Royal St Charles Hotel New Orleans

135 St Charles Avenue, (formerly Clarion Collection), New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States

Royal St Charles Hotel
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Tuesdaysraven's Profile Photo

Street car stops right outside

I had no problem at all when I stayed here in a single, non-smoking room.

The downsides were:

- The hotel charged an additonal fee for phone and Internet - which I said I didn't need, and I was told it was mandatory (I'd seen this mentioned in reviews that said some people managed to get out of it but I didn't) - I hope they have made this optional by now.

- They also served breakfast in the lobby / reception area, which was a bit weird and not especially comfortable.

- The room I had was small (it was a single but still small) and pretty dark because there was no real window.

The upsides to this hotel:

- Staff were polite and I had absolutely no problem with service, or feeling safe as the door locked properly and securely.

- It wasn't noisy, and other guests seemed polite and well behaved.

- The St Charles Street Car stops right outside, which is perfect for a trip into the Garden district.

- It's just a moments walk from Canal Street and the French Quarter so it was safe enough for me to walk back and forth as a lone female traveller, meaning I didn't have to carry my video camera etc... when I wanted to visit different parts of the city.

- I booked online and got a good rate (for my student budget).

Unique Quality: The street car stopping outside is a huge bonus :-)

• tafurojo's Profile Photo

Very Accomodating

I was very pleased at my stay at this hotel. We arrived on a Saturday night during a huge weekend for New Orleans. It was the Bayou Classic and our hotel was over booked. They said they had a suite available and gave that to us instead of giving us some reason we couldn't take our room. The rooms were clean and the service was excellent. Even when we checked out Monday morning and thought we were leaving then came back later that night they gave us the additional night rates instead of charging us a first night rate. All of the staff was helpful and friendly.

Unique Quality: The cleaning ladies went above and beyond the call of duty when cleaning our rooms! It was New Orleans and we WERE there for a good time.

Directions: Downtown

• Central Location

Centrally located with easy access to Bourbon Street, Harrah's Casino, French Quarter, etc. The rooms are rather small, but when in New Orleans, who spends time in a hotel room other than to sleep? Prices are very reasonable, and the hotel itself is very clean. My one complaint as a female was the water pressure in the shower...the pressure was so light it took 10 minutes just to rinse out my shampoo. You're better off washing your hair in the sink! But overall, the hotel is clean, quaint, and has a great location. A very short walk to Bourbon Street (and with the constant noise on Bourbon Street, you'll be glad to have a quiet room to retreat to after a night of partying!)

Directions: Right near Bourbon Street, near Street Car pick up/drop off, VERY safe location to walk at night.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Modern Boutique Hotel

A European style boutique hotel with modern amenities. This 3-star hotel has 143 "deluxe" rooms.

Unique Quality: While the rooms are very small, you can often find internet specials for this hotel. Great location- only a block from the French Quarter. Besides, it has to be better than the Days Inn.

Directions: Conveniently located on the street car line, just one block from the French Quarter and minutes from the Convention Center.

• Many lodgings to choose from...

Many lodgings to choose from but I enjoyed staying at The Royal St. Charles on Charles Street. New hotel with comfortable rooms and friendly staff. On the St. Charles trolley line, 1 block from the French Quarter and a few blocks from Riverwalk and Convention Center.
    They have good specials so check for rates.

More about Royal St Charles Hotel New Orleans

Do not stay at the Royal St. Charles

by TripAdvisor Member mojl

I was in New Orleans last weekend for Jazzfest. When we went to check into the RSC, we were told that the hotel was full and that they would have to put us in another (lesser) hotel further from the Quarter.We protested and said that we had reservations (and had for 4 months) and that if we were going to be moved it was going to be to the Hotel Monteleone (where we stayed last year and wish that we had stayed again this year -- after all of the extra fees that the RSC adds on to the price, we didn't end up saving much at all), the gentleman at the desk was sure that there were no rooms there, but when we asked him to call to find out, there were rooms available, and he then told the person at the other end of the line that he would have to call them back and told us, that he DID in fact have a room for us and an adjoining room for our friends who were checking in the next day and that everything was all set. 5 minutes prior he had told us that there wasn't a single room available. There was never any apology.The next day when our friends checked into the adjoining room, they were told that they could not get the adjoining room that was promised to us at the time of booking and that in fact there were no rooms on the 6th floor at all (note: this was a different front desk person than we had spoken to the prior day). Finally, after they asked why this had happened and what could be done to fix the problem, a room mysteriously opened up on the 6th floor.The two other problems that we had with the hotel was that one day we went up to the room and our room keys didn't work. When we went down to the front desk, we were told that they were demagnified, "it happens all of the time" I find it very strange that both keys were just accidentally demagnified. And one day our room was not cleaned. There were new towels in the bathroom, but the old ones hadn't been taken away and the beds weren't made.We never did get adjoining rooms and I wish that I had followed my instinct and left the hotel even though they found a room for us after half an hour of haggling. I am sorry that I gave them a penny of my money and I strongly recommend staying elsewhere.We were not the only ones having problems at check-in time. There were at least 2 other parties who were being moved to other hotels.All in all, the hotel was very unorganized and a HUGE disappointment.

Stay here only if you can deal with some bad attitudes..

Just came back from spending Memorial Day weekend at the Royal St. Charles in New Orleans. I was very hesitant about staying there after readings the reviews, but I thought the rate was a great value considering the location. I have to say, the woman who checked us in was not friendly at all, she never smiled & I don't think she ever looked up to make eye contact with either my husband or I. When we got to our room, the keys weren't working & it took about 15 minutes before anyone came to let us in. The room was small, but nice. They advertise a bath robe in every room, but there wasn't one in ours. I asked for one twice (on different days) and never got it. I'm giving them 3 stars because I loved the location & 40% of the staff seemed nice and human!

Excellent Location

by TripAdvisor Member MardiGras05

Stayed at the Royal St. Charles for the first weekend of Mardi Gras 2004. We arrived during a fairly heavy rainstorm just as one of the parades was rolling on St. Charles Ave. I called the hotel so that they could suggest the best route to get there since numerous streets were closed off. They directed us to their parking garage, had a bellhop waiting for us and promptly walked us to the hotel. Even though we had arrived a couple of hours early, we were quickly checked in and offered an upgrade ($40 per day) to a room with a balcony view of the parade. The room, though small, was nicely appointed and very clean. The location of the hotel is great. It is right on the parade route, across the street from the French Qtr, and a just a few blocks away from Harrah's Casino. Although we never had a need to request anything, the staff was always friendly and greeted us with smile. I will definitley stay here again when I return.

BIG Headache

AWFUL experience. We stayed for two nights. The first night --the air conditioner was broken and no one was availabe to fix it. The next morning they moved us to another room. The room was better--but when we went down that morning to get our car--they couldn't find it. After an hour they admitted the found my car but had lost the keys. The finally had to tow the car to a dealership and have a new set of keys made. This took another six hours. They apologized but didn't even so much as buy our lunch.They claimed that it was not their fault because they use a seperate company to park their cars. Totally unacceptable!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

A great week-end getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member dealluvr

I must admit I was a little apprehensive about our upcoming stay at the RSC after reading several negative reviews on tripadvisor.com. But I am happy to report that my husband and I had a terrific long week-end in the Big Easy (just got home today) and the RSC is, in my opinion, the best deal in town.

OK, true, the room was small, but we figured if you are in New Orleans, who wants to spend too much time in the room? It was clean and neat and we really liked the Art-Deco feel. And yes, walls were thin. We noticed this at 4:30 a.m. the first night when our neighbor couple began having a "very heated discussion." Obviously too much partying on Bourbon Street for those two. Luckily they checked out the next morning...no problems after that!

The RSC is very easy walking distance to the French Quarter and many good restaurants were close by. The hotel is 11 stories high and had 3 very efficient elevators -- never a wait to get to the room and the place was booked all week-end.

The bar was well-stocked and comfortable seating was all around.

Another plus was the trolley stop being just outside the front door --

The highlight had to be the concierge, though. He was the greatest -- friendly and helpful at all times.

Will definitely stay at the RSC next time in NOLA.

Royal St. Charles Hotel

by cmillard

Anyone stayed at the Royal St. Charles Hotel? Trip advisor had pretty good write-ups. The hotel says it's 2 blocks to the French Quarter, and is on St. Charles Avenue. Is that an o.k. area? Is it walking distance to French Quarter? Thank you.

C.M.

RE: RE: Royal St. Charles Hotel

by cmillard

Your condo sounds gorgeous! Do you have any pictures of
it?

Thanks,
Carol.

RE: RE: Royal St. Charles Hotel

Hello again George:

You are right. You do have a lovely condo. It's probably much larger than we need though, as there are only 2 of us. If we were going with family or friends, I would highly recommend it.

Thank you for the information George.

Sincerely,