Pontchartrain Hotel

DEFUNCT - 2031 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70140, United States

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Staying in the Garden District

The Garden District is a welcome alternative to the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter. The only disadvantage to staying in the Garden District is the issue of transportation - which really isn't even a disadvantage. It's just a hop onto the streetcar (generally within a minute or two walk from wherever hotel you might be staying) down to the French Quarter or anywhere else Uptown - or, you can grab a cab if you're out after 1:00am when the streetcar stops running.

Otherwise, staying in the Garden District can be a singularly charming experience...you're in the Uptown, gentrified area of New Orleans, where all the famous historical AND renovated mansions are located. It's lovely to stroll along St. Charles Avenue and gaze at the homes - or explore the neighborhoods behind St. Charles Avenue, and marvel at the architecture of some of these homes. It's a real treat.

I recommend the following hotels for starters:

> Prytania Park Hotel (Prytania St.)
    > Quality Inn & Suites St. Charles (St. Charles Ave.)
    > Pontchartrain Hotel (St. Charles Ave.)

Unique Quality: The link below takes you to the main New Orleans page of Orbitz Travel, where it shows the various sections (such as French Quarter, Garden District, Central Business District, etc).

Once you're there, just click on "Garden District" link and you'll see the hotels I've recommended, PLUS many more.

Good Luck! Here's the website:

Orbitz-New Orleans Accomodations

• Daisiedoll's Profile Photo

Not what I was expecting.

Stayed at the Ponchartrain for 3 nights during Halloween 2003. I was going down to meet friends who live in NOLA and we were all very excited that I was staying there because it was supposed to be one of the best.

We all thought that it would be classy and upscale. I had lucked out on a last minute deal online.

It wasn't what I expected. The people were friendly enough, but the hotel was old and small. I guess when they talk of it being a gem of a hotel, they are referring to it's former glory. I would have much preferred to stay at the Hampton Inn up the street.

I wasn't going to NOLA for old world charm. I was going to visit with my friends and I wanted a quality room to come back to.

It never did get quite cool enough in there for the hot New Orleans nights (and days). As just one person in the room, I felt cramped. It would have been awful for two.

They also charged my credit card twice for incidentals. Something I only recently discovered! (I tend to leave my statements unopened and bank online.)

Mistake or scam? I don't know. But I won't be staying there again OR recommending it to anyone.

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Haunted Hotel?!

I got "stuck" with the Carol Channing suite; it was bigger than my one-bedroom apartment!

Unique Quality: I SWEAR this suite was haunted!!

Directions: Garden District