3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

717 Orleans Street, (Formerly "Wyndham"), New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States

Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 64% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• debbjean's Profile Photo

Great Hotel!!

We go to New Orleans at least once a year and always stay at the Bourbon Orleans. The rooms are awesome. The suites are even better! They have a balcony over the street, which during Mardi Gras, is a big plus. THis hotel is a wonderfully historical place, also haunted I have heard.....have seen no ghosts though! Also there is a gorgeous patio and pool area.....just the place to enjoy a cool one in the afternoon!

Unique Quality: Great location! Right in the heart of the French Quarter...close to everything!! The restaurant is wonderful and the patio/pool area is beautiful!

Directions: French Quarter

• Bourbon Orleans

A beautiful hotel. The lobby is gorgeous as is the resturant and bar located there. Rooms are small, but that is to be expected in a historic building. Good service.

Unique Quality: Historic building. Good location.

• The Center of the French Quarter

Opened as a ballroom in 1817, turned into a motherhood and school by nuns in 1881, and turned into a hotel in 1964. They say this place is haunted. I didn't run into any spooks at this luxury hotel. It sits right on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans and is moderately priced for a French Quarter hotel. The staff is helpful and friendly. The rooms are spotless!!

Unique Quality: Concierge, restaurant, valet parking, outdoor pool. In room, cable TV, coffee maker, voicemail, internet access , ironing board, iron. Rooms start at $80/night. The cheaper rooms overlook Bourbon and Orleans Streets.....it can get loud at night. If you are a light sleeper, I recommend paying more for an inside room.

Directions: Corner of Bourbon and Orleans in the French Quarter.

• kylamees's Profile Photo

Bourbon Orleans

well, it's expensive hotel but worth it if You want to be on old town, in the centre of life...

Unique Quality: Victorian-style quiet, nice hotel with nice service, You can walk anywhere in the city from hotel. It's expensive, but breajfast is not included (breakfast is about USD 16)

More about The Bourbon Orleans Hotel

Great weekend getaway!

My husband and I visited the Bourbon Orleans on July 19-21. We were reluctant to stay there and actually cancelled our reservation due to bad reviews. After a few days of thinking about it we contacted Wyndam again and reserved the room for the weekend. The location was great! If you are looking for state of the art, brand new, etc... dont stay at the Bourbon Orleans, but if you are looking for a historic, pretty, well located hotel this is the place. The staff bent over backwards to do anything for us. We arrived at 9:00am and did not expect to be able to check in until 4:00pm. They advised that they were sold out the night before but we could change in the restrooms and lock our bags up.
By the time we changed and met with the very helpful bellman our room was ready (maybe 20 minutes) Yes the rooms are a little worn but they are in the process of a major renovation. The courtyard was beautiful, very intimate with beautiful plants, gas lanterns, cool pool. It was very relaxing. I might suggest also to visit the Wyndham Web site and become a Wyndam by request member. It is free and you will receive a welcome gift in your room of your selection. We selected Cheese and Crackers, Cokes, Bottled Water. We also requested our room be stocked with extra towels, extra pillows. Everything was as requested. If I visit again I will definately stay at the Bourbon Orleans.

Part of its charm

I was really nervous about staying at the Bourbon Orleans after reading the reviews but found it to be just fine! Yes, there was peeling wallpaper in the room we stayed in and it was definitly dated decour, however, each room is in the process of getting a $50,000 renovation.
That's EACH room and they just started it so you're not going to see a change yet if you go now (summer 2003). The staff told me by January you should see a noted difference. Don't forget, it is a very old hotel but, for me, that was a part of its charm. Our room was definitly clean and the staff was helpful. If you go, just don't expect state-of-the-art amenities, you'll be disappointed, but if you want a feel of history and New Orlean's peculiar personality, I highly recommend it. I would go back in a heartbeat, even w/o the renovation!

CRAP-OLA

I stayed with 6 friends in the Bourbon Orleans in Mid June this year.
Our room was dirty and had mold growing on the walls. Phone didn't work. AC didn't work. Tried getting ahold of a manager and were not able to. Did no good complaining. Staff didn't give a hoot. Dark and damp. Smelled musty . House Keeping was a joke. Random doors open in hallways, no guests I guess. Holes in the walls, Missing Pictures from walls. The Bar was never open. DON'T STAY HERE. Stay away. This hotel is a joke. We all stayed here a year ago, and this hotel doesn't even compare. Don't know what happened to the MANAGEMENT, but something obviously did.

Avoid this one!

For your own sake, PLEASE avoid this hotel. I stay in a lot of hotels during the course of the year. Sometimes I travel on business to rural locations and have to stay in motels that were built in the 1950s. I'm not terribly particular. But the Bourbon Orleans was the worst experience of my entire life. I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in March and discovered that all the terrible reviews about this hotel are true. It is old, but there is no excuse for the deplorable conditions in the rooms. I know that people who party in the rooms make it difficult to keep a hotel in the French Quarter looking perfect, but mold growing behind the wallpaper (which is why it peels) and under the carpets is unacceptable. The surfaces in the bathroom are the same surfaces that were installed in 1966 when the building was converted to a hotel. I returned home after this trip and was sick for two months and I believe that it was due to the mold. Every fabric surface in my room had some kind of stain on it! When I checked in, the people in line in front of me were swtiching to their third room because the previous two were unacceptable. The basic problem is that this hotel keeps filling up and making Wyndham money because of its location. It will stay this way until people start avoiding it. It's a complete dive!

Undergoing a Refurbishment

by TripAdvisor Member AlabamaTravelAgent

A friend and i recently stayed at the Wyndham Bourbon Orleans in early July. We checked in on a Sunday and were upgraded from a standard room to a two story townhouse suite with a balcony overlooking Bourbon Street by the most helpful front desk attendant, Christie. Sunday is most definitely the day to come in as the hotel will have been emptied after a weekend and upgrades may be available if you ask nicely.

Given, this is a historic hotel, but it has seen better days. This is why Wyndham is spending millions on a total refurbishment beginning on July 7th and ending at the later part of the year. You must realize that the hotels on Bourbon have some of the highest guest turn over rates because of location.

The carpet was stained (and green I might add), the wallpaper was worn in places and the furniture scuffed, but this is still a great hotel with a friendly and accommodating staff. I wouldn't suggest paying the rack rates at the property because of the condition...look for promo and weekend rates until the renovation is completed.

visiting and staying at Bourbon Orleans Wyndham

by rutheone08611

Wondering if this is a nice hotel...any comments?...we are going july 15-18...also we want to do the paranormal ghost thing in the evening...any comments on that?...
Is this a good part of town to stay in???...safe?
Looking forward to our long weekend!
Thanks
Ron

by Rixie

I don't know the hotel, but I took a look at the map. It's right in the middle of the French Quarter, close to Jackson Square, a very safe and central location. Plus, you'll be only about 3 blocks away from the starting point of the New Orleans Ghost Tour. See my tip: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/38cf6/c19b6/4/

by cromette

Your location is great. Wyndham is a name that's well respected. Although, I've never stayed in this particular hotel before...I wouldn't hesitate!

The ghost tours are usually very enjoyable. Also consider a vampire tour. Often times, the ghost tour info is covered on the vampire tour. Our favorite has been Haunted History Tours.

by uncledave

Great Hotel. It is located between Bourbon Street and Royal Street. He Bourbon Orleans has lots of history. I am a retired tour guide of 35 years in N.O. and have had many people tell me how much they enjoyed the B.O. Hotel. Take the Haunted History tour just a block away from Rev. Zombie's Voodo shop. They offer a good selection of Ghost, voodo, wichcraft, vampire tours. Tell them "Uncle Dave" recommended them. Your will enjoy them for sure. And it is as safe there as any place in the F.Q. Remember tourism is the largest industry in N.O. and the police Dept does an excellent job of protecting the tourist. Be sure to take a city tour. New Orleans has so much more than the French Quarter.