are distinguishable because they usually show up in clusters or a trail. The same bedbug bites you as it travels on your skin! EWWW!

We had to spend much of the weekend cleaning out our clothes and suitcases, hunting down bedbug spray, and making sure we didn't track those nasty things the next place we went.

The O'Keefe was a dirty nightmare. Check out the photos on this site. Click here to see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syBtXEx8wWs And whatever you do, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Unique Quality: bedbugs
    cigarette burns, stains
    stained carpet and bedspreads

• Stealing cleaning crew

I stayed in O'Keefe Plaza Hotel from 03/16/11 to 03/19/11. This hotel is not overly expensive (though it's not cheap either), so one shouldn't expect outstanding service there. I certainly did not. However, below are the four main unexpected problems that I encountered while staying there.

(1) For the price I paid, my room was rather untidy, with dirty sheets, hardly working shower, and missing TV remote control. I let the front desk personnel know about this issue and was told that the problems would be solved, but nothing changed till the day I checked out.

(2) The room door key never worked, and the hotel staff expects guests to go to their rooms and confirm that they key is not working (yet again), and then go all the way back to the front desk for a new key ... every time. They don't even apologize; just issue a new key without saying a word.

(3) The hotel advertises that free Internet is provided in hotel's room. However, according to hotel's own staff, Internet simply did not work on the upper floors, as it never did on my lower first floor. So I had no Internet for three days, which was rather inconvenient.

Here is O'Keefe's Plaza Hotel's ad on Expedia from today (03/20/11), in which they claim their rooms include complimentary Internet: "Rooms: O Keefe Plaza Hotel's 129 air-conditioned guestrooms provide complimentary wireless Internet access and local calls." This ad, however, provides a rather untrue representation of hotel's services.

(4) Most of all, however, I was shocked when after staying in the hotel for just one day, I discovered that the cleaning crew literally cleaned my room by stealing my external computer hard drive with lots of personal and work-related data and a kit of expensive cosmetics. For the two days that I was still staying in the hotel, I tried to get a hold of the hotel's manager Mr. Vadhar and resolve this problem amicably, but he never made himself available for speaking with me. The front desk personnel also did not seem to be surprised or care about theft in the hotel, and I did not get an answer or an apology from anyone. Finally, on my departure day, I realized that no one was going to even talk to me my stolen property, and I had to file a police report.

If staying in a rather expensive for a dirty place like this, with no internet, hardly any hot water, and rude staff does not make you NOT want to stay there, at least do yourself a favor and do the following:
    (1) leave anything even remotely valuable to you at home,
    (2) pack the most unattractive old clothes,
    (3) don't bring your computer (you won't be using internet anyways),
    (4) don't forget to bring your own pillowcases, as the ones the hotel provides are dirty and stink, and
    (5) try to not unpack while staying at the hotel so it's harder to steal from you.

Unique Quality: They have a rather small gym with a couple of machines you might be able to use. The glass wall of this gym is facing the first floor corridor, so you will be able to say hello to all passing by neighbors.

They also have a small and rather unclean pool, in which I wouldn't risk to ever swim.

The only highlight could be free breakfast. And I actually found it pretty decent to tell the truth. You can get juices, tea, or coffee, bagels, waffles, and even some fresh fruit.

• frir's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Worst hotel I have almost stayed in my life!!!! And worst hotel experience EVER!! We lost $489.00 because I refused to stay there and they had already charge my credit card. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL, you will be better off sleeping in a car. HORRIBLE!