Studio 6 New Orleans East

12330 I-10 Service Rd, I-10 & Exit 245/Bullard Rd, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70128, United States
Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about New Orleans

Natchez Steam BoatNatchez Steam Boat

statue of Joan Of Arcstatue of Joan Of Arc

Bank of LouisianaBank of Louisiana

muffuletta at The Market Cafémuffuletta at The Market CafĂ©

Thanksgiving In New Orleans! HELP!

by shiuri

Hi everyone,

This will be my first time visiting New Orleans so I'm super excited! I literally get in on Thanksgiving Day. I was told that nothing will be open on Thanksgiving except for bars and restaurants. I'll be getting in really early....7am early. So I have an entire day to kill. What activities, sights, shows, places, etc. can I go to make the most out of my Thanksgiving Day? Oh, and what are good places (that are open) to have Thanksgiving dinner that night? Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

by romrai

I can't help with all your questions' but I will try to help. 7 am is a bit early for much. You can wander down bourbon street. Those places are always open. If you walk up and down the main streets of the French Quarter it is an interesting way to kill a hour or so during those early hours. When you make it down to decatur st. you can stop for a cafe au lait and begneit at Cafe du Monde. Behind the cafe you can catch a street car and go down to the Garden district and look at the houses and Lafayette cemetery. That is all things that I know you can do on Thanksgiving.......oh, and there is Harrah's casino .....it's always open for dinner as well.

by shiuri

Romrai -- Thank you for your response. I appreciated it!

by bird805

I will be going to NOLA on Thanksgiving as well. Opening day at the track! They have great bloody mary's. I'd also recommend getting a Frommer's guide. It has 3 self guided walking tours. My favorite is the Garden District.

Travel Tips for New Orleans

Something unexpectedly awesome

by malianrob

Meeting Captain Tom was great. He had lived in the swamps practically all his life and he was so knowledgeable about everything around here. We were also really lucky to see quite a few aligators concidering in was so cold out. Captain Tom has such a good eye at spotting animals in this area, it was incredible. At first I thought he was putting me on. He would say "oh look over there! There's an alligator I can see his eyes! and he would get so excited! The truth was that neither I nor anyone on the boat could see what he was looking at. To us everything looked like branches and leaves. But as we got closer and he would take his time so that we all got to see what he saw, I realized he was for real!
I couldnt imagine living out here in the swamps and catching my own food, everyday. Captain Tom seemed to really enjoy this life. He said the hard part was when he wanted to get married and he had to convince his wife that he wanted to live right here. He said there was ALOT of negotiating to do. Captain Tom took us by some of his homemade fishing traps that he had out. He was surprised to see a few fish in one and a couple of craps or something in the other. He said that people dont mess with his traps and the local people in the area jnow whose traps are whose.

Stay alert

by joemacaluso

Freeloving atmoshere, great beers on every corner in the French Quarter. Going down there on the decadance festival and making fun of all the homos and lezis. Also had some good times with Tulane girls during Mardi Gras, the only time they let there east coast reserved selfs out to play. No sex or nothing, they were just fun.

There is so much that a person...

by JalopyGirl

There is so much that a person 'must' do in New Orleans. The French Quarter goes without saying...very high on the list. A riverboat ride, a trip the the famous St Louis Cathedral and cemeteries, even a day at the zoo. The zoo is one of the best I've seen. Another 'really must' do is a swamp cruize. It's absolutely fantastic. The whole city and everything in it is the most wonderful memory I have a any vacation I've taken. I'm in love with N'awlins. (The weather was a little warm and humid for my liking, but everything else made up for it.) I even liked the gators!

Jean Lafitte National Park Historic Section

by grandmaR

There are six parts to the Jean Lafitte National Park. Five of the parts are outside New Orleans, but the sixth part is right in the French Quarter. They have exhibits there including a video tape and offer

Special Programs
9:30 a.m. French Quarter Tour: 25 person limit, first-come, first-served. Passes, limited to one per person, must be picked up in person on day of the tour. 90 minutes in length. One mile of walking. 11:30 a.m. History of New Orleans Stroll: This 45-minute ranger led lesson in local history visits the Mississippi River and Jackson Square. Beginning at 9:00 a.m., 25 free tickets available on a first-come, first served basis; each person wanting a ticket must be present.

There is a separate VT page for the visitor's center - check out the URL for

my page One of the things that the Visitor's Center has is a place to sit down and watch a film on New Orleans history. It is a place to rest your feet out of the weather - in our case, the weather was cold, but it would work if the weather was hot also.

Garden District

by Helga67

The Garden District is a residential area with luxurious mansions two miles upriver from the French Quarter. It was built in the 1840s by rich people in the cotton and trade business to show off their wealth. The mansions have big gardens, porches, balconies and columns. You can easily reach this area by the famous St. Charles Streetcar that will bring you from Canal/Carondelet Street, along the tree-lined St. Charles Street with many beautiful houses to the area. Get off at Washington Street and wander along the many wonderful houses and pay a visit to the Lafayette Cemetary.

Comments