1133 Chartres St., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Best Service I've EVER Had

From the moment I pulled up The Soniat House impressed me. This was my first luxury hotel and it will certainly not be the last time I stay here! My friend and I came on a rainy afternoon. As soon as my car pulled in front of the hotel one of the concierge men brought an umbrella and got both of us out of the car. He grabbed all of our bags (and there were many!) and brought us to the office. There was a lovely office where we waited to sign in while looking in the courtyard.

The person who checked us in was as friendly as ever as we explained this was our first time to stay in a upscale hotel. They were so excited for us!

While we came in we saw a friendly visitor, a sweet cat. He walked around with us everywhere we went. It was so cute. We also saw traditional maid uniforms as we walked around the rooms.

We stayed on the single room looking on the courtyard. It was very cozy with a fireplace (that was not in use but created a warm ambience). There are such nice amenities including white robes. There are also a multitude of services you can add such as dry-cleaning and others.

*There was a small tv so if you need that this is not the place for you. I don't think I even turned it on but that sort of thing is important.

Unique Quality: Every detail from the people to the faucets are wonderful!

*No exercise facilities but walking around the French Quarter should do it!
    No pool but who needs to waste their time with that?
    Each room has a different view of either Chatres St. or the courtyard.

Directions: South from Bourbon St, East of Square

More about Soniat House

Cajun Country

by msbrandysue

"Neighbors"

Louisiana is a fun state...and for me, a long state when cutting through on my way to the East Coast.

Fun State Facts

*Coming!

"My Louisiana Top Ten"

*Subject to Change as State is Discovered more!

1) Preservation Hall Jazz Concert, New Orleans
2) Bourbon Street, New Orleans
3) City of Covington
4) Annabelle's Plantation-Bed and Breakfast, Covington
5) Soniat House, New Orleans
6) Swamp Tour, Pearl River
7) Cafe du Monde, New Orleans
8) Trailheads on Tammany Trace, 31 mile biking path, Covington, Abita Springs and Mandeville
9) UCM, pronounced "you see 'em" Museum, Abita Springs
10)

"Visitors Center"

Haven't stopped yet :(

Welcome Back, New Orleans

by msbrandysue

"Why Did I Come??"

A) I came because I had to!
B) It was a part of my 1000 Places To See Before You Die.
C) It is a pretty easy drive from Houston.
D) New Orleans has been such a focus of our country and I just had to see it for myself.

I was so scared at first. Everyone said such negative things to me about the crime and dirt. However, I found none of that a problem! I would love to return anytime :)

If you're looking for some day trips from New Orleans try these pages to look at. New Orleans North Shore has a lot to offer. Check out my pages:
Abita Springs
Bush
Covington
Folsom
Madisonville
Mandeville
Slidell

"My Favorite Part"

This is definitely hard to pick. My top five are Preservation Hall, Bourbon St scene, Shopping, Soniat House, Chateau LeMoyne.

And the winner is...........

Preservation Hall!

This place was amazing. It's just raw talent, raw New Orleans, and raw jazz. I felt so alive when I was here. It was just a great experience.

"Surprise Attraction"

Do you want to hear the real story of how I almost missed out on New Orleans?

Well, at 5:30am, on the morning my friend Rheanna and I were supposed to leave, she calls to say she isn't feeling well and is going to the hospital. I start crying because it's too late to get our money back from reservations and I got one of the most expensive hotel reservations they have. So, at 6am I start text messaging friends in desperation to see if anyone could go with me. My special friend, Aaron, is trying to tell me to go by myself but everyone else I know is telling me there's no way I can go there by myself. So, finally, around 7:30 a friend text messages me back wanting details. I call her and after an hour or two of rearranging her schedule she can go. Shanna was my bestest friend in the world! I'm so happy that she went because it was a better trip because of her :)

This is a picture of her taking pictures because she took them often and now I'm jealous!

Holiday Inn West Bank NOLA

by northerner1952

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? It is necessary to take a ferry to get to NO, does the ferry run all the time and is it safe? Also considering the Fairmont hotel, has anyone stayed there and what do you think?
Thanks

by Virtuous_Tourist

The Fairmont has some history behind it, that I've heard.
The West Bank is suburbs across the River from NO but its kind of a dreary area. Its connected to the city of New Orleans by 2 bridges, the Crescent City Connection and the Huey P. Long Bridge. There are also ferries, notably the one at Algiers which crosses to the French Quarter area.

by cromette

What are you interested in seeing/doing in NO? Is there any particular reason you are looking at the West Bank as opposed to the Central Business District or the French Quarter?

Re: Re: Holiday Inn West Bank NOLA

by cromette

Okay, did some checking around. We have ridden the ferry before, but I couldn't remember the hours. We rode it during the day...no safety issues. At night, I really don't know. You'd just have to "feel it out"

The ferry operaties 7 days/week, departs Algiers at 5:45 am and runs every 15 min. until the last boat leaves Canal at 11:45 pm. The pedestrian commuter boat runs at quarter hour intervals, staggered against the main boat's schedule, Mon.-Fri., from 5:30 am-9:30 am & from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Toll is $1 for cars, pedestrians & bikes ride free.

Both hotels look fine, I would probably go with the Fairmont...but I still think you should look inside the French Quarter. The ferry is nice, but it could turn into being a hassle to be so far away from the action. You might have to get a cab at night if you stay on the West Bank. You'll definitely have to get one if you're out past 11:45. It's not terribly expensive...but still, why not stay closer?

by Robachu1

I'd avoid the west bank unless you actually have business over there. (Maybe a round of golf at English Turn) Rush hours can be terrible, even with the twin spans. (Cresent City Connection Bridge)

The Fairmont is a good (old) choice especially if you can get a rate of around $100-110 per night.

The Soniat House is another high quality higher price option in the French Quarter.

The Klimpton Group of boutique hotels(I've stayed in several and have never been disappointed)

has one property in New Orleans (most are in San Francisco) which you might consider also. Here is the address:
It's rates are very comparable with the Fairmont plus it's right on the streetcar line, although a bit of a walk to the Quarter (Court of Two Sisters etc.)

by Robachu1

I just got a notice about the new Loews Hotel in New Orleans if you're interested take a look....

Comments