330 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Great Experience

My wife and I recently stayed at The St. James during a weekend get away. After reading the reviews of other patrons before our stay, I must admit we were a bit hesitant to stay here. But to our surprise we had and excellent stay during our three day stay. The staff was very helpful. We did experience a delay in the elevator once during the weekend, but maintenance quickly resolved the issue. It was in walking distance of every thing we wanted to do for the weekend. I would highly recommmend The St. James to all of my friends that will visit NOLA!

Directions: Three blocks from the French Quarter

• Mardi Gras

This hotel is not equipped to handle a full house. They constantly ran out of towels, shampoo, soap. Each day guests were having to ask for a supply. On Mardi Gras day our two rooms were not even visited by housekeeping. No beds made, no clean linens or towels. Nothing. It has a great location, but is just not capable of dealing with a full house. I would not stay there again nor would I recommend it.

• Neat Hotel

Good place to stay. The upper floors have these neat exposed beams in the ceiling. Kind of creepy. Great service and concierge, extremely helpful staff. Like all of New Orleans though, there are all kinds of taxes that they'll tack on to you bill....that really sucks.

Directions: Central business district...I think.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

St James - the room

We arrived a day later than we had booked due to New Orleans being underwater the night before from a hit by 'Isidor'. We were giving a room and told that we could change it the next day if we didn't like it but unfortunately a lot of the rooms had not been prepared due to the storm the previous day. At first glance, while small, the room looked fine until we realised that behind and ornate curtaining there was a brick wall (no window at all in the room). This was a little claustrophobic so the next day we changed to another 'small' room across the courtyard. Between the two buildings of the hotel is a small courtyard with another small courtyard behind one of them which had a small (more ornate) pool area. We were pretty disappointed with a few things. First when booking the hotel they tell you that phone calls are free - which they are not (95c per call), that parking was $16.95 per entry - which it was not ($20.00 per day regardless of whether you move the car out or not). We also found that after we checked out and the car was delivered from the parking service the hotel uses that an addition 77 miles had been added to the our arrival mileage and the parking area was certainly not that far away. So just beware to check and recheck details when booking. While it was comfortable enough, we would not stay there again.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

St James Hotel

The St James is a restored historic landmark. It was built in 1833 it was described as being 'one of the grandest hotels in the Confederate States'. It was converted into a military hospital during the Civil War. There are a few legends, one that this was the famous 'St James Infirmary' which was immortalised in New Orleans blues history and another that one of the first floor guest rooms was used for meetings by early plotters of the Texas Revolution. The hotel reopened in 1999.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Deluxe Accommodations

The St James Hotel offers a variety of deluxe, elegant 'French Quarter Style' rooms and suites in magnificently restored historic-landmark buildings. Amenities include a lush courtyard, pool, rooftop terraces and exercise facility.

Unique Quality: Each room offers distinctive architectural details and special touches including marble baths, plush robes, data ports (two-line phones), in-room safes and hair dryers.

Directions: Gravier and Natchez are the cross streets. Just 2 blocks from the French Quarter.

• ladyfisher's Profile Photo

The St. James . It is in the...

The St. James . It is in the French Quater but not right on Burbon a little more quite you can find it at http://www.nolacollection.com/. It is with in walking distance of the action but not as pricy around $179 a night. When we went they a internet deal 2 nights for price one. I understand they have it always if you book online.If you want closer to the night life stay at the Royal Sontoa. Very nice but hard to get into . Book far in advance.

Unique Quality: The inn is set up as a old french country inn. They have huge 4 poster beds, leave robes out for you ,wonderful view& turn down service very nice.It is in area called he French Market in the quater.

• ladyfisher's Profile Photo

Price Range: 189.00 - 349.00
    (US Dollar )

Unique Quality: Exquisite historic restoration. Charming

More about St. James Hotel

great little lodging especially for gamblers

by TripAdvisor Member hatssat

We had a great rate through expedia and picked this hotel with out ever seeing it before. We were pleasantly surprised because I like hotels with character. It is not modern or contempory, but early 1900's style. Some of the greatest chairs in the lobby and small areas in hotel. Hotel is on street close to Harrah's casino (st. peter's i think)and that was a requirement for me. Look carefully when you are arriving because it has discreet entrance, if that is allowed in this great city. staff is polite and not overly vivacious, quick to answer requests, and it seems like there may be some permanent residents there. (quiet & rather sedate lobby...but you get the new york times free) Cheaper than big hotels, but nicer than cheap hotels. Rooms were typical size etc., but bathtub was a great soaking tub, slanted at the back, and wonderful after a hard days at the slots. LOts of restaurants nearby & Canal street is real close. Area is much safer than a few years ago and is having a resurgence that is good to see. Be Sure and put your Do Not Disturb sign out if you don't want to be awakened very early, a knock at 8:00 one a.m.

Great start to a holiday

by TripAdvisor Member rmjunlimited

We stayed at the St James hotel for five nights over Christmas last year. We had a curt welcome from the staff at reception (it was late, but still...). Other than that we had a great stay there, the room was lovely and quiet, and it was really big with old-fashioned decor that suited the surroundings. We were very impressed with the location, five minutes from Jackson Square, and it was much cheaper than many of the other hotels within that area. It had more character than a chain hotel, and I would definitely stay there again.

Wonderful stay!!!!!!!!!!

My new husband and I had a wonderful stay here, This was a surprise honeymoon for us and the manager Marco made sure our room was fantastic, we had a suite, with a private coutyard, and plenty of space inside, the decor was just what i had imagined of New Orleans to be, they are really centrally located to anywhere you would want to go. The front desk staff, especially Ericka were superb. The service we received I would defintely recomend to all my friends, and my husband and i will be back, hopefully soon but if not especially next mardi gras, Thank you ST JAMES HOTEL!!!!!! For making our honeymoon unforgetable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by ironylover

I'm going to be in New Orleans 10/18 to 10/20. I booked the St James hotel on Magazine St. Has anyone stayed there? Looked great on the website and compared to the convention hotels was a bargain. Would like to hear if anyone has any experience with it and also what's in the area that is a "can't miss"

Thanks

Re: St James Hotel

by JulesTwo

HEre are several review:

I hope that helps!
Julie

by ironylover

Thanks Julie...4 "best ever ratings" and 5 "it really sucks" ratings....nice consistant experience apparently lol.

by JulesTwo

I noticed that! When I have used tripadvisor in the past I read everyone's opinion and see what it is they are complaining about. As long as it is 50/50 I probably would stay there. Perhaps when you check in you could mention what you read and they will make sure you have a nice room so you can go back and give a good review!!
Enjoy your trip!
Julie

George,

Day late and a dollar short. Didn't see your post til after I came back. However, I think we'll go back down in late Feb and I'll be sure to contact you. Thanks

Chris