St Vincents Guest House

Travelocity Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• leisureway's Profile Photo

Don't do it!

Stayed in a room, not the hostel. The reviews I read prior to staying seemed to say the hostel was the worst but the rooms were ok. Not true. Both are bad.

Positives: beautiful building (rundown but still pretty), nice staff, cool courtyard, anything goes, fun eating/shopping district a block away, lots of potential if cleaned

Negatives: filthy (not just messy or dusty, like no cleaning supplies have ever been used), disorganized check in, junkies wandering around, roaches, bed bugs, mice droppings, no cabs want to take you there or pick you up there, homeless people squatting near entrances of building, throw up ground into carpet, 50/50 chance on safety

To give this place a glowing review, you must have a very low standard of living. With the price being one of the lowest in New Orleans, this place wasn't expected to be anything special. You get what you pay for - if this place was $20 a night to crash from a drug binge, it would be right on point. For close to a $100 a night (more during events), this wasn't ok. Do yourself a favor and save up more money for a better place.

The overall feel was laid back and the staff plus some regulars doing work on site were cool. Unfortunately that isn't enough to justify staying here.

Directions: Garden District

• Filthy and Dangerous!!! Avoid this dump....

“Filthy and Dangerous, Padlocked and Chained shut fire escapes”

Our Group was called two weeks before arrival and told our rooms and reservations were canceled - after being pre-paid and pre-booked months ahead of time,Many heated phone calls later somehow we were reserved AGAIN.

Too bad we insisted and checked in.

I have been around the world 3 times and never seen filth like this,
    Sticky vomit? - stained carpets, Broken bed, Ceiling dripping god knows what onto the bed.

Dirty sheets and a smell like old warm cat urine ...

Unbelievably the windows were painted shut, and the 2 closest fire escapes were chained and padlocked shut!!!!!
    Broken - rotten rails on the second floor about 25 feet above pavement, And room doors that opened onto dangerously rotten second floor decks, With no marking or warning to stay off
    seems like a bad accident waiting to happen,

Avoid this filthy, Dangerous dump at all cost!!!!!

Unique Quality: Filthy, stinky and dangerous, Absolutely the worst Ive ever seen.

• Horror Guest House / St. Vincents Guest House

I would also not recommend staying in that place. The carpets are so dirty, that you can not walk on them without your shoes on. The bed and pillows were lumpy, old and dirty too. In the first room we had it rained inside on the aircondition, the second room they gave us had no energy at all, the 3rd one you could not really lock the door. When we told them (after 15 min being there) we would like to leave again, they told us there is no refund for the 7 days and the 580 dollars we paid in advance (when we checked in 15 min before). In the 4th room they gave us the cockroaches came to visit us. The manager is unprofessional and tries to squeez the money out of his guests and when you try to speak to him, he is never available. It took us 6 days to see him and we had to come back with police to get at least a little bit of our money back (210 dollars), because instead of 7 nights we only stayed there 1 night.
    That one night there was horrible enough and i am glad we moved out the next day.

Directions: in the garden district

• CALentz's Profile Photo

Affordable family stay

I found it a welcome change away from the noise of the french quarter--although I had a good time there--it's got FREE parking if you're staying and a laundry facility--which is great if you're gonna travel with family. I found it clean, pleasant and affordable--accross the street from THE MOJO's Coffee House which I found well worth spending time in. Also I was able to pick up local free papers about the arts and entertainment scene--what band is playing when and where. Both St. Vincent's and MOJO's are smaller out of the way non-tourist-packed. check out St. Vincent's history and find the statue of Margaret Haughery (founder/benefactor). Have a good time! I found New Orleans to be cleaner and prettier than my prior visit in 1993. The Garden district is beautiful and close to the WW2 historical museum.

Unique Quality: Beautiful historic architecture.

• hairpin's Profile Photo

it's an orphanage, it's a B&B

I would recommend not staying here. The carpets are dirty. The bed and pillows were lumpy. The closet was covered with a hung curtain with a bleach stain accros it. The staff at the front desk seemed unprofessional. And the fire alarm went off at 6 AM without any explanation. I'm glad we spent only one night.

On the plus side, this B&B/orphanage does not seem haunted.

Unique Quality: There is a virgin mary statue in a grotto that seems to be covered in clams.

Directions: between the garden district and downtown

• St. Vincent Bed and...

St. Vincent Bed and Breakfast....Prytania #3
    we paid $42 per night... great value

Unique Quality: Wonderful old Antebellum house made into several bed and breakfast rooms. Old, Tall ceilings and doors... king size beds. Iron gate around the house. One block from St. Charles Trolley

More about St Vincents Guest House

I really hate to see people...

by delilahdee

I really hate to see people visiting new orleans and not taking advantage of the history here. There are so many great small historic inns, of all kinds of price ranges. For the budget traveller, the St. Vincents guest house on Magazine street is one of the better options. It was constructed in the 1800's as an orphanage, as used for a time as a civil war jail. It also has parking and a pool, and is located on one of the coolest streets in New Orleans.

Don't stay here!!!

by TripAdvisor Member mkymousefan5

Our experience was a nightmare!! After about 17 hours of driving, we pulled into the pitch black parking lot in a run-down, rather scary neighborhood. We should have gone with our first instincts and turned around! However, we went inside. The halls were dirty and the carpet was disgusting. The manager did not have any evidence of our reservation. He gave us three different rooms - only to determine that they were ALREADY occupied. The next thing we knew - he pulled out a bucket of keys and dumped them onto the desk. He started going through them to find us a room. Yep - you guessed it - no key board to indicate which rooms were occupied and which were vacant. He pulled out a key and led us up a dark, dreary, filthy stairwell (the elevator didn't work) into a bleak hallway. That is as far as we went - we decided to turn around and head out. Sleeping in our car would have been better than this place!!!! We were fortunate enough to find another place at 1:00 AM. I have traveled pretty extensively, including places like Europe, Australia, and Russia - and I have NEVER seen anyplace like this - STAY AWAY is the BEST advice I could give! As for the breakfast - we did not stay to eat it- but I would not have eaten in a place so filthy anyway!

NASTY!!!!

Pictures that are showed for this bed & breakfast are absolutely adorable! But when we arrived the carpet looked as if it had not been vacuumed in months nor had it been cleaned! The bathroom was disgusting!! We stayed 1 night and checked out the very next moring!! I live in the south and understand bugs down here, but I do not live like this at home and when on vacation I do not expect to stay in a place that is beneath my own home!! If you are a clean person and live in a clean environment, DO NOT STAY HERE!! My husband & I were absolutely disgusted, we could not get out of there fast enough!

What is all the fuss?

My wife & I just returned from our vacation. We stayed 3 nights at St.
Vincent's (4-5 thru 4-7) . We knew what to expect when we made reservations. The room we were given was clean and freshly painted, There were some paint stains on the carpet around the wall, big honkin deal. The bathroom was clean and well kept.

If you are looking for the Grand Palace, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a decent place to stay, you should like it. Keep in mind, this place is old but it was clean while we were there.

The big thing that confuses me is that nowhere in their adds does it mention that it is a Bed & Breakfast. It is a Hotel.

I don't know what all the naysayers are fussing about. This is a nice place to stay.

could be nice but has big problems

This place could be great... charm, location, free parking, well built structure. However, they have flop house beds, the rooms are dirty (found accumulation of trash under the bed), not sure the sheets were changed (we purchased new sheets to use while there), gave up on breakfast because of dirty dishes served. It is a shame... they are so close to having a nice place.

For A Good Time Call...

This hotel is not a high class place, but it has something all the gold trimmings in the world can't muster: Character and Ambiance. It's laid back just like New Orleans, so if you're uptight and shop at the gap, please stay away-- we don't want you there anyway. Where else could you drink absynthe and swim naked! Lese le boton roule!

st vincent guest house

by skumarn

Hi, I found a place called st vincent guest house on magazine street. Ive read very variable reports on this place ranging from horrible to clean etc. does anyone here have anyidea about ths place?
shakila

Re: st vincent guest house

by jlavsfan

I don't know about that place, but I just got back yesterday from staying at the Royal St. Charles. It's a block from the french quarter. It was clean and nice. It was a little expensinve since it was halloween weekend, but I'd definatly recommend it.

Re: Re: st vincent guest house

by skumarn

thanks for that, i will definitely check that out

Re: Re: st vincent guest house

by skumarn

Thanks, but i have just booked myself into another hotel (actually sharing with another colleague) so that should be ok

Comments