Rathbone Mansions

Tags

Arts and Culture Historical Travel
See Amenities

“No Southern Hospitality Here; Hotel won't tell yo

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 12, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights and three days. I loved every minute of it until it was time to leave. The way the complex is set up is there are several buildings on the same street that are part of the hotel. The building we were in was across the street and a little down from the main check in. We were told to get a parking pass and then that we could park in the designated lot or in the street. We didn't want to park in the street because some of the spots have signs saying no parking and it was confusing. We parked in the lot DIRECLTY next to our "mansion" which said authorized parking only and considering we had a parking pass and we thought that lot was part of the complex, we parked there. On the third day, we went to leave to drive home and the car had been towed.

I spoke with the Rathbone attendant and she got very rude and defensive when I suggested that it would have been nice for someone to tell us not to park in the lot next to our building. She insisted that it was not her responsibility to tell people where they can and can't park and rather it was common sense to her not to park there. We had never been to New Orleans before and how were we supposed to know what buildings and parking lots were part of the multiple-building complex?

All she had to say to make me have a good stay was that she would tell future guests not to park there to save them from the $177 and 2 cab ride hassle to the impound that we experienced. She would not agree to that saying that it was not her responsibility and she's just not going to do that. Then she hung up on me. It's really a shame because I really enjoyed the location and the room and everything else but now I can't go back there because I refuse to be disrespected.

* Stayed December 2011

acemj's Profile Photo

Just on the edge of the Quarter

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2002

I stayed in this big Greek Revival Mansion and was perfectly comfortable. You'll be greeted with wine and cheese and the innkeeper will be able to give you lots of great advice about local attractions. Levi was the innkeeper when I checked in and he took the time to give me a map and a quick orientation to the city. He told me about restaurants and safety issues. One tip: if you're in the French Quarter, avoid any street above Dauphine at night (Burgundy and Rampart) as they are not always safe.

Unique Quality: I stayed in the courtyard room that you see in the picture below. It has a bathroom (shower only), cable television, a comfortable bed, sitting area and kitchenette (microwave, dishes, coffee maker and full refridgerator).

Tina is the owner. If you call, ask for her and you might be able to negotiate a good price. She was asking $159/night, but I talked her down. Weekdays are less (I only paid $59/night).

Directions: One block outside the French Quarter

• Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

New Orleans Travel Forum

Need advice about New Orleans, Louisiana? Visit the Travel Forum for New Orleans and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New Orleans hotel reviews

St. Louis Cemetery
Garden District
Mardi Gras
Things to Do
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!"
Night Safety.
Riverboat
Drinking
St. Charles Line
Transportation
Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!
Cat's Meow