St. Peter House Hotel

Inn on St. Peter
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

St Peter House Hotel

A beautiful old hotel from the early 1800s, the St Peter House has 29 comfortable rooms just two blocks from Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. If you are looking to be pampered and catered to, get a chain hotel in the Central Business District. If you want an inexpensive, yet charming place, in the middle of all the French Quarter excitement, the St. Peter House is a great choice.

My room was on the second floor with a balcony entrance overlooking Burgundy Street and the Front Page Bar. This room (#49) was recently remodeled and featured new tile flooring and one of the French Quarter's signature 10-foot ceilings. The door to my room stuck tight and was a pain, but just a minor inconvenience. The room had a TV with cable and a private bath, nothing extravagant. The staff was friendly and efficient, even walking me to my room to make sure I approved, which never happens in the chain hotels.

The only problem is the noise and light...even though the hotel is two streets from the party there is a slow but steady trickle of people throughout the night and the walls don't block much sound; furthermore, the windows reach to the ceiling, but the blinds only block to the top of the door leaving a wide open window about 4 feet x 4 feet, facing southeast to let the morning sun shine in. I was in bed early and wanting to get up early anyway, so no bother for me, but others might not enjoy it!

My room was tiny and just $49 per night, but they also offer one and two bedroom suites for up to $100. Of course, rates are much higher during special events like Mardi Gras.

Directions: The corner of Bergundy and St Peter across from the Front Page Bar

• cromette's Profile Photo

St. Peter's Guest House - Great on a Budget

St. Peter's Guest House is a fantastic place to stay when you are on a budget.

Some of the rooms are pretty small, but they are all clean, and have everything you need. We never spend much time in the room anyway when we are in the French Quarter.

The location is the best! Two blocks away from Bourbon Street, it's close enough for comfort, but far enough away for sleeping!

Another great plus is that balcony!

Unique Quality: The balcony is a perfect place to sit and unwind after a long day in the quarter, and maybe share a late night snack. We like to go get burgers at Camellia's or Petunia's (and a frozen daquari) and sit back and watch the Quarter warriors retreat to their hotels for the evening.

Directions: French Quarter - 2 blocks off Bourbon

• steph4867's Profile Photo

St. Pierre Hotel.

$99/night.

Unique Quality: St. Pierre combines the charm of century-old buildings with all the conveniences of a modern hotel. This hotel is ideally situated for visitors to the area and has a warm and welcoming atmosphere that emphasizes friendly and hospitable service. It also has excellent facilities as well as comfortable guest rooms and public areas.

All of the guest rooms are comfortable and nicely equipped to give a feeling of being home while away from home. The hotel also has a variety of facilities and services that are sure to meet the needs of both business and leisure travelers.

Directions: 2 blocks off Bourbon Street in the French Quarter.

More about St. Peter House Hotel

French Quarter Photos

by Ewingjr98

"Shoegate!"

"Iron balcony"

"Entrance to a courtyard"

"Night in the French Quarter"

I think this i sthe Napolean House

"House on Rampart St"

"Flowers in the French Quarter"

"View from the St. Peter House"

"Courtyard on St Peter St"

Louisiana

by Rusty_1954

"New Orleans and the French Quarter"

In the month of April,2003,packed up,I began another long journey,
the destination being New Orleans.The trip from my hometown,Pottsville,to
Louisiana took about eighteen to twenty hours. I made reservations at the
St. Peter House,a charming little Hotel on St. Peter street.The rates were
reasonable for that time of the year,around $89 per night for the one bed
room suite I stayed in.Free parking was avaiable at a nearby hotel affiliated
somehow with my hotel. It's located at 1005 St. Peter St.,just 2 blocks from
Bourbon St.I chose it because it was in a quiet area of the French Quarter,
yet reasonably close to everything.Once unpacked I head out to explore the French Quarter. New Oreans was founded by a Frenchmen, Sieur de
Bienville,in 1718.In the beginning the town was populated by unsavory
types such as convicts and prostitutes,who were let out of prison if they
would relocate to New Orleans.Meanwhile other immigrants and African
slaves came by the boatloads.A generation later the Creole came to be.
After the French colonized the area for nearly a century the Spanish came
to rule for twenty years or so.Thus explains how the French Quarter has become influenced to make it what it is today. Streets named in French
and Spanish,balconies with ornate iron railing work,courtyards with banana
trees, fountains and shuttered windows are a familiar sight.
The first thing I did was to get a plate of spicy gumbo.I went to the Gumbo
Shop which is located at 633 St Peter St.It's a casual atmosphere,but the
gumbo was great. One of the many things that were must-dos on this trip
was a ghost tour. I always had a fascination with ghosts,hauntings and
tales of the macabre.Before leaving my home I looked some tours up on the net and found one I wanted-Haunted History Tours. I found out at Reverand Zombie's Voodoo Shop on St. Peter St. that the tours met next
door to their shop at 8:00 PM. The tour began soon after schedule.Gen-
rally the guide took us to places that were well known to be haunted and
told us about the haunting.Who was haunting it,why,etc. The history behind the hauntings I found to be the most interesting part.I enjoyed
the tour and returned the following morning at 11:00 to take their cem-
etery tour. Again we met at the designated meeting place and were escorted to the St. Louis Cemetery #1 just outside of the French Quarter to the north.Our guide explained the cemetery as well as about the Voo-
doo Queen of New Orleans,Marie Laveau.I'll get more into these in the following chapters. Throughout the rest of my stay in the Quarter I shopped,had beignets and cafe au lait at the Cafe DuMonde,ate at
countless restaurants to sample French,Cajun and Creole dishes,took
a tour of the Garden District,the Voodoo Museum and a few swamp tours
which I'll go into detail later. My stay at the St Peter House was only for
a few nights due to my budget so I checked into The Creole House on
St. Anne St.,another small guest house in the Quarter.Upon leaving
there I headed out of town southward to the Bayou Segnette State Park's
campground approximately thirty minutes away from New Orleans.Here I
set up camp and stayed the last few nights in Louisiana. While there I took
a day trip in my car on what's known as Plantation Alley or the Great River Road. Heading west along the Mississippi this road runs from New Orleans
to Baton Rouge,however I went only as far as Vacherie then north over
the river onto Rte 10 eastbound to New Orleans.Along this route (Rte 18)
are oil refineries,trailer parks, and plantations. Upon reaching each plan-
tation I stopped and photographed them. My destination, Vacherie,was the location of Laura Plantation and Oak Alley Plantation. Being late in the
afternoon I only had time to visit one, so I chose Laura. I'll get more into detail in another chapter.The following day,my last,I headed southward
to the Barataria Preserve.Once there I visited the Jean Lafitte National
Historic Park and the town of Jean Lafitte. The trip was superb!

"Cemeteries and Voodoo"

When I visited New Orleans in 2003 and 2004 I took several tours of the cemeteries.St Louis Cemeteries #1 ,#3 and Lafayette Cemetery.The tombs
at all the cemeteries in the greater New Orleans area are above ground.

View from the St. Peter HouseView from the St. Peter House

hotel in NO

by Azzuri

Based on the posts, I see that you can either stay in French Quarter and walk back in the night or outside of the quarter and take a cab in the night. We are going to NO during Christmas time and I have seen places in French Quarter like Hotel St Pierre or Prince Conti for 63$ a night. Can you recommend a nice hotel in the quarter for a lower price than that ?
Can you also recommend a nice hotel outside of the quarter ? How much a cab costs in the night usually ?

Thanks a lot !

by Robachu1

Here's a recommendation from USAToday Travel

Best room for your dollar — St. Peter House is a favorite recommendation among cab drivers. It offers inexpensive rates, a convenient location near Bourbon Street's hot spots and the classic brick courtyard and wrought-iron balconies for which the French Quarter is known. Off-peak rates dip as low as $49 a night, including continental breakfast. The service is outstanding, and the staff seldom forgets repeat customers. Leave the laptop in the closet if you plan to stay here; the hotel's 29 rooms don't have extra telephone outlets for computers. 1005 St. Peter St.; 504-524-9232; www.crescent-city.org.

Check this address for other hotel recommendations:

Re: Re: hotel in NO

by Azzuri

Thanks. I have already booked hotel St Pierre, seems nice - www.hotelstpierre.com and has very good rates on hotels.com (btw. if you know better NO hotel web sites, pls. let me know for future, like vegas.com in LV).

Another question - how much is a cab from the airport to French Quarter. Is there a reliable public transportation to get to and from the airport ?

Thanks !

by Virtuous_Tourist

A cab ride to the French Quarter from Louis Armstrong International costs about $25 one way. I would just take one of the shuttles for about $10-15, but with a cab you could split the costs, so it comes out to about the same.

I would also consider using the streetcar instead of cabs, depending on where you want to go.

Renting a car is also a good option, but then you have to contend with parking.

by Robachu1

A good website is NOLA.com. It isn't a booking site like Vegas.com but it does have a lot of good info and links to other New Orleans related sites, plus it has some fun webcams too.

Re: Re: hotel in NO

by Azzuri

I just came back. New Orleans is an awesome place. Hotel St. Pierre although not fancy, is very well located, 2 blocks from Bourbon Street and in a quiet part of French Quarter.
Thanks all of you for helpful information - an up to date info - a cab from the airport is 28$ and a shuttle is 12$ per person one way. It will get you to and from your hotel directly.

Comments